Surface GIVEAWAY contestants gather here

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
A little late to the party :( so only one post from me ^^

First great with a World wide giveaway ^^ THANKS!!!

Think the laptop looks great, and I like that they kept the standard USB instead of a USB-C, cause I have a ton of external drives on the old standard.
Also like the new windows version, its lite and for most laptop oriented work the apps in the store will suffice. And if not, you can up-great for free. No downside to it at all.

So hope I can win it, so I can finally put my 10+ year old brick to rest.

welcome galka_dk! wow a 10+ year old computer. i dont think me or my family has had a computer for that long. this would be a sweet upgrade for you! i dont think microsoft would pull an apple and completely remove usb-a so its great that usb-a is included. some people in here have expressed concern about having just 1 usb-a port which i can understand, but in my case its perfectly fine for my needs. welcome again, good luck, and who knows; this one entry you have could be the winning ticket haha. :p

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Well... better late than never. Welcome to the contest.

I'm really surprised this thread didn't hit 1000 posts.... Or is the little conversation sign and 738 (currently) the number of participants in the thread?

hey johnny. im surprised this hasnt hit 1000 posts yet too considering theres over 1000 comments in the contest announcement article in windows central. the number on the top right signifies what number the post was in the thread, so your post is number 739 out of currently 742 and this reply to you is number 742 of 742.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't know why but I think this post is a bit an unfair way to claim the prize, I mean why Windows Central would promote it once more after announced. No one can understand my fear, just leave this. Anyways, when after the winner will be announced.

hey surapathi. i think this thread is fine although i can see your frustration (post once in here instead of contributing in one of the other threads, most of which have legitimate questions asked, and the person who posted once wins). however, thats not true. rule 3 states 1 post equals 1 entry in the surface laptop forum but spam posts wont count so as long as you contribute as much as you can in the surface laptop forums (not only this thread) with responses that are thought out your chance of winning goes up. ive seen your posts in other threads so youre doing the right thing by contributing to the forums instead of posting "i want a laptop!" then dont say anything again. :wink:

LawdNikon

May 31, 2017
Visit site
So I will look for the answer to this in one of the dedicated forums too but does anyone know if the power brick will finally transfer data? That's a way to add an extra port to the surface without having to build it in the body since MS hasn't done that yet-and I know the Surface Connect port can transfer data because when connected to the dock it transfers the ethernet data. I know currently the brick only supplies usb power though. Has anyone heard anything about this amongst all the other news?

Galka_DK

May 30, 2017
Visit site
welcome galka_dk! wow a 10+ year old computer. i dont think me or my family has had a computer for that long. this would be a sweet upgrade for you! i dont think microsoft would pull an apple and completely remove usb-a so its great that usb-a is included. some people in here have expressed concern about having just 1 usb-a port which i can understand, but in my case its perfectly fine for my needs. welcome again, good luck, and who knows; this one entry you have could be the winning ticket haha. :p

Thanks k1s23,
To clarify only my laptop is that old (but even my gaming PC is nearing its 5th year, but has a GTX 690 so still works fine) but my laptop has mainly been for browsing, and write/reading, so it hasn't been warranted to splurge on an upgreate :(

GrizzlyStrong

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What are the extensions in particular that you are looking for. I use chromes but not much of extension user so no aware. Would be interesting to see what else is there and its use case.

Well I'm a programmer I use Postman and others like it it. Also Chrome has some great Parental Controls for youtube like Bloksi and several others. As a power user I like having the options of different Extensions

GrizzlyStrong

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
hey there. my reasoning for why microsoft doesnt sell the surface laptop with the screen folding all the way back (or convertible notebook) is because thats what the surface book can do. the surface laptop is the "happy medium" between the surface pro and surface book, so if youd like something with a reversible screen or even a detachable screen then go with the surface book, if you want a tablet that you can attach a keyboard then go with the surface pro, but if you just want a laptop then go with the surface laptop..

Hi K1s23,

I don't disagree with any of what you stated, but I think the Surface Book is not a "Happy Medium" its just a bad compromise. I know the Surface Book can fold over but it also detaches and when closed it has a bump that many of us don't like. So my point if you are going to add a touchscreen, make it usable where you can fold the screen back. I feel that Microsoft leaves these functionalities out to added to future models.
Same thing goes for USB-C it something that the industry is making standard and yet its still not added to the current surface products

i had also addressed the touch feature on the surface laptop in another thread but heres why i think microsoft included it: if you think about all of the non-accessory surface products (surface pro, surface laptop, surface book, surface studio, and often-forgotten surface hub) each product incorporates touch. a surface product without touch just doesnt fit in the "family" of products. it wasnt a choice to add touch capability in the surface laptop, it was pretty much mandatory

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks k1s23,
To clarify only my laptop is that old (but even my gaming PC is nearing its 5th year, but has a GTX 690 so still works fine) but my laptop has mainly been for browsing, and write/reading, so it hasn't been warranted to splurge on an upgreate :(

youre welcome. i see, so the devices you have are okay even for now but because they are okay its not necessary to get something new. im the same with you. my macbook pro is going on year 5 and its still sufficient to do my work and research on and even watching videos in 1080p arent a problem. i could definitely use an upgrade but its not at the point that i absolutely need a new computer. i guess its good that weve been holding back on buying new computers since the surface laptop was just announced. :p

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Is surface laptop can perform as surface pro

hey asutosh. yes, in fact if you look at the most basic version of the surface laptop and the most basic i5 surface pro (both retailing for $999 before tax) they both have an i5 chip, 4 gb of ram, and 128 gb storage. unless you dont need something thats a fabulous tablet that acts as a laptop (the surface pro), it would be cheaper to get the surface laptop because the type cover adds an additional $150+ to the cost of the surface pro.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi K1s23,

I don't disagree with any of what you stated, but I think the Surface Book is not a "Happy Medium" its just a bad compromise. I know the Surface Book can fold over but it also detaches and when closed it has a bump that many of us don't like. So my point if you are going to add a touchscreen, make it usable where you can fold the screen back. I feel that Microsoft leaves these functionalities out to added to future models.
Same thing goes for USB-C it something that the industry is making standard and yet its still not added to the current surface products

hey grizzlystrong, thanks for your reply. i see what youre saying. youd like something like the dell xps 13 2 in 1 or lenovo 720 13 inch that folds back completely flat? i agree with you thats a more pleasing look than the surface book hinge, and also maybe in the near future we will find out why microsoft chose not to design a 2 in 1 laptop.

as to microsoft leaving out functionalities to put in future models: i think companies intentionally leave out things to add to future models of products. look at apple with nfc. nfc was around for years and many phones started having the technology except apple and finally introduced it to the iphone 6, iphone 6 plus, and apple watch. even my lumia 920 had nfc and it came out 2 years prior.

formalcomparison

May 20, 2017
Visit site

hi. I disagree with you about the surface book. I think it is a great choice for those who want a laptop that can be also a tablet when you need it to be more comfortable. It is different from the surface pro because it is initially a laptop and, if you need to change position, you can fold the screen back or use it like a tablet. It is not a "happy medium" , is a laptop that offers all the three possibility ( standard laptop , fold the screen or use it like a tablet ) and it is also a powerful device. I agree with you about the design , it must reflect your tastes.

you're right , the touch screen in the surface laptop is not a really useful thing but it is alway a spec that ,with all the others, could give more value to it. If you don't want to use it you can do it without consequences in the experience

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm a bit wary of the alcatara fabric getting dirty but otherwise its a nice laptop

hey dave, check out the post that onlysublime had made in another thread regarding the alcantara fabric https://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=459123&p=3673198&viewfull=1#post3673198 seems like hes had the best success with the alcantara fabric out of all the keyboards hes used which is reassuring to hear. no matter what, wear and tear is inevitable but if you routinely keep things clean itll be pretty and last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99