Will Surface Laptop be a good medium game machine?

DarrenSproat

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
For light gaming, yes. But, to be clear, a hardcore gamer will not likely be satisfied with Surface Laptop as their primary gaming machine.

MizuNoHane

May 22, 2014
Visit site
One of the things Dan mentioned that I thought was interesting that I hadn't really considered was that the Laptop could potentially power past the Surface Pro 4 in gaming because its bigger design allowed for a better heat sink. Hadn't really thought about that - maybe the SL can outperform the SP4 in gaming after all?

tinkerwzo

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice if the Surface Laptop can do "medium" gaming. I have a Surface Pro 4 core i7. I guess it will depend on the type of games. The UWP tablet/phone like games, definitely not an issue. Bigger games like Recore, you can hear the SP4 struggle as it kicks the fan high. It's playable. Games from GOG or games that doesn't have heavy GPU requirements, SP4 can handle it. Surface Pro 4 top of the line uses Intel Iris 540 where Surface Laptop host the newer Intel Iris 640. From a spec's point of view, SL might outperform the SP4, but by how much? Surface Book, on the other hand, has a NVidia GPU, which can beat Intel Iris, at a greater cost of course.

LordM00

May 12, 2017
Visit site
For the price of the surface laptop, I was able to build my own desktop gaming PC and a chromebook. If you want a computer to game on, I'd recommend doing this. If you've got a higher budget, and want a pc that doesn't look like a decepticon, id recommend the Gigabyte Aero 14. Its basically an ultrabook with a GTX 1060.

Username92

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I have a Surface Book with performance base, i7, 16GB, 512ssd, 2GB GPU and I still feel very limited with gaming. The number one thing they should have included with the Surface Laptop is a Thunderbolt 3 port!!!! Then you could have an external GPU enclosure. Then you could have the best of sheik portability and powerful desktop performance. As of now the surface laptop will not be able to drive Adobe/AutoCAD/A-Games

justmikey

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
With theaters krabylake i7 processor and 16GB RAM why wouldn't it be? I think the surface laptop is going to be an amazing machine. Sure, it's not designed as a gaming machine but I'm certain with the right specs it will beat many of our expectations.

anon(9547485)

May 13, 2017
Visit site
My laptop is running the broadwell HD 5500 and have a decent game list of League of Legends, Factorio, Mini Metro, Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, Tomb Raider 2013, Civ 5, Besiege, StarCraft 2, Overwatch, and probably a few more.
Most of these games aren't too demanding so they run at around Medium or High while games like Tomb Raider run at a mix of low and med settings.
While HD 620 isn't a real leap in graphical performance, it should run a little better than what I have currently. So I would say it should modern games at maybe low settings.

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I doubt Surface laptop was designed for gaming, but I assume you can play the medium games at a lower frame rate to not exert such a load on the graphics.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Given that it doesn't have a dGPU you should be getting about 40-60 fps on medium settings for Counterstrike:Global Offensive (maybe a bit more on the Iris models). As I already said in a thread that is very similar to this one, it should be slightly better than on the Surface Pro 4 because of the newer processors and newer graphics, but it's not exactly meant for gaming. You can't even install some of the games out of the box because of the Windows 10 S. Anyways, that could be a lot different if it had a Thunderbolt 3 port. Then you could be playing around with external GPUs and that would make significant difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99