05-24-2017 09:44 AM
37 12
tools
    As a recent graduate, the Surface Laptop is incredibly appealing.
    • excellent screen
    • amazing build quality
    • light and thin, making is easily portable
    • SSD and 7th gen Intel Core i5 or i7 should make for speedy performance
    • Battery life should be pretty good as well, which is essential for students
    • Windows Hello will allow you to log in without a password
    • No crapware is a HUGE plus

Honestly though, the most appealing thing to me is that Windows 10 S only runs store applications. Now that may sound counter-intuitive, but hear me out: store apps install and uninstall cleanly, meaning your system won't degrade anywhere as much over time. In other words, it will still be a great laptop by the time you graduate. I only wish I could say that of the hp that I bought going into college. It now lies waiting to be recycled.
    Photonsym likes this.
    05-15-2017 08:51 PM
    This one's easy - absolutely! Students want great looking devices that are light and portable, offer outstanding battery life, and provide a fast and seamless user experience. This laptop, as advertised, should do just that. It's not trying to be a hardcore gamer's laptop, but as long as the upgrade from S to the regular version doesn't slow it down, I'm confident this will work perfectly for upwards of 95% of college users.
    05-15-2017 09:28 PM
    I think the Surface Laptop will excel in K-12 environments. My friends and I used to easily gain administrator rights on the school's computers back then, and to put it simply, cause trouble and annoyance for the school's tech guy (sorry if you're reading this). We even used to bring in portable versions of Unreal Tournament and Halo CE and have a LAN party in the middle of class.. This is why Windows 10 S is EXCELLENT for K-12.

However for university settings, it depends on what the student is studying. I'm sure for English/history/etc. majors, the Surface Laptop is a winner. Lightweight, great build quality (assuming), touchscreen, relatively affordable especially with the education discount.

But as a soon to be mechanical and electrical engineering graduate, the Surface Laptop itself would barely suffice, and the upgrade to full W10 is a necessity. There are so many Win32 programs that are required for each course. You'd fail out of the intro to engineering 101 course without W10 Pro or Mac OS X. (Of course there are computers on campus but that isn't the point)

My SP4 i7 is barely powerful enough for some programs, long MATLAB scripts will not compile and I'd have to soft reset. I mainly use it for OneNote, which it's amazing at, but do all my coursework on my desktop w/4690K.
    Captain_Eric and Photonsym like this.
    05-15-2017 09:49 PM
    As others have said, I think part of the motive here is for K-12 school IT administrators. They gain considerable control over a network of computers. Which makes sense. Buying for yourself? Get whatever suits you.
    05-15-2017 09:59 PM
    Missing the big picture here.
    OEMs are already releasing 10 S laptops, starting at $189. Acer TravelMate Spin B1 and HP ProBook x360.
    Of course these are not expected to run Pro. The Surface Laptop is just an example and has no hope of being picked up by schools, just something to show 10 S.
    05-15-2017 10:43 PM
    It is indeed directed towards the education market but it's not designed to go mainstream. It is a premium device showcasing 10S and part of bigger goal to boost the Windows Store.
    Microsoft has set a benchmark for it's OEM partners. The devices made by them will be affordable and will compete with the Chromebooks we have today. It will also target the Macbook market.
    The only thing I'm afraid of is marketing. Let's hope this beauty doesn't become a victim of Microsoft's poor promotion.
    05-15-2017 11:58 PM
    If you're a student that still needs to draw/write, such as engineering students, no I think it completely fails for the STEM types.
    05-20-2017 09:08 PM
    The device may be targeted for students but is a bit limited I feel without the whole windows 10 pro edition at least for university students. Windows10 S may be good for student at a school level where they are not really needed to use a lot of other software.
    Give the surface laptop the pro edition of windows and you have a near perfect device for use. I say near perfect due to the lack of USB c and the use of the alcantara keyboard. I'm a bit skeptical about how well it will age.
    05-22-2017 11:23 AM
    I am a computer science college student and would very much like to use a Surface Laptop for school. Its really an amazingly specification built device
    hello. im curious to know what programs you would need to efficiently work/study on the surface laptop. would all of the programs you need be available in the store?
    05-23-2017 02:56 AM
    Sure as long as you don't have to do heavy rendering/modelling.
    05-23-2017 12:11 PM
    Sure as long as you don't have to do heavy rendering/modelling.
    hey photonsym, i think thats partially true. when i was watching the surface laptop presentation with that medical app being showcased on the surface laptop i thought that kind of power from a uwp app was incredible (the i5 or i7 kaby lake processors definitely do help) because a lot of rendering needed to be done to show the human body and the transitions of the different layers etc.
    Photonsym likes this.
    05-24-2017 01:19 AM
    hey photonsym, i think thats partially true. when i was watching the surface laptop presentation with that medical app being showcased on the surface laptop i thought that kind of power from a uwp app was incredible (the i5 or i7 kaby lake processors definitely do help) because a lot of rendering needed to be done to show the human body and the transitions of the different layers etc.
    Well would be great if it could. Reduces the need for a secondary machine for all that jazz
    05-24-2017 09:44 AM
37 12