Why there isn't dedicated GPU variant when Surface Book has one?

kegare

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Isn't it weird that Surface Book which is tablet with performance base has discrete GPU and device, that's real latop has't? With lates 10-series of Nvidia GPUs I believe there are cards which could fot in it's body.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think that's because that would make a Surface Laptop far more expensive than it already is. The majority of population this is made for also doesn't need a dGPU, though if they have included a Thunderbolt 3 port, those who are in need of GPU could use an external graphics card. If they really wanted to fit one in they would, though that would also make the Surface Laptop heavier and they don't want it to be heavy but rather the thinnest and lightest they can make with the best possible performance and battery life.

EDIT:

As Drael646464 already said, the dGPU in Surface Book is located in the keyboard base, that's why you can't disconnect the clipboard when system requires dGPU for it to work.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Not sure I'd class the book as a tablet. It seems like its hardware is in the base, rather than behind the screen.

I'd like to see a mini surface with dedicated graphics and telephony. Would be boss for both MR and AI/calling/mobility pc. A jack of all trades.

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I mean realistically, if you need the horsepower of a DGPU, you're gonna go with the surface book anyway. If you look at the categories the surface lineup satisfies (pro for 2/1 tablet flexibility, book for a range of flexibility to include heavy duty performance requirements, etc), the laptop is one of those categories that's middle range and will last a student in particular their college career. An engineering student may need a book, an English, history or maybe mathematics major may need laptop

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Its mainly to do with price. Nvidia GPUs dont come cheap, so if Microsoft's target was students in college, they wouldnt want to unnecessarily raise the price with the dGPU. THat being said, wouldnt mind a Surface Laptop with one, I think it would be super cool

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Not sure I'd class the book as a tablet. It seems like its hardware is in the base, rather than behind the screen.

I'd like to see a mini surface with dedicated graphics and telephony. Would be boss for both MR and AI/calling/mobility pc. A jack of all trades.

The CPU/Ram/MB/Storage/small battery are all in the "tablet". The base just has the GPU and extra battery.

But I certainly agree that a mini surface would be very cool.

Rohit Salian

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
DGPU: It makes a Laptop more heavier no more sleek design which wouldn't be more feasible to carry around more often.
Probably Surface Laptop's are aimed for such kind off situations more Feasible to carry around, Battery Backup, Light Weight.
So DGPU wouldn't be a great idea instead giving a Thunderbolt 3 port could be Nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire