does the surface's lack usb type C put you off the surface?

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I honestly don't use a single usb-c device rn so it's easier to just have a display port/hdmi , some type A's and an sd card slot. However, I defo see the benefits and I guess it would'nt hurt to have it but I'm in no rush to switch.

Matt Dorris

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Most new laptops and contain the new USB type c. It's easy to use and is alot faster. The surface line lacks many of these ports. But is it required?

I really love the Surface Laptop but lack of USB C does concern me because USB C is the future standard. I think the pros of the device outweigh this drawback. For now at least.

anon(99259)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not at all. I think all of the fuss is misplaced. If MS could only fit one USB, then I think they chose correctly with type A. The target audience is college students and USB A is much more prevalent with peripherals, cables, memory sticks, etc. That being said, it would be nice if it had one of each!

Yukthi Lochana

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
This kind of puts me off tbh, as most of the other brands (including ones that run Windows) has already started adapting to USB-C, I see it as a must, specially in the years to come. It's a better design and an interface compared USB-A in everyway once it gets standardized, as it supports the next gen USB interface (which is 3.1), being able connect just more than peripherals, (that is the ability to charge the device through the same port) connect a sleek small connector which can be plugged in either way, and lastly the fact that it reducing the gap between mobile and desktop by using a common port/interface. So I'd say (at least for the people who are not planning to upgrade for years to come) they could have at least included a single USB-C to the device to be more future proof I guess. :)

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
A bit but not enough to deter me from giving serious thought to buying it.

The specs are nice. The battery life on it's own (14 hours?) has my attention. It has the minimum specs for mixed reality headsets and enough power for everything I want to do.

However I want to invest in an external GPU in a year or two and the Surface laptop does not have thunderbolt capability necessary for the kind of external GPUs I'm considering. If only it had one, but MS is correct, usb-c is still immature and most of my devices run on usb-a but If I'm buying for the next 4 years I want to future-proof myself by having a usb-c port.

jaygss

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It bothers me, because since getting the 950 (and a nexus 5x), it would have been nice, if the surface book could have had a USB-C charging port (not just communication), so on trips etc. I can just bring one charger for all my stuff instead of having to bring one for the laptop (still).

MizuNoHane

May 22, 2014
Visit site
It does bother me, but the Surface Dock eventually aims to supplant that, in which case it'd be fine by me (I'd still rather not have a power cable that could drag my laptop off the table with a slight tug!). It does slightly hurt the longevity of the device but I don't think it's a deal breaker - if you are the student or postgrad who is using this extensively for work and productivity and even low-power gaming, I think the Dock would satisfy all your needs, and then some.

rvsphinx

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm a bit torn, I expected type c but on the other hand I can understand why they don't feel the need as of yet. But what really worries me, is we all get a surface laptop and then a pro edition comes out with type C then I would be a bit upset. But for now I don't have much of anything with a type C connector. Well as you can see, I'm torn on the subject!! :)

chain13

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I think surface connector serves the same purposes. With the dock you can use some usb 3s, Ethernet, output displays etc etc that at least has the same transfer data rate output as thunderbolt or type c. But it has all the nowadays available ports you need. If only they could make the price a bit reasonable, eventhough I know it's not just a dongle, it also has power supply to charge the device.

Liang Song

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft could just update the Surface Dock to include USB Type C connectors when devices with Type C connectors are more common, as well as provide a GPU option. The lack of Type C connector on the Surface Laptop is hardly a problem. Probably for goodwill, Microsoft could consider bundling the Surface Laptop with a Dock, a Dial, a Pen and a Mouse, either for free or at low cost.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I was a little upset when I found out it didn't have any USB-C ports, not even a single one.

Why the mini Displayport? It's an outdated connector, that USB-C is superior in every way. Could drive a 4K monitor while at the same time charging the laptop, with one cord. They could even add Thunderbolt 3 if they wanted.

These legacy ports need to die, but with a better replacement ready to go, ala USB-C. Apple was the innovator in this, with the original iMac ditching all the serial ports and floppy drives for USB and CDs, respectively. Then later with the MBA and MBP omitting the disc drive all together in favor of the cloud and USB drives. In both cases, people were upset, but got used to it, because the replacements are better in every way.

Let's not talk post Jobs, Cook is simply chasing profits and does not have the mind that Jobs did. From the iPhone 5 to 7, what's changed? Really, other than small little features, nothing. 3.5mm jacks do not have a proper replacement yet, USB-C is the closest thing. And will apple give up their Lightning port and all the royalties they make from it to go to the new industry standard? Maybe in another dimension.

Anyways. The Surface Laptop should definitely have ditched the mini-displayport for a USB-C, one USB-A, and the Surface connector. MicroSD/SD would have been nice too.

I basically gave away all my micro-USB cables because all of my devices use USB-C. USB-A to C adapters are literally less than a dollar on ebay.

Don't get me wrong, I will definitely be purchasing this laptop for my girlfriend if I don't win it. Getting my Surface Pro 4 from a 2011 MBP was like when I switched from Windows 2000/XP to Mac OS X and a Titanium PowerBook G4. A world of difference. Oh how the tables have turned.

USB-C is the future, adopt it or get left behind, and keep Windows Phone alive. Lumia 950 for life.

Goodnight everyone.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hello. i would have liked to have a usb-c port, but i agree that it wasnt a necessity. however, arent there laptops now that charge via a usb-c plug? although the connector to charge the surface laptop is good, that wouldve been nice to have as i have an anker portable battery with a usb-c port in it that could charge the laptop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb