Will the Surface laptop have enough for developer?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
It can all be installed if you upgrade the system to Windows 10 Pro. Out of the box that would be impossible, though there are compilers in Windows Store that allow you test some code like #Code .

Hafeez M

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I don't think so bcz you cant download most developer programs like photoshop or dreamweaver from the windows store. Unless off course you upgrade to Windows Pro in that case i think the specs of the surface laptop are pretty good but if you plan to devlope games or do 3D modelling you may want to buy the razor blade pro or something similar.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I don't think so bcz you cant download most developer programs like photoshop or dreamweaver
Uhm, Photoshop and Dreamweaver serve totally different purpose than Visual Studio and VS Code. Surface Laptop should run Photoshop "ok" but it wouldn't have the best performance for video editing and gaming, though that's a lot different from coding.

MizuNoHane

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Specs wise I'm sure it would be totally fine. It's the getting the apps part that might be hard, though since you could install Linux on it, or have a program that remote desktops into a Linux distro, you could theoretically run all the really important engineering programs like Matlab and such on even its lowest-tier version.

abrichman

May 28, 2015
Visit site
- Python can be installed ?
- What about Visual Studio?
- and VS Code?

To me, this is an ideal ultra mobile developer rig conceptually once you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro provided you don't need much in the way of virtualization. And even if you do need a hypervisor, I run a single VM guest on an SP2 (core i5/8/256) and only have to watch out for memory use (warning, Hyper-V is not as memory friendly as VMware Workstation Player/Pro). I anticipate a Surface Laptop for myself at some point (thinking of sticking with the i5/256 spec) as the Pro 2 is adequate now (even keeping with the same spec, today's internals are more performant). I should note, if you haven't seen the size of the install for the Mobile Developer in VS 2017 is pretty massive so that would have an impact from a free space required perspective, but you can get away with a pretty complete toolset (VS 2017 Pro) at around 11GB installed otherwise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes