Surface Laptop with a 360° hinge? Why not?

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I do feel that the surface pro is still the best 2 in 1, all bedding is the kickstand. My friend has a surface book, I can't get past the screen wobble.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed that it doesn't. By marketing it to students and supporting the Surface Pen, it absolutely should. My guess is that implementing a 360 hinge would have made the device thicker, and/or messed up the design they were going for too much.

Orlando Grillo

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Actually I see it on a different way. My sister's laptop has a traditional laptop and its hinge broke because the opening angle is limited. She constantly tryed to open it more than the limit (also our cats helped to force it even more). My old non convertible laptop also had a limited angle which, in some situations was too short. I have no such problems with my HP Spectre. So, being able to fully rotate actually may prevent the hinge from breaking.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I would have preferred the 360. Sometimes its just more convenient.

I guess it all depends on the user needs

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if the screen orientation is able to flip or rotate when turned upside down, not ideal but the screen could be put on the desk while the base sticks up at an angle to use the pen.

It's about the only way you could use the pen to ink, I remove the keyboard from my pro when using the pen extensively.

Yes you can rotate the screen upside down and use the screen flat on a table. the plus side is you will get all the attention from people for using a laptop the other way round.

jmork

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Im wondering this too. While its a beautiful laptop, it doesnt take advantage of the interesting thing about windows 10, which is touch input... I'm into its beauty, but disappointed by its lack of forward thinking...

jmork

May 23, 2017
Visit site
True, but the Book is annoying since you have to detach all peripherals when you want to switch it. Its beautiful as a tablet, but no ports :(

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Im wondering this too. While its a beautiful laptop, it doesnt take advantage of the interesting thing about windows 10, which is touch input... I'm into its beauty, but disappointed by its lack of forward thinking...

hey jmork, im totally okay with this. i prefer to type everything instead of write so this form is okay with me. if i liked to write then i would buy the surface pro instead as it is both an excellent writing pad and pc.

veromeo ramirez

May 27, 2017
Visit site
Owning a HP Specter X360, I've already seen some benefits of its folding capabilities, mainly for stand purposes and sometimes so I can have the screen closer to me when I'm watching movies. Still, not having 360 capabilities is not a deal breaker, I consider it more as an added bonus.

IMHO, I think a big part of the market is not yet ready to embrace convertibles seeing them mainly just as a gimmick. I mean its not a feature you're required to use. Its just good that the 360 capability is there when you need it but then again, this will cater to ordinary people who prefer traditional laptops.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
msft made a computer that fit into a traditional notebook form factor for those who simply want a premium notebook.

they already have a surface book - primarily a notebook that can turn into a tablet. they have the surface pro - primarily a tablet that can turn into a notebook.

from that perspective, it kinda makes sense. touch interface is just a common feature across the surface line.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Not everyone wants a convertible laptop. Some of us just want a thin and light laptop with amazing build quality, and without the compromises that comes with a 360/detachable screen. Luckily for us, MS has built laptops for both categories.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster