Surface Laptop with a 360° hinge? Why not?

PeteBeast

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
So of course everyone here has asked this question: how is it that this Laptop has a touch interface but doesn't have a rotating screen to accompany it?

I was thinking about how this fares against one of my favorite laptops, the Lenovo Yoga, and it would have been a direct hit to that laptop; do you guys think this is the reason it wasn't done? Perhaps they'll release a Surface Book 2 with something similar and leave the Surface Laptop as is, I just don't see why it wasn't done, considering how awkward most situations are while using a touch screen on a non-convertible device (I have a Toshiba Satellite so I know what I'm talking about). It's great for scrolling on websites and a few things here and there, but the fact that it isn't convertible is kinda off-putting.

What are your thoughts?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I find rotating the screen for 360 degrees inconvenient and awkward as I prefer detachable screens.

People asked Panos Panay on the release day why doesn't Surface Laptop have a detachable/360° rotatable screen he answered that that is simply because they were asked to make a device in standard laptop form factor as there are Surface devices that are 2-in-1s already out there. It's true though that using a pen would be easier with a 360° hinge or detachable screen, or even just with a kickstand (which I would prefer the most).

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I'd rather they leave it as is. The Surface Book is for those who need the added flexibility. I'm assuming I'm not alone is wanting a solid laptop without the extra weight/bulk/etc of a hinge and/or detachable screen. I have an iPad I use as a tablet. I have a Surface Book that I NEVER use as anything other than a laptop. I'll be "trading" it for a Surface Laptop. There is room for both, the "MS admits it was wrong by building a true laptop" narratives notwithstanding.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I agree. I have a Spectre X360 and use it "flipped" 1/3 of the time. The inability of the Surface laptop to flip, effectively renders the pen support useless. They could have left out the pen and all the stuff in the screen that supports the pen and save some costs to pass onto the end user.

vrans99

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
It would be great, but that will put the Surface Laptop in the Surface Book terrain. So I don't think it will happen.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It would be great, but that will put the Surface Laptop in the Surface Book terrain. So I don't think it will happen.

hello. i agree with this statement. that function alone of flipping the tablet around puts the surface book in a different category as the surface laptop, so although they look different it would be redundant to have the surface laptop provide the generally same kind of function if it had a totally reversible hinge.

Zoltan H

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
People asked Panos Panay on the release day why doesn't Surface Laptop have a detachable/360° rotatable screen he answered that that is simply because they were asked to make a device in standard laptop form factor as there are Surface devices that are 2-in-1s already out there.

I think Panos very well knows, that this omission of a rotating screen will hurt sales pretty much, if consumers compare the offerings of the competition. They offer versatility - with appropriate pen and touch input in tablet mode - that they spent so much time preaching about, and in a lower price range.

I think this is a major blunder, that will cost them, we shall see.

So I agree with OP's opening statement, it is certainly off-putting, I was excited, and would have considered buying one, but this is a no-go for me.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think Panos very well knows, that this omission of a rotating screen will hurt sales pretty much, if consumers compare the offerings of the competition. They offer versatility - with appropriate pen and touch input in tablet mode - that they spent so much time preaching about, and in a lower price range.

I think this is a major blunder, that will cost them, we shall see.

So I agree with OP's opening statement, it is certainly off-putting, I was excited, and would have considered buying one, but this is a no-go for me.

Whose sales? Microsoft does not make devices to compete to their partners, but to show them how hardware is done. The ones they want to compete to directly are Apple.

Besides, I don't see why would they make a whole new convertible/2-in-1 product family if they already have 3 device categories for that - Surface, Surface Pro and Surface Book. I think that's pretty enough and that it's obvious that they just made a traditional laptop because they were asked to do so.

OriginalLucy

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am not exactly a fan of the rotating screen either. It is just one more thing to break on my laptop. I am happy with the traditional laptop form factor, but that's just me.

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I would say it's primarily because the Surface line already has a 2-in-1 in the form of the Surface Book. Granted, it's far more expensive, but then you have the Surface Pro, "the tablet that can replace your laptop", which is priced much closer to the Surface Laptop and offers 2-in-1 functionality much better suited to pen use. There's also the issue of branding. Surface Laptop is very clear and easy for consumers to understand, it's a really good laptop. So if a laptop is all you're looking for (as many people are) then look no further. Another reason might be that adding a 360 hinge might have been a design challenge they didn't want to have to deal with.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I wonder if the screen orientation is able to flip or rotate when turned upside down, not ideal but the screen could be put on the desk while the base sticks up at an angle to use the pen.

It's about the only way you could use the pen to ink, I remove the keyboard from my pro when using the pen extensively.

iThunderbirt

VR Expert
Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I had the opportunity to see my wife's work laptop which is a Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1 laptop. I was very impress to see how thin it was and was the first time I see a laptop put into a "tent mode". I know Microsoft as the Surface Book and Tablets, I would find it cool if there was a Surface Laptop similar to the Yoga. But in the end, the Surface Laptop is nice as is in my opinion :)

That being said, I agree with other comments on this post, I prefer not to have a 360 hinge.

MizWylie

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
I have a HP 360 and it really just doesn't impress me as far as flipping it into a tablet or using tent mode. I bought it at a steep discount for the touchscreen. I admittedly would not use a 360 hinge option if the Surface Laptop came with it

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
There are some people (like Dan) that don't really have a need for a 360 hinge, so that's not an issue at all for them. I have the HP Envy x360, pen included, and I put the hinge to good use around 40-50% of the time - roughly 55% as laptop, 25% stand, and 20% as tablet (I haven't found a way to benefit from tent form).

If the Surface did have a 360 hinge, at least those of us that want it can choose to fold it back, and those who don't, don't.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not an artist, but occasionally I still find myself drawing on my SP3, and the SL's inability to flip would mean I couldn't do this properly anymore, which then would be a bit of an inconvenience. But for most other work I do, the SL would actually be a better fit!

Wei-Zhang

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
of course, detachable would be the best, if it can hold the same powerfulness and battery life.
there is a compromise.

right now, convertible is not so great, it's not light weight enough.

LennH

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I'd say because 360° hinges make the laptop bulkier, screen wobble would be more significant when touched and it's a little weird having the moving keys resting on a surface (no pun intended lol). I know it would be deactivated so no key strokes are registered but it's still a little weird. Also people have been asking for a normal laptop form factor, so they made one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion