$999.00 PC that you can't install an alternative browser by default!?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Bing is pretty bad in my country too (Trinidad and Tobago)

My biggest gripe with edge is that tabs don't sync with other devices.

And now, bookmarks in the edge ebook reader also do not sync.

Other than that, the browser has come a long way and is constantly being improved.

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Browsers in the store need to be edge rendering compatible. Chrome made a ios rendering engine compatible version of their browser for apple products, so they could do the same thing. There is a monument browser and also UC browser in the store already.

Chrome and Safari for the longest time used the same rendering engine WebKit, until a couple years ago when Google switched to Blink. So it wasn't hard for Google to roll out a version for iOS utilizing WebKit to comply with App Store rules seeing that Blink is a forked version of WebKit. The same cannot be said about Chrome on Windows 10S. I'm not saying its impossible, I'm just saying its improbable as it would require a lot more time and investment from Google where I'm not too sure they're that interested as Windows 10S directly competes with Google's Chromebook ambitions

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Chrome and Safari for the longest time used the same rendering engine WebKit, until a couple years ago when Google switched to Blink. So it wasn't hard for Google to roll out a version for iOS utilizing WebKit to comply with App Store rules seeing that Blink is a forked version of WebKit. The same cannot be said about Chrome on Windows 10S. I'm not saying its impossible, I'm just saying its improbable as it would require a lot more time and investment from Google where I'm not too sure they're that interested as Windows 10S directly competes with Google's Chromebook ambitions

But globally the chromeOS is about as popular in the PC market as windows 10 mobile is in the smartphone market.

Google is a search company, they make no money from chromeOS. They only make it indirectly from search. Same with android.

If windows s, with its bing default search engine makes any real headway, that's the real threat to their margins. Same reason why MS makes smartphone software for android, and google makes google assistant now for iOS, google will want to keep a presence in windows 10.

With MS increasingly doggedly pursuing UWP, truly bullish and determined as they should be, its really only a matter of when. When enough of the PC market gets their apps from the store, google will want to be there, to keep their search revenue.

Possible windows s won't do it. Although personally if I were google I'd do it. Windows has more global mindshare in desktop/notebook, more of a bulwark in education - so windows s has a good chance of success especially as opposed to chrome, which faces the same growth limitations as a range of other US only stories AND no one can afford to lose young minds.

And they later they leave getting into the store, the more they risk losing search revenue/google search customers, their primary income stream.

Basically all they do by delaying this as long as possible, is give MS a chance to catch up in the search game. It is after all still right now, a higher search market share, than chromeOS has pc OS marketshare, or windows 10 mobile has mobile marketshare OR even windows tablets have tablet marketshare - bing is a genuine threat. Windows, not so much (most windows users do use google).

So the threats there are - default search engine, default browser and AI assistant. Which is entirely featured in "s".

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
But globally the chromeOS is about as popular in the PC market as windows 10 mobile is in the smartphone market.

Google is a search company, they make no money from chromeOS. They only make it indirectly from search. Same with android.

If windows s, with its bing default search engine makes any real headway, that's the real threat to their margins. Same reason why MS makes smartphone software for android, and google makes google assistant now for iOS, google will want to keep a presence in windows 10.

With MS increasingly doggedly pursuing UWP, truly bullish and determined as they should be, its really only a matter of when. When enough of the PC market gets their apps from the store, google will want to be there, to keep their search revenue.

Possible windows s won't do it. Although personally if I were google I'd do it. Windows has more global mindshare in desktop/notebook, more of a bulwark in education - so windows s has a good chance of success especially as opposed to chrome, which faces the same growth limitations as a range of other US only stories AND no one can afford to lose young minds.

Can you imagine if Microsoft made Windows 10 s a free version that anyone could download and install on any device.

Man, it would be windows 10 everywhere and devs, including google, would want a piece of that pie.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Can you imagine if Microsoft made Windows 10 s a free version that anyone could download and install on any device.

Man, it would be windows 10 everywhere and devs, including google, would want a piece of that pie.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Well they could make it time limited. That's a really good idea. Like free windows s license for anyone for 3 years. MS would still make money from app sales and services. Although they'd probably have to bump the pro upgrade price up, to prevent pro for being just 50 bucks.

I like that. OEMs would make cheaper machines, pirates would sometimes just go with the legit deal. If windows s could really "explode" it would shock devs into action.

Add one windows on arm, later for the islandwood stuff, project scorpio with greater PC compatibility, a cheaper HoloLens, and you'd be cooking with fire.

Lych

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I would keep it at Windows 10S for as long as I can. I don't really have a use-case that would require me to upgrade, and edge is my daily driver anyway. Most of the stuff I use (office, pdf viewers, communication apps) every day are in the store already, the only thing that could prompt me to upgrade to pro is if I wanted to play games on it, but I can get by without them for a while (plus I have the desktop for that anyway).

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I would keep it at Windows 10S for as long as I can. I don't really have a use-case that would require me to upgrade, and edge is my daily driver anyway. Most of the stuff I use (office, pdf viewers, communication apps) every day are in the store already, the only thing that could prompt me to upgrade to pro is if I wanted to play games on it, but I can get by without them for a while (plus I have the desktop for that anyway).

There is some centennial bridge games from PC and xbox, and the more app style UWP stuff (some of which is pretty decent).

Maybe not enough to keep a heavy gamer satisfied, but its definitely a good start for folks who don't game that regularly. Between fun casual stuff like tiny troopers, the go games, game loft titles and centenntial such as :- rise of the tomb raider, quantum break, killer instinct, forza motorsport, call of duty infinite warfare, phantom dust, Ori and the Blind Forest, wasteland 2, Shadow complex remastered, The Turing Test - its actually a pretty good start for gaming considering the centennial bridge is like a year old, and the play anywhere xbox intiative only started recently with rise of the tomb raider.

I expect in a year or two, the selection of games from xbox/console alone will be pretty decent. And I think there's a good chance project scorpio will be designed as a PC for software, maybe even straight up UWP games only, for maximum porting.

I think that's basically MS's strategy for dealing with getting game devs into the store - tie console and PC together more intimately, until there's enough titles gamers shop there. Should be pretty easy if they apply effort to that model.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I would keep it at Windows 10S for as long as I can. I don't really have a use-case that would require me to upgrade, and edge is my daily driver anyway.

hey lych, if my familys desktop computer could install windows 10 s i would do that and keep it in the computer. my parents use edge and.... thats it so having a more secure os would save me the headache of having to maintain the computer!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes