$999.00 PC that you can't install an alternative browser by default!?

nealcooper

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

Surface Laptop seems like an incredible laptop. But I see one issue, by default with Windows 10 S, you can't have Firefox, Google Chrome, ...

Most of the time I use Edge but some websites are not working properly with it and I need to switch to another browser.

If you order a Surface Laptop, would you keep Windows 10 S or upgrade to Pro?
For me, I would upgrade to Pro because of that browser issue. What is your reason?

Veehementia

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I'd upgrade to pro too, but for different reasons. I love Edge, so that's not my problem. But Windows 10 S can only use the Store apps. Now, that normally wouldn't be much of a problem, but given the current state of the Store itself, it just doesn't provide enough utility to justify a whole system based only on it, especially on a computer.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled all the non-store apps on my SB about a week ago, as a test run. The Slack version that's in the Store, while looking identical, seems to be slightly slower, and hangs on occasion. Edge might be a no-go, because my company uses Constant Contact for email distribution, and it states that all features are not available in Edge. Also, Edge seems much slower than Chrome. I haven't been able to test the full Outlook yet, as it's not in the Store at this time. Other than that, I haven't run into any problems. It's nice to have the upgrade option though.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Well the Edge is improving so there's still some hope. Let's not forget they're not aiming on companies and for students the basic browsing functionality should be good enough for start. But yeah I'd miss Chrome even if just as a secondary browser.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Personally Windows S is useless for me, as almost nothing installed on my Surface Pro or my desktop is available on the store.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I would upgrade to pro, but not for the browser. It's Visual Studio and Steam that I need. Edge has improved a lot in the Creators update and is hopefully going to get updated in the future. Let me remind you that locking up to Store had reasons like for the better security and battery life.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I would upgrade just because I don't want to be bound to what's in the store. Most of what I use is there but it makes it hard to try out other software or programs that haven't been approved/submitted to the Windows store.

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Well, the nice thing about the Surface Laptop is that you can upgrade to Pro for free if you do so within 1 year of purchasing the device. So you'd have a good amount of time to try out Windows 10 S and see if you can manage without Win32 apps before having to decide one way or the other. Being restricted to Edge is certainly a bummer given that the Edge team apparently has no plans to unbundle it from the OS, but as it stands now the functionality gap between Edge and Chrome isn't that big of a deal for me. Then again, I'm not one of those people with a zillion different Chrome extensions. Most of the ones I use are already on the Windows Store.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If google doesn't bring a chrome browser to the windows store given this release of windows s, they are officially stupid (their primary income stream is google search, and this will clearly be use by young people who can be imprinted with 'bing and edge' instead).

That said, edge browser is great (better imo). I don't anything else now, the other UI's are clunky, and the other browsers slow to initialize.

Me, I'd definitely go pro though, with this laptop. While I use plenty of store apps, I also use loads of things that haven't modernized their apps yet.

Jinal_JCS

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Upgrade to Pro version, no doubt about it. Unless the laptop is provided to you by your school or employer and has all the apps that help you with your work.

If you have purchased the laptop on your own, then it doesn't make sense to use a limited OS when you can upgrade to a full fledged OS where you can install any software you want.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
How about a $1300 macbook where I can't plug in any of my 20+ peripherals without spending a fortune on adapters that I'll be misplacing?

I think that's a far worse limitation, even if you "upgrade" by buying adapters. $50 for unlocking Windows 10 forever seems reasonable given that the laptop was first and foremost meant for education and power saving. If Microsoft had priced the device starting at $1049 with W10, nobody would have batted an eye. It's a premium and expensive device no matter how you put it.

slbailey1

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
I only use the Edge browser. So the browser is not the problem. What I need in the Store is Quicken, Turbo Tax, Clibre, Wild Devine, Visual Studio, and SQL Server Developer.

machapman

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I can't see any individual getting this laptop sticking with W10S. It would only happen if a school bought them for its pupils. Everyone else would go for W10 Pro - it's a no-brainer.

mook6_99

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The hope is going to be that enough schools show interest in this and push the software makers to supply them with a store version of their apps.

TLJack64

May 17, 2013
Visit site
As an owner of an O.G. surface RT i don't think i can allow myself to be pigeonholed into ONLY the windows store again... I loved my original surface, (hell it still runs well), but I'm not keen on windows 10 s because of my RT experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro