Bash on Ubuntu on Windows 10S

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Not really sure, but did MS mention about Bash coming to Windows 10S?
I wondering will it be limited in functionality on W10S or will it not be there at all?

Chris Knopff

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Based off what I've read thus far, command line formats (CMD, Bash, PowerShell) will not be available in Windows 10 S. You'll need to upgrade to Pro.

There are at least 3 versions of Linux which will be able to be installed through the Windows Store eventually, but even then you'll need Pro to install from the Store

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Ubuntu, SUSE Linux and one other are coming to the store, as virtualised environments. So yeah, like any store app, you'll be able to use it on windows s.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Based off what I've read thus far, command line formats (CMD, Bash, PowerShell) will not be available in Windows 10 S. You'll need to upgrade to Pro.

There are at least 3 versions of Linux which will be able to be installed through the Windows Store eventually, but even then you'll need Pro to install from the Store

No, they are virtualised. You can install them on windows s.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Not all apps will be installable in Windows 10 S. Windows 10 S is like an unrooted Android device.

As for information, MSDN blog
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/05/18/will-linux-distros-run-on-windows-10-s/

Oh I thought they ran in virtualised environments (like virtual machines). Seems they actually run with windows user access permissions.

Thanks for the correction. Obviously commanline apps with user access permissions will be pretty darn rare in the store, but good to know - clearly windows s will never be a dev box. (Quite a few devs are interested in it, because of its battery life and speed - I guess at most it can be used for writing code that is executed remotely on a server)

Chris Knopff

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 S will be great for many. There are a lot of people that do not need this type of access. It'll make it more interesting in my role at work, as I tend to access command-line tools easier than digging into menus to fix computer problems.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 S will be great for many. There are a lot of people that do not need this type of access. It'll make it more interesting in my role at work, as I tend to access command-line tools easier than digging into menus to fix computer problems.

Hopefully that deployment tool has a few tricks up its sleeve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb