Surface Laptop: will the speakers really stun us?

akul joshi

May 14, 2017
Visit site
With surface's new speaker technology, many have their ears ready for some highquality and premium audio. will the underdog meet expectations or will it sink under the "surface". (pun intended)

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My concern is if it will literally stun you. What if you spilled liquid on that alcantara keyboard and into the lazer-cut holes where the speakers are. I don't fancy getting an electrical discharge thru the fingertips. Is the laptop waterproof? I know they said the sound would be fine going out of those lazer-cut holes in the alcantara keyboard but usually sound gets muffled thru fabric. I hope some reviewer posts something about the audio quality and waterproofing soon.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
My concern is if it will literally stun you. What if you spilled liquid on that alcantara keyboard and into the lazer-cut holes where the speakers are. I don't fancy getting an electrical discharge thru the fingertips. Is the laptop waterproof? I know they said the sound would be fine going out of those lazer-cut holes in the alcantara keyboard but usually sound gets muffled thru fabric. I hope some reviewer posts something about the audio quality and waterproofing soon.

From what I've read the Alcantara fabric is water repellent, I doubt that they would put it on the keyboard if it wouldn't be able to repel water.

I am also interested in what the speakers are like and I sincerely hope they are going to give us the effect that Panos promised they would.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's an idea. How about applying an acoustic surface system like the new Bravia OLED tv. The screen IS the speaker. Jives with the brand too. "Surface Laptop with Acoustic Surface" :grin:

Making the screen vibrate would probably mess with the accuracy of the pixelsense display though.

akul joshi

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I dont feel that the laptop is water proof but the microsoft keynote said that the Alcantara fabric is spill proof if you can wipe it off quick enough

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

hello. i was thinking the same thing about spilling liquid. moreso though, im concerned about trying to clean the fabric and getting liquids accidentally into it.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

this same thing keeps me worried. That's one of the things that will not let me make the jump to the surface laptop really soon.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you guys are worried about spills you may want to think about a computer that's equipped with a spill-resistant keyboard. (many ThinkPads, do Dell Latitudes and HP whatever their current business lineup is have them? I think but I don't recall.)

SpaciousZebra

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I think the speakers will blow us away because we can't see them. There's no way they release their device with a speaker that's even just decent. It might feel weird on the fingers, but I can't wait to test it out.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Dell and Hp's help forums have threads about spill-proof keyboards but they say it's only spill-resistant as the holes in the keyboard are used for heat dissipation too. A MIL or toughbook would probably have spill-proof keyboards but they're bulky and ugly AF.

You know what, something just occurred to me as I'm writing this on my non-spill-proof keyboard nursing my 2nd beer. The alcantara would probably make it easier to suck spilled beer off the keyboard so I should probably consider this a plus?

fabf04_060.jpg

Strike_1

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Interesting design really. I wonder how typing feels as the music blares! To be honest though, I share the concerns about the possible spill of liquid on the keyboard.Have they done any tests on this? Any info available?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
has anyone tried listening to the speaker audio from the surface laptop? i dont live near a microsoft store but are there display units at these stores for people to sample?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon