Surface Laptop: Will windows 10S really draw attention?

akul joshi

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Surface laptop is the first laptop to be released with a fresh version of windows 10 S. while the new OS makes usage more secure, it doesn't allow any app outside the store to run. this may make people think twice before buying it and for the price, this is not enough. developers would not prefer to buy this device as important applications like android studio, python, and even Microsoft's own Visual Studio wouldn't be allowed to run. i feel that giving users an option between Windows 10 pro and Windows 10 S would have been much better

chain13

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I hope, at least it will make some developers porting their current apps into modern versions. As we know, developer is not targetted audience of this device, but doesn't mean this device isn't capable for their need. Just upgrade to a pro and they could run anything they want.

I personally think that uwp is the future. And to make the transition microsoft takes a costly step by releasing 10s that can't run win32 programs. But they seem understand this by giving free upgrade offer to 10 pro for the first year. Hopefully they also come with the same offer for the second year and next with reasonable price.

bdbch

May 21, 2017
Visit site
My hope is with the developers. Having a Windows version with only-store support will force many developers to move their apps to the Store so more people can use them.

The store is one of the best things happening to windows, breaking the malware issues and moving Windows and the general image forward.

So yes Windows S is for everyone who needs the computer for working.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
run. this may make people think twice before buying it and for the price, this is not enough. developers would not prefer to buy this device as important applications like android studio, python, and even Microsoft's own Visual Studio wouldn't be allowed to run.
I disagree, they can upgrade OS to Pro until the end of 2017 and then they can run that perfectly. If you were to code in python there are some compilers in the Store, but it's ture that you don't want to do that.

It should draw attention if MS is going to push it hard enough and invest in developers, or change their approach to developers. They would need someone like Steve Ballmer now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

akul joshi

May 14, 2017
Visit site
"I disagree, they can upgrade OS to Pro until the end of 2017 and then they can run that perfectly. If you were to code in python there are some compilers in the Store, but it's ture that you don't want to do that."

if you are already paying a 1000 bucks or even more, you expect better usability. also, if people buy it after december 31st, they will have to pay an additional 50$. this is not what you would expect from a device that has already cost you an arm and a leg.

ratnadeep joshi

May 21, 2017
Visit site
Developers help push boundaries of applications/OSs and come up with innovative applications which even folks at microsoft or apple or google may not have thought about. As long as the development platform is open in terms of api access etc. the users will we kept supplied with apps meeting their requirements. Whether a store serves only the purpose of security and malware or is also a means to ensure capitalisation of the developer (and of course microsoft!) is a separate debate in itself

Mucephie

May 22, 2017
Visit site
other than visual studio, everything I use on windows can be found from the windows store. sure UWP needs some stability improvements , I believe as a developer that it is the future . I do also believe that windows 10 pro should continue to be offered , in a school and business sense, windows 10s is a much better option and so is the surface laptop. I would although like to see hardware take complete advantage of windows 10 and UWP

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hello. i hope microsoft does advertising on the different apps available. not only for the consumers, but for the developers too. advertising is really lacking so that would help spread the message about the store, then windows 10 s!

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree the real push that W10S needs is in terms of the number of developers because on its own it is not that great without many apps. But using apps only from the store will keep the registry clean everytime an is uninstalled which should keep W10S really fast

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion