$999 with intel HD graphic? Why?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a lot of tradeoffs going into a computer. Power, size, memory, materials used, etc.

In this case, adding dedicated graphics to this machine may not be the best idea considering its meant to be compact, efficient and not necessarily a gaming or CAD powerhouse which would compromise it's size and thermal design, etc.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
When people compare computers, it's almost always apples (no pun intended) to oranges. You simply cannot compare two machines from two different categories solely by price. Yes, you may get more horsepower from a huge desktop setup, but that won't do people like myself any good, because I move around a lot and I'm better off with less power in a smaller format for the same price. Ultrabooks and the likes are also no gaming machines and were never intended to be, and what you pay for goes into craftsmanship and quality before raw power. So people who buy a Surface Laptop, buy it because it serves their purposes, which is likely not gaming, but rather materials, battery time, screen quality, design, etc.

chain13

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Ultrabook world mostly doesn't have those horsepower. Dedicated graphic intends to use even more power from your battery.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Book is significantly thinner than your Satellite Radius and at 60% of the weight. And performance is apparently only adequate for casual gaming.

Strike_1

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Given the thinness and weight and the specs, this ultrabook is not meant for gaming. You want to look for a different type of device altogether if a dedicated graphics is a criteria.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
$999 is more good if use Nvidia or AMD graphic

If they had put a dGPU in it, they would have needed to bump up the price, weight, batteries and it couldn't have made it as thin as it is. They could partially solve the lack of the dGPU by adding a Thunderbolt 3 port, but that's okay. As already mentioned, the materials, design, portability and battery life were their priority here.

DarkLykan114

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Ultrabooks have never been designed to go all-out in performance. By the way, $999 is actually pretty good value for an Ultrabook, some Ultrabooks, such as the HP Spectre 13 2016 start at $1169 for a similar configuration. In Ultrabooks, you pay mostly for build quality, a compact footprint and a thin and light portable device that you can take anywhere. See Dell XPS 13 for details.

jamezr

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
There's a lot of tradeoffs going into a computer. Power, size, memory, materials used, etc.

In this case, adding dedicated graphics to this machine may not be the best idea considering its meant to be compact, efficient and not necessarily a gaming or CAD powerhouse which would compromise it's size and thermal design, etc.

My toughs too...it is not meant to be a gaming powerhouse for sure. But the Intel graphics will do a great job otherwise.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
My toughs too...it is not meant to be a gaming powerhouse for sure. But the Intel graphics will do a great job otherwise.

hey jamezr, i agree. people overlook WHO this laptop is targeted for, and for those people that do that the laptop was not built for them. intel graphics are fine for watching videos or doing research or even using that medical app showcased at the education press conference.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If they had put a dGPU in it, they would have needed to bump up the price, weight, batteries and it couldn't have made it as thin as it is. They could partially solve the lack of the dGPU by adding a Thunderbolt 3 port, but that's okay. As already mentioned, the materials, design, portability and battery life were their priority here.

kaktus thats correct, the surface team's priorities when designing the laptop were those things. i just recently watched a video review from a youtuber of the lenovo 720 15 inch which has a gpu. when he was talking about that laptop his complaints were the thickness and weight and having to carry a heavy power adapter because the battery in the 1080p model only had 5-6 hours, part of which was because of the gpu. i dont know the size of the power adapter for the surface laptop, but the thin profile and weight of the surface laptop were really intriguing to me since those are the reasons why i dont carry my older macbook pro with me. if the point of the surface laptop is for the user to take it out and about and just be productive where ever he/she is, a dedicated gpu becomes lower and lower on the "list of things to include" for the surface team.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
It's exactly like many others have already said, it's not meant to be a powerful laptop, but a portable laptop with a long battery life and amazing mobility. Also let's not forget the huge improvement in Intel HD graphics, they are pretty good, can handle a lot, so if you are not looking for a gaming rig, you will be happy with the integrated graphics card Intel HD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo