Which Surface Pen for the Surface Laptop?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
The Surface Laptop and Surface Pro (technically 5) release globally on the same day. I do have one doubt though! Which pen should one buy for the laptop? The new one with 4096 levels and tilting ? or the older one? Will the new one be fully functional on the Surface Laptop?
Technically it should but if you were to choose one which one would it be? Why?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I would go with the new one since MS said that other Surface devices will get support for tilting the pen via firmware/os update, so why not have the better pen if you can have it? :p

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The new Surface Pen (4096 pen presure, 21ms latency, tilt-detection ) works with surface 3, surface pro 3 and above, surface laptop, surface studio. There's really no reason to go for the older Surface Pen.

The surface pro 2 and below uses wacom tech it, they only work with the original surface pen (wacom tech). Surface pro 2 and below can't work with the newer tilt-detecting pens.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I would go with the new one since MS said that other Surface devices will get support for tilting the pen via firmware/os update, so why not have the better pen if you can have it? :p

hey there, yeah totally. buying the newer one would make sense. i wonder what the price in difference is.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Oh I just had another look at the MS store - it says it won't have tilt functionality on the Surface Laptop so if you planned to use the new pen for that specifically then the old one might be the one you want to buy.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Imagine writing on a surface that is in an awkward position, how easy will it be to not keep the pen tilted to avoid get the tilt effect. probably very difficult.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos