Can I use Visual Studio on WIndows 10 S?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
All Microsoft apps should come to the Store, naturally. Will probably have to wait till year end to know for sure.

jayesh wouldnt that be nice! it makes sense for microsoft to offer every software it makes in the windows store that its trying to promote. im sure as the desktop bridge/project centennial develops there will be more and more compatibility things resolved and microsofts apps will make their way over.

Rafael Martins1

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
That's my thoughts exactly. If you're a developer looking to create or build your own apps or programs, you'll want to avoid Windows 10 S for now. Nobody is developing apps on an Android tablet or iPad, so why should they on a version of Windows locked down to the Store?

I would be very happy to open the three screens of a smartphone, run the visual studio code, at least, and edit an application that I was working on, or develop something fast in an academic environment without having to use a notebook or desktop. This is my dream of mobile productivity.

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/1*cUlwzVshahSl9DM4DZApYQ.jpeg

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I would be very happy to open the three screens of a smartphone, run the visual studio code, at least, and edit an application that I was working on, or develop something fast in an academic environment without having to use a notebook or desktop. This is my dream of mobile productivity.

hey rafael what do you mean "the three screens of a smartphone"? are you talking about windows 10 mobile, android, and ios? i agree that there are times i want to make edits but dont want to use my computer. it happens for me with editing photos, but i do appreciate the convenience of doing something like that when i edit onenote notes or send messages in chat apps so any app and app user could benefit from this action of fluid transition between computer and mobile device including developers and app development.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

I understand that want, but right now it's just not viable. Continuum and Samsung's DeX make me wonder if there's a future, but it's obvious that no company has seen value into putting that incredible amount of effort into bringing a working coding application to the super mobile world.

Rafael Martins1

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
hey rafael what do you mean "the three screens of a smartphone"? are you talking about windows 10 mobile, android, and ios? i agree that there are times i want to make edits but dont want to use my computer. it happens for me with editing photos, but i do appreciate the convenience of doing something like that when i edit onenote notes or send messages in chat apps so any app and app user could benefit from this action of fluid transition between computer and mobile device including developers and app development.

Have not you watched WestWorld? I'm talking about their "PC folder". See the link I posted.

Rafael Martins1

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I understand that want, but right now it's just not viable. Continuum and Samsung's DeX make me wonder if there's a future, but it's obvious that no company has seen value into putting that incredible amount of effort into bringing a working coding application to the super mobile world.

I would not be so sure. Microsoft revived the Surface brand in a cool way, and even the original Surface was recreated in Surface Studio. I would not be surprised if the same thing happened to Microsoft Courier. They could be tweaking that concept all those years and finally have something that can innovate in the market, after all, this concept of foldable screen has already been researched by them for many years and now they are partnering with Samsung, which also develops the same technology. My body is ready for a new category of Surface, or Courier, or Andromeda mobile PC, or whatever name they wish.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I would not be so sure. Microsoft revived the Surface brand in a cool way, and even the original Surface was recreated in Surface Studio. I would not be surprised if the same thing happened to Microsoft Courier. They could be tweaking that concept all those years and finally have something that can innovate in the market, after all, this concept of foldable screen has already been researched by them for many years and now they are partnering with Samsung, which also develops the same technology. My body is ready for a new category of Surface, or Courier, or Andromeda mobile PC, or whatever name they wish.

This technology might be very popular. There are plenty of people who would happily give up PCs and laptops if they had everything they need on their phones. For example manager or people from marketing who need to travel a lot - they would love to go somewhere, plug their phone into a bigger display with a keyboard, do some work, and then go and finishing on the phone, without a need to go into cloud etc.

Rafael Martins1

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
This technology might be very popular. There are plenty of people who would happily give up PCs and laptops if they had everything they need on their phones. For example manager or people from marketing who need to travel a lot - they would love to go somewhere, plug their phone into a bigger display with a keyboard, do some work, and then go and finishing on the phone, without a need to go into cloud etc.

In an academic environment, it would be excellent, since the labs of many colleges use old PCs, and taking notebooks is not always possible, especially here in Brazil.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Sadly, it does not matter what Microsoft makes next. It does not matter how innovative they are. It does not matter how cool the device is.

This current generation cares about one thing - Applications.

As soon as they realize there is no Snapchat, they will not care. Millennials drive the smartphone market and have the power to shift the market share. Unfortunately, it will not be in Microsoft's favor.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Have not you watched WestWorld? I'm talking about their "PC folder". See the link I posted.

hey ive never seen westworld. i did look at that picture when i was replying, but i just looked again and noticed its a screen divided into thirds. interesting future, but its going to take a lot of time for technology to develop into something like that. who knows though; who wouldve thought less than a decade after smartphones came out that we could connect a phone to a monitor and it becomes a windows computer? many things evolve and do so quickly.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

hey zachary. have you heard about the electronics bans going on for certain flights? if not, its a ban enacted by the u.s. and u.k. on large or fat electronics for any flights originating in some middle east and north african countries. i bring that up because it covers laptops and tablets but not smartphones up to a certain size. companies dont want their employees to leave sensitive data unattended, so in this situation a device that can run continuum or continuum-like capabilities would be an excellent choice. the phone is with the employee at all times, as opposed to a laptop that has to be given to airline staff for them to stow away until the flight lands, and now that citrix is windows 10 mobile compatible and runs in continuum its users can still be productive by connecting to company resources without bringing and worrying about something that will be temporarily confiscated at the airport by strangers.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
hey zachary. have you heard about the electronics bans going on for certain flights? if not, its a ban enacted by the u.s. and u.k. on large or fat electronics for any flights originating in some middle east and north african countries. i bring that up because it covers laptops and tablets but not smartphones up to a certain size. companies dont want their employees to leave sensitive data unattended, so in this situation a device that can run continuum or continuum-like capabilities would be an excellent choice. the phone is with the employee at all times, as opposed to a laptop that has to be given to airline staff for them to stow away until the flight lands, and now that citrix is windows 10 mobile compatible and runs in continuum its users can still be productive by connecting to company resources without bringing and worrying about something that will be temporarily confiscated at the airport by strangers.

I understand where you're coming from, completely. I understand the benefits of Continuum and adore the idea/concept. But it simply hasn't been brought to fruition yet. For the purposes of this thread, at least, and in regards to a fully fledged coding application, Continuum, DeX, and other solutions to this "mobile PC" dilemma haven't quite cracked the code. No major software company has show real, viable interest in making this vision truly happen, and it's probably because the consumer market isn't quite ready for that paradigm shift. For now, at least, most people (including me) still prefer doing real work on things like a Surface Pro or other ultrabooks. I love the idea of doing even more on my smartphone, but it's not quite there yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)