More surface laptop users will upgrade from windows 10 S to pro?

Freddy Grande

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't make sense not to, right? If it's free, why not?
Then again Microsoft also hoped that with their Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrades and we all know how that turned out...

Gerade_Kurve

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I think every private user should upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. If they want, they can Limit their devices to store-apps only but being on Pro always leaves the Option open to install other programs, which is in any case preferable.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I think every private user should upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. If they want, they can Limit their devices to store-apps only but being on Pro always leaves the Option open to install other programs, which is in any case preferable.

hello. it really matters on the user so im not sure about every private user. my parents are the most basic of computer users i know, so windows 10 s is the better choice for them because they only use edge and the mail app. my nieces dont have email addresses so they just use edge. sometimes the most basic of users are the ones that download unnecessary and/or bad things to their computers because they dont know/think about viruses spamware etc.. even though windows 10 s is education focused, the "s=simple" (terry myserson mentioned it in the education event a few weeks ago) definitely applies to these users for their protection. check out this video from bitwit where he cleans up his neighbors desktop (start it at 3:16 to see all of the .exe files running) and windows 10 s wouldve benefited this pc user.

Last edited:

SP4

May 26, 2017
Visit site
I would upgrade almost immediately, I imagine. Why limit yourself to Windows Store apps when you don't have to?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hard to say "most" really.

"Most" users are not power users and could really benefit from additional security, speed, auto-upgrades, lack of pc rot, lack of registry degradation, and they may well just see the warning, have a look in the windows store, and find everything they need.

The average user might see the word "more secure" (which is true), and give it a go. Unless they specifically need some non-store app, which I imagine most users do not.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hard to say "most" really.

"Most" users are not power users and could really benefit from additional security, speed, auto-upgrades, lack of pc rot, lack of registry degradation, and they may well just see the warning, have a look in the windows store, and find everything they need.

The average user might see the word "more secure" (which is true), and give it a go. Unless they specifically need some non-store app, which I imagine most users do not.

hey there. couldnt agree more with what you said. it is a more secure os due to the fact that it blocks all this spamware adware bloatware crap in computers that are .exe files downloaded from anywhere. my whole family can benefit from windows 10 s simply because windows 10 s blocks all the random stuff they would potentially download. id say an average user can get by with edge, the mail app, and the office suite (specifically word), and if they wanted to download netflix (popular choice), hulu (popular choice), facebook (popular choice), spotify (will definitely be a popular choice), or other apps the likelihood its available in the store is high for basic users. everything is automated; they dont need to manually update because the updates will happen through the store.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I would upgrade almost immediately, I imagine. Why limit yourself to Windows Store apps when you don't have to?

hey there. i would upgrade immediately too, but only because one application i really need for work is not available in the store. if that were available in the store, id just leave the os at windows 10 s. i like security.

MoggyMisc

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Just like the public PC in my university office.
It's loaded of 3 antiviruses, 5 background apps in the task tray, and takes ages to open a webpage.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Just like the public PC in my university office.
It's loaded of 3 antiviruses, 5 background apps in the task tray, and takes ages to open a webpage.

hey there. perfect situation where windows 10 s would benefit its users and the owner especially because im sure the librarians arent doing checks to see what is in the computers. i also have seen public computers with all kinds of things running in the background (like computers at hotels that people use to print their boarding passes), and i think for public computers windows 10 s is a great option.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
To prepare for 10S, I've been attempting to run all Store apps the past few weeks, with the exception of the Office apps, which I know are coming at some point. The two biggest issues I've run into are Slack and Chrome.

The Store version of Slack will not start automatically in Windows. I contacted Slack, and it's a restriction of Store apps. No biggie, I can start it manually when I reboot. Bigger problem is that the Store version isn't as stable. It locks up at least once a day, and the only time I find out is when someone asks me why I haven't responded to them, or notice a message on my phone app.

I've noticed over the last few weeks of using Edge that it's just not on par with Chrome. Chrome is much faster for daily use, and there are still websites and features (example being some web meeting sites) that won't work in Edge.

I had hoped to be able to stay on 10S, but at this point I don't think it's possible for my work flow. Others may be different.

MoggyMisc

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
To prepare for 10S, I've been attempting to run all Store apps the past few weeks, with the exception of the Office apps, which I know are coming at some point. The two biggest issues I've run into are Slack and Chrome.

The Store version of Slack will not start automatically in Windows. I contacted Slack, and it's a restriction of Store apps. No biggie, I can start it manually when I reboot. Bigger problem is that the Store version isn't as stable. It locks up at least once a day, and the only time I find out is when someone asks me why I haven't responded to them, or notice a message on my phone app.

I've noticed over the last few weeks of using Edge that it's just not on par with Chrome. Chrome is much faster for daily use, and there are still websites and features (example being some web meeting sites) that won't work in Edge.

I had hoped to be able to stay on 10S, but at this point I don't think it's possible for my work flow. Others may be different.

I agree. MSFT should hurry to make store apps into something that at least people can rely on and use daily like they did the Win32 apps.

Problems with Windows Store is not only the number and variety of apps but also the quality of them, too.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The Store version of Slack will not start automatically in Windows. I contacted Slack, and it's a restriction of Store apps. No biggie, I can start it manually when I reboot.

hey there, definitely submit feedback in the feedback hub about the option to start uwp apps automatically. i usually dont do that in my pc so i havent thought about that until you mentioned it but its something pc users are used to for years and it helps with the work flow so its a great function.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Yeah unfortunately because chrome is so popular, and its not fully html5 compliant, some websites are also not html5 compliant. Not really any websites that I use, but I've seen it happen mainly with google based stuff. For example, google+ notifications were broken on every browser except chrome for a month or so.

Rafael Martins1

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I agree. MSFT should hurry to make store apps into something that at least people can rely on and use daily like they did the Win32 apps.

Problems with Windows Store is not only the number and variety of apps but also the quality of them, too.

Unfortunately the UWP still lose a lot compared to WPF. Microsoft has concentrated a lot of strength on xamarin, but could be more advanced with UWP. A pity. I develop in UWP and still lacks many resources.
Not to mention the store itself, which works very badly.

Surapathi_121-0

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
If the popular app developers create their apps for windows, the rate of conversion will be decreased and there by in the future those apps will come to Windows 10 Mobile only which is awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05