Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June 15?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June

I doubt it would eat away at each others markets. I mean there are some who would only get the pro cuz of the form factor and others who were held back by it. The laptop sorta resolves all that.

Exactly

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June

I doubt it would eat away at each others markets. I mean there are some who would only get the pro cuz of the form factor and others who were held back by it. The laptop sorta resolves all that.

true that. the plus side to this situation whether the customer buys a surface laptop or surface pro is that the customer stays within the surface brand. thats the big overall picture for microsoft.

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I have to agree with k1s23, launching both devices at the same time has multiple benefits for Microsoft: more​ consumer choice, better brand recognition and loyalty, and the potential to grow the market for Surface and Windows 10 S considerably by presenting a full range of products.

I'd also be interested to see if further adoption of W10S across the Surface range brings lower price entry level models.

I have to wonder how long it will be before they refresh the Surface Studio. I'd love to see that thing with a GTX 1060 in it.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I have to agree with k1s23, launching both devices at the same time has multiple benefits for Microsoft: more​ consumer choice, better brand recognition and loyalty, and the potential to grow the market for Surface and Windows 10 S considerably by presenting a full range of products.

I'd also be interested to see if further adoption of W10S across the Surface range brings lower price entry level models.

I have to wonder how long it will be before they refresh the Surface Studio. I'd love to see that thing with a GTX 1060 in it.

thanks TheFlyingDutchBros. it really is a full range of products. one is a tablet that is laptop-like, one is a laptop that is tablet-like, one is a desktop that is sketchpad? (the inclined desk thing that disney artists etc. drew on, the word is not coming to me)-like, the often-forgotten surface hub is a tv that is a digital whiteboard, and the other is a laptop that is like... well, a laptop. there is one defined product for one category in 5 total categories, but one product is all that is necessary.

as for when the surface studio will be refreshed: from the time the surface pro 4 was announced to when the surface pro 2017 was released, it was 19 months (october 2015-may 2017). the surface book had a refresh to the surface book with performance base in 13 months (october 2015-november 2016), so id say between the 13-19 months or at least 1 years time, assuming this pattern continues. hopefully that means fall of this fiscal year.

Mark Sprague1

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

Both the surface laptop and the new surface pro will be available on June 15. Do you think is a good idea? I mean , windows 10 S need many people that use it to help him grow and became really better and it's currently available only on the surface laptop. Relasing the surface pro along with the laptop will definitely takes many people away from the laptop and the world of windows 10 s. This will cause many trouble to the OS to grow and , as a consequence , it will slow down the growth of the store. Moreover , even if they are both amazing devices , due to their price , people will have to choose only one of them.

Windows 10S will be gone in a year.... and no one will notice

ThePyrobri

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site

Don't care, the only thing I was interested in was a refreshed Surface 3 or Surface 4. One of these windows Windows 10 S would have been perfect but now my aging Surface 3 has no replacement. My Band 2 will not be replaced due to no stock and my 950XL with a cracked screen has no replacement in the UK.
Unfortunately with literally 0 MS devices left in the ecosystem for me as a consumer I find myself being in the annoying position of having to buy Android hardware, and if Ido that I can't be bothered hobbling myself to stick my MS software, I will just go fully native..

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

If you are talking about the United States, most middle/junior high and high schools have computers given to them from the school. Most schools now have coding classes as an elective class in high school. I am not sure what country you live in but this definitely isn't the case in the United States.

GreyFox7

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

I don't think it will make much difference because most that want one or the other won't change their mind if one isn't available for several months.

Assuming there was an impact, how long would you have to wait to release the other, two months, three-four months? Then you'd miss the back to school market window. It might make more difference if they were released at a different time of year but for once we have a launch that will capitalize on every market opportunity and having them both out there is good for the brand.

Ooh, you have a tough decision between two Surfaces, that's a very good thing.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

The big overall picture is not the Surface Laptop. With it's specs most will end up running Win 10 Pro.
The Surface Laptop brings Windows 10 S. The OEM partners have already announced their 10 s products with lower specs. Most are under $300 and one is at $189. These are the devices that will be compared to Chromebooks.

formalcomparison

May 20, 2017
Visit site

The big overall picture is not the Surface Laptop. With it's specs most will end up running Win 10 Pro.
The Surface Laptop brings Windows 10 S. The OEM partners have already announced their 10 s products with lower specs. Most are under $300 and one is at $189. These are the devices that will be compared to Chromebooks.

That's what I hope! Windows 10 S on cheaper devices would be a great choise for many consumers. It will be a response to the chromebooks. But we must keep in mind that the surface laptop is the poster of this OS so it would be a pity if all the people who buy it will upgrade to pro.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

they have to release sooner than later because people are already buying for graduation gifts or back-to-school situations. I have two coworkers who are shopping computers for their kids who just graduated and about to go to college. Back to school sales are about to pop up. It all starts with Memorial Day weekend and then rolls into the back to school sales in a month or so. Microsoft missed some prime purchase periods with some of releases.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

If you are talking about the United States, most middle/junior high and high schools have computers given to them from the school. Most schools now have coding classes as an elective class in high school. I am not sure what country you live in but this definitely isn't the case in the United States.

hey there. thats true, which is the demographic that the OEMs with their cheaper laptops are targeting. OEM laptops can be bought in bulk at a much cheaper rate than the surface laptop. the surface laptop is for the college/university students who want something more "adult" looking with better internals than those cheaper laptops.

NoFlames2

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

Releasing the same day is ideal since the buyers will be able to compare the SL with SP to decide which device is best for them. If they were released separate times there would be a wait and see, keeping people from buying.

rrodriguez0001

May 29, 2014
Visit site

I think that the Surface Laptop is an afterthought meant to satisfy those that just want the traditional style from MS. IMO, there's not much special about it when you compare it to other 'better' laptops on the market. It's a good device for students, and other than Win 10 S(security), there's no WOW factor.
The Surface Pro, Surface Book, HoloLens represents an innovative MS who is now pushing forward. I think that the laptop is a bit of stepping backwards. If any device should get pushed back it should be the laptop. Again, there are better laptops out there. There's only one true Surface Pro with all the awesome bleeding edge improvements/innovations. MS should stay true to their real fans and focus on getting those SPs out earlier than expected.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Releasing the same day is ideal since the buyers will be able to compare the SL with SP to decide which device is best for them. If they were released separate times there would be a wait and see, keeping people from buying.

hey noflames2 i agree. the surface pro 4 needed a refresh and the surface laptop is finished with development so why not release them on the same day? there already was a wait and see, since surface sales dropped last quarter due to ageing technology so its better to release them at the same time to increase choices. furthermore, summer is a good time to computer shop for the next school year in the u.s. so the timing couldnt have been better.

formalcomparison

May 20, 2017
Visit site

hi. you're right , as we already sad in this thread that decision gives to consumers more choice and this is a great think. My concern was about the future of Windows 10 S that need many people who use it to work better and the surface laptop is the first poster of this OS. Now that some company announced that this OS will be on their cheaper computers this problem is pretty much solved

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster