Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June 15?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June

I don't remember if I read that here or on MS Power User but I know I did read about availability of Windows 10 S on Surface Pro and Surface Book - like that one would be able to choose between Windows 10 S or Pro but that's all I remember, so perhaps we are going to see that happen on the June 15th as well.

As already mentioned in the thread I believe that it's a great idea since the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 also launched on the same day (to my knowledge) and yet the Surface Book was meant more for traditionalist who are going to use the device primarily as a laptop and Surface Pro 4 is quite the opposite. I think it's pretty much the same here, except that the Surface Laptop doesn't have a dGPU model and it is 100% traditional laptop unlike Surface Book.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Re: Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June

I think it's for the better, not for the worse. Microsoft is offering consumers the choice between two beautiful, polished devices in two different form factors. And, in the future, I believe Microsoft plans to offer a "Pro-only" Surface Laptop and a "S-only" Surface Pro. They'll probably wait until after the free upgrade to Pro promotion is over, but I think it'll come.

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

Personally I think its to do with marketing. If you look at what is trending it's currently Microsoft and all its daring designs. So launching one thing after another is like having a New year's eve fireworks display. Something that makes a bold statement and is memorable for months to come. it's the ruling of the "airwaves"

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Yes , that's true but also because of the school's requests and the trending. Now at some university we're ask to download some program and to do presentation, researches , graphics ext so if you've a powerful pc these works takes you less time and is better

hey there. its great to know that both the surface pro and surface laptop are totally capable of doing these things, with the exception of high end graphics (which is what a desktop or more high-end laptop is for). many students can be productive and get work done on either device. of course, the amount of ram does make a difference but for basic tasks like research either the surface pro or surface laptop are capable.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I think it's for the better, not for the worse. Microsoft is offering consumers the choice between two beautiful, polished devices in two different form factors. And, in the future, I believe Microsoft plans to offer a "Pro-only" Surface Laptop and a "S-only" Surface Pro. They'll probably wait until after the free upgrade to Pro promotion is over, but I think it'll come.

hey there, it definitely is for the better for them to release both items on the same day. besides looks, both the surface laptop and surface pro (which needed a refresh; the surface pro 4 was released 1 1/2 years ago) will be top of the line when they are both released.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't remember if I read that here or on MS Power User but I know I did read about availability of Windows 10 S on Surface Pro and Surface Book - like that one would be able to choose between Windows 10 S or Pro but that's all I remember, so perhaps we are going to see that happen on the June 15th as well.

As already mentioned in the thread I believe that it's a great idea since the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 also launched on the same day (to my knowledge) and yet the Surface Book was meant more for traditionalist who are going to use the device primarily as a laptop and Surface Pro 4 is quite the opposite. I think it's pretty much the same here, except that the Surface Laptop doesn't have a dGPU model and it is 100% traditional laptop unlike Surface Book.

hey there. yeah youre right, eventually the other surface products will have windows 10 s options (source https://mspoweruser.com/not-just-surface-laptop-windows-10-s-also-coming-surface-pro-surface-book/ ). that would be interesting to see the surface pro with windows 10 s as that would drop it... $50 to a starting price of $749 (since to upgrade windows 10 s to windows pro starting next year is $50)? even lower with the education discount.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

hey there. yeah youre right, eventually the other surface products will have windows 10 s options (source https://mspoweruser.com/not-just-surface-laptop-windows-10-s-also-coming-surface-pro-surface-book/ ). that would be interesting to see the surface pro with windows 10 s as that would drop it... $50 to a starting price of $749 (since to upgrade windows 10 s to windows pro starting next year is $50)? even lower with the education discount.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Believe it or not there are people out there who do not like the 2 in one form factor and prefer the conventional laptop style.

The surface laptop will appeal to them.

Me! I have ZERO interest in a 2 in 1.......

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Me! I have ZERO interest in a 2 in 1.......

hey raqball. i was interested in a 2 in 1 laptop (the lenovo 720 in particular) because of its versatility but after watching a review video today on it and then thinking about how often i would carry the laptop as a tablet (which is barely at all) and using it in tent mode (never) i think id be satisfied with a laptop. im currently typing on a laptop that is not a 2 in 1 and ive used it for years as if it were a desktop. the surface laptop is not a 2 in 1 but thats fine with me since its what im used to.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I don't think the availability of one device will affect the sales of the other device. Neither will the spread of W10S OS be affected significantly by the fact that both pro and laptop will be available.

The popularity of Windows 10 S OS depends on how many schools and consumers use it. We have to remember that W10S is not exclusive to the surface laptop only. It will be available on many laptops and devices from different manufacturers. The surface laptop is a premium level device which most likely will be used by college going students.

The success of W10S also depends on how many countries actually use it for the school programs. If this remains in USA just like chromeOS then it's not going to be able to spread rapidly and gain prominence

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't think the availability of one device will affect the sales of the other device. Neither will the spread of W10S OS be affected significantly by the fact that both pro and laptop will be available.

The popularity of Windows 10 S OS depends on how many schools and consumers use it. We have to remember that W10S is not exclusive to the surface laptop only. It will be available on many laptops and devices from different manufacturers. The surface laptop is a premium level device which most likely will be used by college going students.

The success of W10S also depends on how many countries actually use it for the school programs. If this remains in USA just like chromeOS then it's not going to be able to spread rapidly and gain prominence

hey chintan, thanks for your input. i hope windows 10 s will be available worldwide. after all, in the education press conference i can recall pictures of students from all over the world using windows 10. hopefully by then, many more popular apps used in education are available as store apps.

formalcomparison

May 20, 2017
Visit site

Thanks for the information! That would be a great thing ,in my opinion , because it will help the S line to develope and will give to consumers even more choise.

In this post I was wondering about the benefit of this decision for Windows 10 S. I also think that lunching the two devices in the same date is a good way to let the consumers have more power in deciding what to buy.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the information! That would be a great thing ,in my opinion , because it will help the S line to develope and will give to consumers even more choise.

In this post I was wondering about the benefit of this decision for Windows 10 S. I also think that lunching the two devices in the same date is a good way to let the consumers have more power in deciding what to buy.

i agree with giving power to the consumers. having good solid options is the benefit of the surface line, especially very different but tied together options (windows 10 and touch and pen ability).

jmork

May 23, 2017
Visit site

Yes, but give us a new Surface Book already!
its not bad to launch everything together.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

I've had my Surface Pro 4 for over 16 months now and it's been a stalwart companion. At the time I bought mine (i5/4GB/128) I thought the 2-in-1 was the perfect form factor and for the vast majority of use it has been. I was still able to play some Steam games from when I was growing up (StarCraft, AoE II, CivIII, among a few others), light web browsing, email/Office, etc. But I'm just finishing up my first online masters class and I've essentially tripled my tab usage in Edge, have had OneNote, Word, PowerPoint open simultaneously, along with Drawboard PDF for epubs to take notes and work with Office. It's been a resource killer, not to mention the form factor hasn't been the most ideal. I really need to get hands-on with the Surface Laptop, especially with better guts (looking at i5/8GB?), but I can imagine a slightly larger screen, more stability in the lap...I can imagine the tradeoff of taking off my keyboard to do some highlighting like a legal pad and then clipping the keyboard back in won't be as bad as I'm thinking.

v/r
BMK
From Surface Pro 4

Jayesh Sharma

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site

Why not? Target audience is different. Moreover, the sooner, the better.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Why not? Target audience is different. Moreover, the sooner, the better.

agreed on the target audience statement. although one is a laptop and one is being marketed as "the most versatile laptop", they are different devices and therefore the target audience is different. furthermore, both are great devices for students and in the united states the school year starts in august which gives students and parents some time to buy the device and get used to using it before the school year starts.

lanakaryatna

May 13, 2017
Visit site

Faster is better if microsoft have a good prepared

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site

I doubt it would eat away at each others markets. I mean there are some who would only get the pro cuz of the form factor and others who were held back by it. The laptop sorta resolves all that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb