Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June 15?

formalcomparison

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June 15?

Both the surface laptop and the new surface pro will be available on June 15. Do you think is a good idea? I mean , windows 10 S need many people that use it to help him grow and became really better and it's currently available only on the surface laptop. Relasing the surface pro along with the laptop will definitely takes many people away from the laptop and the world of windows 10 s. This will cause many trouble to the OS to grow and , as a consequence , it will slow down the growth of the store. Moreover , even if they are both amazing devices , due to their price , people will have to choose only one of them.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June

Believe it or not there are people out there who do not like the 2 in one form factor and prefer the conventional laptop style.

The surface laptop will appeal to them.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do you think it is a good idea for MSFT to launch both the surface laptop & surface pro on June

True
My wife uses a Surface 3 with the keyboard almost permanently detached, ie a tablet and I am useless without keyboard and a mouse, and I want a touchscreen too.. Surface laptop is on my radar

... !!

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site

A lot of people with surface pro would not have bought a surface laptop, myself included. The laptop is a downgrade compared to even my SP3 in my opinion because it takes away from functionality.

These are 2 different devices aimed at 2 different markets.

Surapathi_121-0

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site

It is true but no one can stop making decisions. But I think people will choose surface laptop for its screen size because surface pro is smaller than the laptop.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

As stated above I think that have different targets with each of these devices so I don't see it being a huge issue. I'm personally glad there is choice for the consumer.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Believe it or not there are people out there who do not like the 2 in one form factor and prefer the conventional laptop style.

hey there. i dont have a preference between 2 in 1 and the regular laptop style, but i do prefer both over tablet style. thats one of the reasons why im going with the surface laptop.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

i think it was okay to decide to release both on the same day. from day 1, people can decide between a laptop or a tablet and compare specs before buying. they are almost similar in that the surface pro can use the type cover attached at the base (making it similar to a laptop), but at least consumers have a choice. also, at least the sales people and consumers can compare the most current of models for both devices in person. imagine if the sales people said "here is the surface laptop, and here is the surface pro 4 which is similar to the new surface pro not available yet but will be coming soon". for sales and just for the company overall it wouldnt look good.

formalcomparison

May 20, 2017
Visit site

i think it was okay to decide to release both on the same day. from day 1, people can decide between a laptop or a tablet and compare specs before buying. they are almost similar in that the surface pro can use the type cover attached at the base (making it similar to a laptop), but at least consumers have a choice. also, at least the sales people and consumers can compare the most current of models for both devices in person. imagine if the sales people said "here is the surface laptop, and here is the surface pro 4 which is similar to the new surface pro not available yet but will be coming soon". for sales and just for the company overall it wouldnt look good.

I agree with you , having a choice is a fantastic opportunity but there is a difference between the two devices. The surface pro doesn't need many people buying it to give to his OS a boost while the surface laptop , having windows 10 S , need as many consumers as possible to let the store and the OS grow , to be more competitive on the market. If we were talking about two devices with very different use that would not be a problem but here we are talking about a laptop with a "new" Os and a "tablet that can repleace your laptop" with windows pro.

formalcomparison

May 20, 2017
Visit site

You're right , but there're also many people who are really uncertain between 2 in 1 form or laptop. For some people and students the tablet form is really comfortable and versatile but there're also use to the laptop form. The surface laptop aims to students but some of them will be take away from it and this won't help his OS. This decision from Microsoft give to us more choice and is a great thing , but it will also slow down the growth of the store

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

I don't get this 'aimed at students' concept. Remember, students are usually pretty low on cash, so they generally buy second hand devices. Certainly was the case when I was at university. I expect students will buy these things, but in 3 or so years time from the newspaper or from eBay. Not from MS brand new for a 4 figure sum, surely? There's beer to buy first.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't get this 'aimed at students' concept. Remember, students are usually pretty low on cash, so they generally buy second hand devices. Certainly was the case when I was at university. I expect students will buy these things, but in 3 or so years time from the newspaper or from eBay. Not from MS brand new for a 4 figure sum, surely? There's beer to buy first.

hey there. yes, students can be low on cash but parents buy things for their children. also, go on campus and count the macbooks (any model). macbooks are pricey yet they are everywhere on school grounds and starbucks. dont forget that both companies offer student discounts. comparing devices after the student discounts, the lowest model of the surface laptop is $899 whereas the lowest model of the macbook air after the student discount is $949 ( https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fshop%2Fbuy-mac%2Fmacbook-air&token=AuyyiCAI ). want to get a macbook? sorry that costs more ( https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...hed%2Fshop%2Fbuy-mac%2Fmacbook&token=bRxWHAey ).

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Times have changed. Kids no longer sport cheap hand me down devices.

timbre70 i agree. its more and more common these days to see good quality computers owned by younger (still in school) people.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I agree with you , having a choice is a fantastic opportunity but there is a difference between the two devices. The surface pro doesn't need many people buying it to give to his OS a boost while the surface laptop , having windows 10 S , need as many consumers as possible to let the store and the OS grow , to be more competitive on the market. If we were talking about two devices with very different use that would not be a problem but here we are talking about a laptop with a "new" Os and a "tablet that can repleace your laptop" with windows pro.

hey there. you are right that there are differences between the 2 devices. however, for general users windows 10 s is just fine. general users meaning edge the office suite and probably the mail app. i think with just these 3 apps a good amount of people are covered with their needs, and if they want to download something like messenger, facebook, line, netflix, hulu, etc. then thats also available in the windows store along with itunes and spotify which are upcoming. i think the windows store will grow because this is the only way to download apps for surface laptop and windows 10 s users.

MoggyMisc

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site

It's pity to see children (actually their parents) in my country being rich enough to buy PCs but not interested in it.
Some claim even college-graduates do not know how to work on desktop PCs, or at least not used to it; they prefer smartphones. What a tech-dinosaur country.

How can adults make children more interested in tech?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

It's pity to see children (actually their parents) in my country being rich enough to buy PCs but not interested in it.
Some claim even college-graduates do not know how to work on desktop PCs, or at least not used to it; they prefer smartphones. What a tech-dinosaur country.

How can adults make children more interested in tech?

hey moggymisc. what country do you live in? i think thats starting to be a trend everywhere. i much rather prefer to type on my computer since im quicker at doing things (and therefore less lazy) than on my phone, but i can think of people in my extended family that only have phones, just like where you are from. do you know if these people also type reports on their phones? i would hate doing that. :O

Surapathi_121-0

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site

No, because Surface Laptop's sales gets decreased and the laptop costs more than Surface Pro.

formalcomparison

May 20, 2017
Visit site

Times have changed. Kids no longer sport cheap hand me down devices.

Yes , that's true but also because of the school's requests and the trending. Now at some university we're ask to download some program and to do presentation, researches , graphics ext so if you've a powerful pc these works takes you less time and is better

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention