Most student will bored without game and how about store? Pro version is the best?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
what games are you attempting to play? Everybody will be using it a little differently which will determine if they need to update to pro or not. Can't really say which is best as it will depend on your usage.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The machine is not intended as a gaming PC.. If that's what you are looking for then there are far better options out there...

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
It depends on the game...

The Surface Laptop isn't the best choice when it comes to gaming, I'll say it's more-so for school related tasks.

Try taking a peek at the Surface Book, or the many options out there.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well if you mean light PC gaming (only real gaming) then you have plenty games in Store already (Call of Duty, Forza, Cities Skylines...). For Counterstrike and similar you'll need to upgrade to Pro so you can get it on Steam.

If you mean mobile UWP games, then you also have a few options out there like World of Tanks Blitz, Fifa Mobile, Candy Crush etc. It's true though that you can't get any more "mobile" games, unless you want to play with Android emulators.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
There are about a dozen centennial port games in the store, including the likes of wasteland 2, rise of the tomb raider, forza, quantum break. Likely more will come via microsofts play anywhere scheme that ports xbox games into the store. Some of these will be beyond the abilities of the surface laptop.

There are also basically a few UWPs from xbox, like tiny troopers, and some of the biggest titles from mobile platforms, like the gameloft games.

This does provide gaming, but I cannot say that it will provide 5 hours per week. Some of those centennial ports are quite long, but you will essentially need new games coming in, that you want to play at roughly the rate you finish them (maybe 1/month). So you would probably want to upgrade to pro.

HOWEVER, because the surface laptop lacks dedicated GPU, it does not suit as a gaming machine. The surface book has dedicated gaming, and I do believe the i7 version of the surface pro packs some more graphical punch? (Is that right?). There is also the "razor" laptops which are proper gaming laptops.

Of course, with a gaming laptop, you won't get as much battery life, or lightness.

Jayesh Sharma

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
First of all, it's not a gaming machine, so heavy games go right out of the window. Apart from those, the Store isn't completely dry; Asphalt , Halo , Modern Combat and lots more to keep you from getting bored.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
a desktop pc or a gaming laptop are different from an ultrabook, which is what the surface laptop is. youtube reviewers are starting to come out with videos about the msi gs73vr which is an excellent gaming laptop... priced at $2299.99 at best buy. :shocked: lanakaryatna, if you want a gaming laptop then its better to save your money for another computer.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
First of all, it's not a gaming machine, so heavy games go right out of the window. Apart from those, the Store isn't completely dry; Asphalt , Halo , Modern Combat and lots more to keep you from getting bored.

i agree with jayesh, but i dont know about playing those games on the base model of the surface laptop with 4 gb of ram. the 8 gb of ram model should be able to handle those games smoothly on medium settings.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can definitely say that the student demographic isn't going to be satisfied with the Store. No Steam or some other known games like desktop Minecraft or League of Legends. I'm not sure why there's a student angle regarding the Laptop but 10 S isn't for students, it's for basic users, which might overlap a tad however. And the Laptop is just a nice ultrabook, like a Macbook.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
i agree with jayesh, but i dont know about playing those games on the base model of the surface laptop with 4 gb of ram. the 8 gb of ram model should be able to handle those games smoothly on medium settings.

More RAM isn't going to help the weak iGPU.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
No Steam or some other known games like desktop Minecraft
I would not be so sure about Minecraft, since I can see a centennial (desktop only) version of Minecraft in the store named "Minecraft Windows 10 edition".

However I agree that Valve should stop playing being Google and develop an UWP app or at least port their desktop app to the Store. They have too much money anyway.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I would not be so sure about Minecraft, since I can see a centennial (desktop only) version of Minecraft in the store named "Minecraft Windows 10 edition".

However I agree that Valve should stop playing being Google and develop an UWP app or at least port their desktop app to the Store. They have too much money anyway.

the way things are going now, the store will be the future for windows 10. since the userbase in windows is so high for steam, and will continue to grow, i think its inevitable that valve will bring steam to the store. the thing is, since the games offered through steam are not from the windows store, how would that work out? the games couldnt be installed and wouldnt be playable since nothing other than uwp apps can be installed in windows 10 s.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
the way things are going now, the store will be the future for windows 10. since the userbase in windows is so high for steam, and will continue to grow, i think its inevitable that valve will bring steam to the store. the thing is, since the games offered through steam are not from the windows store, how would that work out? the games couldnt be installed and wouldnt be playable since nothing other than uwp apps can be installed in windows 10 s.

That would be interesting to see indeed, but the game is installed through Steam anyway. If Valve would offer centennial desktop games, then they would be probably committing suicide since those are only in Windows Store. If MS can get developers to develop only games that work through Windows Store, then maybe Valve wouldn't be in such a great position, it's going to be very interesting to see development of this in future.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
That would be interesting to see indeed, but the game is installed through Steam anyway. If Valve would offer centennial desktop games, then they would be probably committing suicide since those are only in Windows Store. If MS can get developers to develop only games that work through Windows Store, then maybe Valve wouldn't be in such a great position, it's going to be very interesting to see development of this in future.

i see, so because the game is installed through steam it doesnt create a .exe file in the computer for the game to install? if so thats great and maybe possible for valve to offer steam through the windows store since all of the games would install through the uwp steam app. steam is such a unique situation because its a directory and launcher for games, not like a sketch pad or chat app, so im also really interested to see development of this.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
i see, so because the game is installed through steam it doesnt create a .exe file in the computer for the game to install?
It does but I didn't install any games on steam in a while so I forgot how that actually looks like xD Will install AC Unity now and see how it plays out. Of course you wouldn't be able to play such games on the Surface Laptop though.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It does but I didn't install any games on steam in a while so I forgot how that actually looks like xD Will install AC Unity now and see how it plays out. Of course you wouldn't be able to play such games on the Surface Laptop though.

okay haha cool. let us know how that goes. :D

SpaciousZebra

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I actually disagree concerning gaming...I would say most students do not care about gaming on their laptops. They've either purchased a TV and gaming console or just don't play video games. They should be focused on their studies anyways haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077