Terrible SSD speeds?

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Stumbled across this video.. Hit the 2:50 mark to see what he says about the SSD..

These are absolutely horrendous speeds for a 2017 machine... I am cancelling my order and will wait and see after they get into the hands of users before deciding if I want to order one again...

As a comparison to what he says:

Surface Laptop 256GB SSD: Read 900 & Write 200
Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen 256GB: Read 1600 & Write 1100

YouTube video (SSD speed is discussed at the 2:50 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQgaEL8gn3Q

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
That is a bit disapointing but I really wanna see some real world tests considering its apprently "integrated onto the motherboard". Wondering if that will acc have any impact.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think all model levels of the Surface Laptop will have the NVMe SSD. I think you need to buy at least the 512GB model to get NVMe but the information is really sketchy right now.

But "slow" is relative. Most people's experience with an SSD is with a regular SATA SSD. PCI NVMe is for the elite and many motherboards don't even support NVMe.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
As above. The speed gain you notice from an SSD is due to the low latency. Check the latency figure for a speed comparison. Bulk transfer rates are not the stats to consider for most home uses, and certainly not for portable devices like tablets and ultrabooks.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
As above. The speed gain you notice from an SSD is due to the low latency. Check the latency figure for a speed comparison. Bulk transfer rates are not the stats to consider for most home uses, and certainly not for portable devices like tablets and ultrabooks.

They most certainly are when you compare the speeds to other ultrabook computer... 200 write? Wow just wow... That's is terrible!

The X1 Carbon I referenced in the original post is a lightweight ultrabook and it demolishes the Surface laptop... Aside from the X1 Carbon I am sure just about every other high end ($$$$$) ultrabook will smoke the number put out by the Surface Laptop..

I mean come on now.. They are not cheap machines but MS appears to have seriously skimped out on the SSD... The read speeds are meh but the write speeds are flat out laughable..

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
not every ultrabook comes with a PCIe NVMe. not every model of every product line will have it either. sorry to disappoint you. if you think they all have it, you really don't know your tech.

even the base X1 Carbon comes with a SATA SSD. And the base Carbon X1 starts at $1300. it's kind of unfair to compare a PC equipped with an PCIe NVMe with one with a SATA.

nvme.jpg

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
not every ultrabook comes with a PCIe NVMe. not every model of every product line will have it either. sorry to disappoint you. if you think they all have it, you really don't know your tech.

even the base X1 Carbon comes with a SATA SSD. And the base Carbon X1 starts at $1300. it's kind of unfair to compare a PC equipped with an PCIe NVMe with one with a SATA.

View attachment 136052

Read the post.. I was not comparing the base 128GB versions... If you don't think the speeds are laughable in a $1300 computer then I don't really know what else to say...

Since you are in attack mode saying someone does not know their tech, lets try this AGAIN.. I will add the prices as well.

Surface Laptop 256GB SSD: Read 900 & Write 200 = $1300
Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen 256GB: Read 1600 & Write 1100 = $1200**

** I paid $1200 for mine during the Memorial Day Sale. It's i5 / 8 / 256

If you know anything about Lenovo then you know to wait for sales as they have them all the time..

If you missed this sale then wait till July as they will have one again for the 4th. Prob start a week or so before hand..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-06-03 at 15.34.21.png
    Screenshot 2017-06-03 at 15.34.21.png
    238.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
you can be irrational and angry all you want. but for $1300 Carbon X1, you're not getting the NVMe SSD. and yet that's the one you're picking a fight for.

I also watched the video just now and I didn't see a mention of the X1. So you must have cherrypicked them from some review out there so we don't even know if it's the same specs.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
you can be irrational and angry all you want. but for $1300 Carbon X1, you're not getting the NVMe SSD. and yet that's the one you're picking a fight for.

I also watched the video just now and I didn't see a mention of the X1. So you must have cherrypicked them from some review out there so we don't even know if it's the same specs.

Really? I see you don't bother to read the post.. Can you not see the image I attached? I piad $1200 for mine and yes it has a NVMe SSD....

Irrational or angry? LOL

I stated facts but you decided resort to name calling and put downs instead of discussing the topic?

Cherry picked? LOL.. Compare any $1300 ultrabook.. Find me a 2017 $1300 ultrabook with a 200 write speed... ---> I'll wait, no rush...

Let me guess, another insult or name calling coming.....

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
really think you need to step back and read your messages. it's you who is posting the irrational superlatives. everyone else here is giving reasonable explanations. just because we disagree with you doesn't make us the ranters.

it doesn't matter what YOU paid. what matters is standard pricing. and $1300 apparently isn't even standard pricing but some Lenovo web discount. and this is straight off the Lenovo website:

carbon.jpg

and something is amiss... first you were considering the Surface Laptop. and all of a sudden you own the Carbon X1. so why are you shopping for the Surface Laptop when you have a brand new machine?

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
As previously stated wait for Lenovo or Dell or whomever sales. They have them all the time and they are constant..

You keep making statements that when proven wrorg you just deflect away.. I am still waiting for you to show me a $1300 ultrabook in 2017 that has slower SSD...

You don't appear to have anything to add to the conversation other than insults and deflection so to the ignore list...

and something is amiss... first you were considering the Surface Laptop. and all of a sudden you own the Carbon X1. so why are you shopping for the Surface Laptop when you have a brand new machine?

Nice attempt to discredit someone..

The X1 Carbon is for ME and yes I am looking at the Surface Laptop for my son. I am not paying $1300 for a water down PC.. I also assume the Surface Laptop will have a 7200U... Another bummer..

Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
hahaha. I see you went back and updated all your posts. sad. at least we know you bought on a sale with non-matching specs. 14" 1080P screen? 720p webcam. non-touchscreen. way to compare apples to apples. hahaha

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I edited 1 of the posts because of spelling errors and one because you edited yours after the fact and I needed to add your comments

Anyway thanks for another insulting post as I had forgot to add you to the ignore list..

In the future instead of insults and deflecting you might try and participate in the thread in non-combative nature.. I don't care if you don't as I won't see anymore of your postings...

Have a good day and enjoy those lightning fast SSD speed that the Surface Laptop will offer.. LOL

Ali Jradeh

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
really they could have used faster drives , but actually a lot of people won't realize the difference compared to sata ssds where real time performance won't be affected that much(for normal users a least).

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
really they could have used faster drives , but actually a lot of people won't realize the difference compared to sata ssds where real time performance won't be affected that much(for normal users a least).

I agree some will never notice the difference and it's all going to depend on how the machine is used.. I doubt anyone who decides to keep 10S on the machine will notice as they are limited in what can be done on it..

If the Laptop is aimed at college students then many people in that age group have GoPro's or the like and the ultra slow SSD's could be an issue if they are trying to edit and process any video that's large in size. People in that age group also might batch process photos ect..

MS cheap'd out on the SSD and the CPU (if the rumored specs are correct) and that is kind of a bummer considering the price..

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your X1 Carbon. I have the 3rd generation versions (all spec'ed out) it cost $2200. It's a great computer!

Comparing price between the Surface Laptop and the X1 Carbon is apples to oranges. Lenovo cheaps out other components to keep cost down. Your X1 Carbon does not have a touch screen. Not a great screen as wel. Has no pen support, but in return you really do get a great computer. signature Thinkpad keyboard with that red track point. The Surface Laptop is also great and that battery life with a touch screen is the best I have seen. It's very innovative and if the specs are good for you don't buy it.

Question, can you get a higher spec'ed hardrive if you upgrade it at the time of purchase?

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Congrats on your X1 Carbon. I have the 3rd generation versions (all spec'ed out) it cost $2200. It's a great computer!

Comparing price between the Surface Laptop and the X1 Carbon is apples to oranges. Lenovo cheaps out other components to keep cost down. Your X1 Carbon does not have a touch screen. Not a great screen as wel. Has no pen support, but in return you really do get a great computer. signature Thinkpad keyboard with that red track point. The Surface Laptop is also great and that battery life with a touch screen is the best I have seen. It's very innovative and if the specs are good for you don't buy it.

Question, can you get a higher spec'ed hardrive if you upgrade it at the time of purchase?

I agree and I was simply comparing the SSD speeds of 2017 ultrabooks...

Adding the Dell XPS 13 to the mix..

Surface Laptop 256GB SSD: Read 900 & Write 200
Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen 256GB: Read 1600 & Write 1100
Dell XPS 13 (2017) 256GB SSD: Read 1300 & Write 800

I don't think you can upgrade or special order anything on the Surface Laptop.. They offer like 3 configurations I think and that it..

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Unless you are constantly transfering large files or huge quantities of small files, the average user will not notice the difference.

I really don't think the question here is if the difference is noticeable or not. If you are paying a premium you would expect nothing less than the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes