USB-C ?! Bashing it is a bandwagon

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
It's become a trend to bash a device not featuring the USB- 'Type C'; For those bashers, how important is it in all honesty?
Most people use it for charging and seriously, it's not even of that much importance otherwise. Its' still USB A that is dominant everywhere and not type C. It's an annoying trend that people are following to bash on any device not featuring the Type C, however, how many of you'll really need it ? *barring charging*

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I agree with you. Maybe I am stuck in the "dark ages" but I don't have anything usb c and the only reason I would ever try something c would be if I actually had a device with it but otherwise what is the point. But I am also not ready to move onto 4k yet for the same reason that not everything has caught up to 4k yet. So this round I can skip usb c. Ask me again in 4 to 5 years I might have changed...

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I agree with you. Maybe I am stuck in the "dark ages" but I don't have anything usb c and the only reason I would ever try something c would be if I actually had a device with it but otherwise what is the point. But I am also not ready to move onto 4k yet for the same reason that not everything has caught up to 4k yet. So this round I can skip usb c. Ask me again in 4 to 5 years I might have changed...

I think most of us would've changed by then... My phone is 3 years old so a new one would require type C :p

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Personally I want it for charging everything, right now to take my Surface and an Android tablet with me when I travel I need 3 chargers. Just wish everything was universal.

Also any premium device at this point should have one, it's likely to become more important as time passes, and it would be ideal for a laptop or tablet to have both A and C.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Personally I want it for charging everything, right now to take my Surface and an Android tablet with me when I travel I need 3 chargers. Just wish everything was universal.

Also any premium device at this point should have one, it's likely to become more important as time passes, and it would be ideal for a laptop or tablet to have both A and C.

I know what you mean. If I had anything usb c right now I would probably want everything to be the same. Almost every device we own has the old style for phone and tablet so maybe that's also why I'm not complaining

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
It's become a trend to bash a device not featuring the USB- 'Type C'; For those bashers, how important is it in all honesty?
Most people use it for charging and seriously, it's not even of that much importance otherwise. Its' still USB A that is dominant everywhere and not type C. It's an annoying trend that people are following to bash on any device not featuring the Type C, however, how many of you'll really need it ? *barring charging*

I want everything to be USB-C just to get rid of the ANNOYING requirement to have it inserted a specific way and specific end. USB-C to USB-C is ideal since it can be inserted via either end and either orientation. Not to mention it is much faster. Imagine having 4 USB-C cables instead of DisplayPort cable, USB to Micro USB, USB to lightning, USB-A printer.

The tips are also smaller footprint, making it less crowded for certain devices like TVs where you need a little dongle to hook up your components. You don't know the struggle. Like having a 6 port power strip and you have 3 large AC adapters.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
well, now we're in dongle hell and I'm having to carry so many cables because of my new Samsung phone because none of my devices are USB-C. I can't even charge the phone in the car because the car expects USB-A

May 15, 2017
Visit site
you can't blame people on a tech site for wanting the latest technology.
it doesn't bug me as much as for example other devices not having a headphone jack, but i get where people are coming from.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site

"any premium device at this point should have one" - subjective.
If charging is your purpose for everything then why not just carry that charger? :/

I'm more interested to know why you carry an android tablet AND a surface :eek:

Msolok

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site

Good luck with that. USB-C currently isn't offering a single solution for charging, just a single cable for connection (and even with the cable you have to be VERY careful to use the correct ones for the level of power....). A computer that uses USB-C for charging (which is usually, but not always, Power Delivery (PD)) uses a different power delivery method than say a phone. And even Phones use different standards to each other, like QC2, QC3, Samsung adaptive charging, Dash Charge etc.
Using the wrong power adaptor type causes things like devices not charging, charging slowly, or even killing the device. So you will probably need to bring multiple charges with you anyway.

The reality is USB-C is a mess at the moment. Not only is it a mess for data things (transfer speeds and specs can be anything from USB 2 all the way up to Thunderbolt 3 4x bus) but for power as well. The more I think about it the more I think Microsoft was right to exclude it. Including it could just cause things like confusion, uncertainty and issues. Until it's sorted, which will be YEARS, i think Microsoft's decision to exclude it on their Premium devices is a good one.
The ability to cut down on cables at this stage is pretty much non-existent (almost no peripherals use USB-C, so you will still need you Micro-USB cables), and issues with compatibility still exists everywhere (take a look at complaints about some USB-C hubs working with some devices and not others).

This entire USB-C thing is blow FAR out of proportion. Most consumers have no idea what it is, and those who know about it are confused. Far better to leave it and give the ports that 99% of people need (because most phone's that use USB-C have a cable with USB-A at one end anyway, not USB-C both ends) then go with a new one that most don't use because it's "future proof, once the mess it currently is get's sorted, if it does".

jgibson2400

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
It is clear where the industry is going and presumably these laptops should be good for 3-4 years. It's not a big problem today but not having it will be an annoyance over time. a premium device in released in the second half of 2017 should have one and considering some of the product shots show one means that the Surface team possibly realizes that as well but just couldn't make it work with this iteration.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Bingo. I don't have any USB-C peripherals. If companies want me to adopt USB-C then offer notebooks that have the "usual" number of USB-A ports and have USB-C as an ADDITIONAL port. By "usual" I mean if a particular model of notebook offers 3 USB-A ports, then they should offer one with 3 USB-A and 1 USB-C port so that I can enjoy full connectivity now and bridge to USB-C in the future.

Then in 5 years they can offer a notebook with 3 USB-C and 1 USB-A. :grin:

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
Hello, first timer wanna join in here.

So i was gonna get the Dell XPS13-9370 but now leaning heavily toward the Surface Laptop. Here's my take on lack of USB-C and why I have come to accept it:

- Charging: Not really gonna work for me. I charge multiple device at once at night, so often I have to bring multiple cable anyway. I dont plan on carrying power brick during daytime, and a tiny phone charger/power bank isnt gonna do the job anyway. I would also be worried about using substandard usb-c cable to carry so much wattage. (after 4-5 cable, you start to lose track which is which, right now i have so many cheap micro USB cable lying around that cant carry data, i sometime spend minutes trying out cable to get to my external HDD! Until USB-C stabilize, i imagine that'd happen)

- Display: Im gonna miss this the most. I have never use a displayport (only HDMI currently), and I recently got a HDMI-USB-C cable for my Note8 to connect to TV, works great. I would have LOVE to be able to use that cable with the Surface! But this is really for use at home, so dongle would be acceptable. :(

- Peripheral: I dont have ANY usb stick in USB-C format right now. If i got the dell, i actually would have to suffer the dongle life! I would have like more port on the surface though, although I do find that i rarely use any thumb drive now that I do almost all my work in the cloud. The next usb stick i buy would probably be a dual USB-A/USB-C anyway, to keep it compatible with my Note 8 and all the computer out there.

- Speed: Surface has USB3.0 which isnt as fast as USB-C with its USB3.2, BUT the surface SSD isn't fast enough to take advantage of USB3.2 anyway, and hardly any computer out there do right now. It's like Thunderbolt when it first came out. I don't do video or anything with large file on regular basis, so its doubly ok for me.

- Future-proofing: Just like the VGA, USB-A will still be around for next 4-5 years (at least on the old computers that's still everywhere). Most peripheral connect via cable anyway, so the device require USB-C connection, the USB-A/USB-C cable should work just fine. in 4-5 years time, the current laptop will be outdated and be replaced anyway.

What do you guy think. I still havent pull the trigger yet, but I so very much want the Surface Laptop right now. (Basically I have always wanted a Macbook Air except I never wanted to use Apple! so now is my chance!)

Thank!

Richard Chacon1

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I run my surface laptop (i5 4GB) to my vizio c43 tv used as a monitor. I picked up a active display port mini to HDMI adaptor. Runs fantastic at 60HZ. I do like the surface power connector, similar to the mag safe on my MacBook air. As far as USB C, not a big issue. I'd rather have the USB 3 connector anyways, as to more the standards are in flux, and honestly the Surface Laptop is designed for productivity, not a video editor or gaming machine. A WD 1 TB portable hardrive is fast enough for my usage for external storage. Also having over 2 TB of one drive storage is always there. The way I feel, the more ports you have might be nice to some, but I feel it's just more complexity, and things to possibly break. To mw, it's about the portability and battery life. That is why I still use my late 2015 MacBook air as well.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Outside of charging I have no use for usb c...but charging is a pretty big deal. Between my girl and me we have...2 cell phones, a Nintendo switch and pro controller, Sony 1000mx3, MacBook 12, and two Chromebooks. All of these charge by usb c, it is really convenient to have these cords plugged in and stashed around my house. I admit though...I'm probably in the minority.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If I could use just one cable type THAT would be the bee's knees.

Microsoft can keep the Surface port for the Surface Dock and replace the A type ports with two C ports.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes