Surface 3 2 gb very slow

derekeh

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
With a fresh install of Windows 10, my surface 3 (2 GB ram, cellular version) is too slow to use anymore. Basic webpages are jumpy and typing is delayed. Is it simply too old and too little ram to use anymore? I just need it for basic web browsing and am hoping it can hold me over until the next surface go or pro comes out.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think if you can get windows 10 S on it, it's the way to go. My surface 3 has 4gb, windows home.... it's ok....... but would love to get it into S mode for free

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Hmm. Yeah 2gb is low. You can run windows 10 on 2, but it's a bit laggy.

One thing you could do is try to trim the OS as much as possible. Find a guide to removing/disabling background services (use a mouse, otherwise it'll be fiddly). Trim the software down too, kill all startup programs. This is something gamers do, there's a lot of stuff that runs on windows, even in a fresh install, regular users don't need running.

You could run something like Advanced systemcare (which doesn't improve things by much, but will help slightly IME, on a low spec machine)

Running in lower resolution can also help performance.

I'd probably also try other browsers too, look for something snappy. If all you do is browse, and you've got limited ram, the browser itself will probably make a difference. Chrome for example uses a fair bit of memory (300K+?) compared to other browsers, especially specifically light weight browsers. That's memory that isn't available to the OS, or the web content.

I think edge is snappier with low memory, but I think if you really wanted to optimize you could do better.

If you do all of this, or even some of it, you'll should get it closer to what you want.

Lastly, you could look at power options. In advanced power options you can customize CPU useage, and do things like turn up your baseline CPU speed. This will give you a performance boost, but you'll also loose screen on time, in terms of using more power. But if everything else doesn't get you there, this might help. (Assuming the CPU supports scaling). I find a little boost if I just change the baseline from 0%, to 30% speed.

Oh, and make sure your windows cache under system settings, has enough space. A full hard drive will slow down any machine.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
With a fresh install of Windows 10, my surface 3 (2 GB ram, cellular version) is too slow to use anymore. Basic webpages are jumpy and typing is delayed. Is it simply too old and too little ram to use anymore? I just need it for basic web browsing and am hoping it can hold me over until the next surface go or pro comes out.

I'm running Windows 10 Home 1809 (for now), with 2 GB, and the 3 is running fine. Certainly, no jumpiness or typing delays. Not sure I should update to 1909.

dexman335

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I donated my old Surface 3 (4/128) to my church when I purchased my Surface Go.

The S3 is fully updated...running 1909...and doesn't experience any unusual jumpiness or slowness.

My thought...

If it hasn't been tried, consider creating a System Recovery Drive and reset the S3 to its original OS. See if that makes a difference. Then update the unit and reload necessary apps. Delete any unnecessary apps.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm running Windows 10 Home 1809 (for now), with 2 GB, and the 3 is running fine. Certainly, no jumpiness or typing delays. Not sure I should update to 1909.

Following up: I updated to 1909 about a month ago, and all is running fine. The only thing that is slower/longer is the running of the Welcome screen/pause after I enter the PIN. I don't like/need the/some new Edge features, but I haven't checked whether that menu and popup are adjustable/optional. I mostly use it to browse -80%, reading PDFs with Nitro Reader, and running Spotify Premium and Amazon Unlimited Music: All good, best updates to all.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Not the same ram but my 4gb S3 is on version 2004 now, my kid uses it zoom meetings, teams meetings, roblox (just enough juice for most games he plays)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett