Colors and backlit for Power Cover?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
So far any pictures of the power cover have been black. Since it won't be out for a while, maybe more colors will leak as it gets closer. If there are any.

foaf

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
No back light for the power cover according to the AMAA. Which is slightly bizarre. Must have been a thickness issue
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I think they specifically called out that the Power Cover was not backlit because the purpose was to extend battery life and they didn't want to compromise that goal, but that could have been a blogger's comment I read.

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I think they specifically called out that the Power Cover was not backlit because the purpose was to extend battery life and they didn't want to compromise that goal, but that could have been a blogger's comment I read.

I believe the comment came directly from the Surface team during an ask reddit session.

Which just doesn't make any sense to me. You'd think if they were concerned with battery life then the normal Type cover 2 would not be backlit, and the powered version would be since it has all the extra juice available. Heck give us an option to turn it off if battery life is truly a concern.

My hope is that they change their minds and get the back light feature in there. Going from a backlit Type Cover 2 to a non backlit Power Type Cover I'm sure a lot of folks will be complaining about the missing feature once they've had it already for a few months (I for one would be).

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

It came from the Surface team, but that is a BS reason. If its not an option already why not make the backlight with an on/off switch? As for it being in black only, that is another dumb *** decision.

The color and backlight limitations combined with the astronomical price of $200 makes the power cover rather useless. Microsoft needs to come to their senses and price the touch/type/power covers a lot more reasonably.

StuBeck

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
For an extended battery, the pricing makes sense when it also includes a $130 keyboard. I'm going to get either a Touch Cover 2 or a Type Cover 1, and then splurge for the Power Cover when it comes out.