More CNET bias - Surface Pro 2 "Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly"

anon5351951

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: More CNET bias - Surface Pro 2 "Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly"

iCnet strikes again... How about next, we compare an Xbox 360 to a Gameboy colour?!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: More CNET bias - Surface Pro 2 "Comparing the Surface Pro to the iPad can get pretty ugly"

You mean aside from the obvious difference that the Pro has a full OS and that the RT only has a tablet OS? It blows my mind to still hear reviews talking about how confusing the RT/Pro difference is. It's really not a hard concept to grasp. It's almost like they've started making up reasons not to like it.

I was more curious to know if at a quick glance someone could see major differences between RT vs Pro. When the RT came out, a lot of what i read at a general level was RT gave a deceiving impression that theres a true full OS there but it doesnt exist. Again i have used either, other than playing around at my local best buy and drooling over both machines.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I was more curious to know if at a quick glance someone could see major differences between RT vs Pro. When the RT came out, a lot of what i read at a general level was RT gave a deceiving impression that theres a true full OS there but it doesnt exist. Again i have used either, other than playing around at my local best buy and drooling over both machines.

Well, maybe the new color of the Surface 2 will help alleviate any confusion?

the_coolestnerd

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

If Apple can charge $1000 for a MBAir with 720p resolution 11-Inch NON-TOUCH Screen, 4th Gen i5, 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM is the SP2 with 10.6 1080p TOUCH-SCREEN, 4th Gen i5, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM for $1000 really expensive???

well see the SP2 doesn't have a Apple logo on it so yes $1000 is too expensive lol

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Line them up, folks can't tell a difference other than the price. That's my point.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Line them up, folks can't tell a difference other than the price. That's my point.

Right...this is what i assumed. Again, now theres a different color scheme...so that should help lol

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

The thickness, the fan holes on it, and now the color. Not that hard to tell the difference.

json jett

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

tablet2.jpgtabletone.jpgsurface-ipad-story-620x385.jpg

Yes. The 16:9 aspect ratio is the problem. Hate it on my ThinkPads, too. Let me paint a picture of what I am conveying, and decide which is best... (The writing tablets at left are not in perspective with the primary school one, but you get the idea)

Last edited:

json jett

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

Want a more powerful RT? Then buy a Surface 2, it's packed power. And I don't see the issue with landscape, it gives you more to work with, really. Plenty of iPad apps come in landscape, and the Surface is still plenty usable in portrait.

This is my problem:
tablet3.jpg

(Landscape with a 16:9 ratio aspect yields a widescreen but too little height)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

and when you're watching a movie with 4:3, you get the opposite effect where you get black bars at the top and bottom. Each aspect ratio has its advantages/disadvantages.

Same can be said with HD gaming, and no im not referring to Infinity Blade...im talking about full fledged games like GTA5, Skyrim, Batman: AA, etc....everything is going 16:9. Infact i wouldnt even say 16:9 has disadvantages, unless you want to stay behind while resolutions/picture advance.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Curious to know if anyone here grasps why the iPad & iPad mini have sold millions upon millions of units altogether.

Excellent hardware? Cutting edge design? Easy & intuitive OS? Excellent app ecosystem? Value for the money? Mindshare?

My point? Surface can reflect all of those things, but will it sell even close to the number of units Apple has moved in just the last year alone?

You can talk about Apple's headstart in the tablet space all you want. Do you want a very capable niche product that produces modest sales in comparison to your primary competition? Or do you want to combine all of the aforementioned points to create a COMPELLING reason for consumers to spend their money on Surface?

If MS created and updated Surface to sell and make a profit, ( I'm assuming so), they have a ways to go. If they are banking on a steady evolution to build up their footprint in the market place then they STILL have a ways to go.

I want them to succeed, however if they want the Surface in many more hands, in enough hands to provide actual competition to Apple's choke hold on the tablet space, they must push the envelope in all phases from concept to roll out.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Curious to know if anyone here grasps why the iPad & iPad mini have sold millions upon millions of units altogether.

Excellent hardware? Cutting edge design? Easy & intuitive OS? Excellent app ecosystem? Value for the money? Mindshare?

My point? Surface can reflect all of those things, but will it sell even close to the number of units Apple has moved in just the last year alone?

You can talk about Apple's headstart in the tablet space all you want. Do you want a very capable niche product that produces modest sales in comparison to your primary competition? Or do you want to combine all of the aforementioned points to create a COMPELLING reason for consumers to spend their money on Surface?

If MS created and updated Surface to sell and make a profit, ( I'm assuming so), they have a ways to go. If they are banking on a steady evolution to build up their footprint in the market place then they STILL have a ways to go.

I want them to succeed, however if they want the Surface in many more hands, in enough hands to provide actual competition to Apple's choke hold on the tablet space, they must push the envelope in all phases from concept to roll out.

Sure iPads are well built and offer easy OS UI that is recognizable by the general consumer...but a major reason they sell is because they're an Apple product and have a massive amount of Apps. But I don't think anyone has denied that...and I don't think anyone here expects Surface to take off selling as quickly and well as iPad right away. So im not sure what the point of your statement is...but I do know we are still comparing a Surface Pro to a Tablet (iPad). Cant you agree thats like comparing apples and oranges?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Sure iPads are well built and offer easy OS UI that is recognizable by the general consumer...but a major reason they sell is because they're an Apple product and have a massive amount of Apps. But I don't think anyone has denied that...and I don't think anyone here expects Surface to take off selling as quickly and well as iPad right away. So im not sure what the point of your statement is...but I do know we are still comparing a Surface Pro to a Tablet (iPad). Cant you agree thats like comparing apples and oranges?

OK, so if the surface isn't a tablet , is it a laptop now? Ultra portable? What are we gonna compare it to ?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

OK, so if the surface isn't a tablet , is it a laptop now? Ultra portable? What are we gonna compare it to ?

compare to similar ultrabook/tablets...there are many on the market. If we compare the Surface Pro vs iPad in terms of functionality, usability, display and power...you still say the iPad wins?...if so then we shouldn't even be discussing beyond this point. Its a full Windows OS vs iOS (very limited, mobile OSx). Right?...

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

Why does it need to be compared at all? Its basically an ultrabook in "tablet" form.

People are so obsessed with trying to put it in a predefined class. Maybe it created a new class. Whatever it is, its what 99% of all PCs will be replaced with over the next decade.

The Surface Pro 2 is more powerful than most desktops people have at home. With the docking station, you just snap it while you are at home or work, but take it with you on the go. This is how computers are going to be. Portable and versatile. Just because the current market is fixated on the companion device, doesn't mean another segment can't be created.

The Surface Pro 2 is just like all the other convertible Windows 8 devices. A tablet when you want, a desktop when you need. Is it more expensive than some of them? Yes, because its a Premium device. You can compare to those devices all day long.

But it does not compare to an iPad. The iPad us not the only type of tablet. Just because its a crippled, companion device, doesn't mean the rest of the market has to limit itself.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

compare to similar ultrabook/tablets...there are many on the market. If we compare the Surface Pro vs iPad in terms of functionality, usability, display and power...you still say the iPad wins?...if so then we shouldn't even be discussing beyond this point. Its a full Windows OS vs iOS (very limited, mobile OSx). Right?...

Just trying to nail down what it is. You understand, the people at the sales counter are doing the same thing. If they are confused by what it is vs the iPad, that's a list sale. Won't matter how kick *** it is if folk don't relate to "what it is" vs an iPad, laptop, or ultra.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Why does it need to be compared at all? Its basically an ultrabook in "tablet" form.

People are so obsessed with trying to put it in a predefined class. Maybe it created a new class. Whatever it is, its what 99% of all PCs will be replaced with over the next decade.

The Surface Pro 2 is more powerful than most desktops people have at home. With the docking station, you just snap it while you are at home or work, but take it with you on the go. This is how computers are going to be. Portable and versatile. Just because the current market is fixated on the companion device, doesn't mean another segment can't be created.

The Surface Pro 2 is just like all the other convertible Windows 8 devices. A tablet when you want, a desktop when you need. Is it more expensive than some of them? Yes, because its a Premium device. You can compare to those devices all day long.

But it does not compare to an iPad. The iPad us not the only type of tablet. Just because its a crippled, companion device, doesn't mean the rest of the market has to limit itself.

The bias is heavy here. I don't care what the surface, iPad, or whatever runs. Im pointing out what customers will ask.

Telling them is "premium" or " a new class of device" might set off their bs alarm.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

The Surface Pro is a tablet.
Surface Pro while using keyboard is a laptop.
Direct quote from MS, "[FONT=wf_SegoeUI]Take Surface from tablet to laptop and back again with a quick flip of Type Cover. [/FONT]
Source: Microsoft

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon