10-06-2013 04:30 PM
28 12
tools
    1. It's an accessory. What do you expect?
    My guess is that they'll show the tablet side first before the desktop side of the equation.
    ...The problem with that is the fact that I'm going to use it as a pseudo-desktop.
    2. 8GB RAM is overkill for a 128GB device. I get it, you have a microSD card slot and you can always plug in an SSD anyway, but the latter doesn't make sense when on the go, the OS (and disk formatting) takes up at least 30GB of internal storage, the fact that a lot of microSD cards out there are slow and that the storage of iOS and Android cannot be compared to that of full Windows.
    Desktop applications take far more space than their mobile counterparts. You also have to install drivers for an external monitor if you want to do serious work.

As a final nail in the coffin, torrents are actually very popular. Every person who I know has a PC has uTorrent installed. Imagine what you'll do if you run out of space while trying to download the final episode of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
    That's painful.
    I'm looking at the Surface Pro 2 as a possible notebook replacement in my organization. Being able to dock is a huge deal. Without the docking feature ready day one I'll have to wait longer for full testing and possible deployment.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    10-06-2013 03:13 PM
    Surface Pro Gen 1 can be docked with third party docking station across multiple monitors. I get there is no first party docking station, but any Surface can be docked and extended across multiple monitors now.
    10-06-2013 03:44 PM
    I agree with the 128gb with 8gb ram as a little overkill. To me, if I had to do something that required 8gb of ram, it would eat up the 128gb very fast. I'm sure it would sell a little bit, but more as a niche product.

I say give Microsoft time to get their product chain in line. They pretty much doubled the amount of Pros over last year. Maybe soon you could make it like Apple where you could choose the CPU, RAM, storage, and even the battery (something Apple doesn't have afaik)
    chezm likes this.
    10-06-2013 04:30 PM
28 12