Docking solution

elysm1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 2 with 256gb on pre-order. I currently have a Dell XPS13 for work and use a Targus usb dock in order to connect to a monitor, ethernet, keyboard, and mouse. My question isn't whether or not this will work, but whether anyone is doing it currently with the original Surface? I like the idea of the new dock, but I take a lot of notes at work and would like the SP2 to replace my XPS13 and Note 8.0. My thought is that I'll just use the Targus dock, extend the display, and with the SP2 sitting on the desk I'll still be able to take notes and easily pick it up, disconnect the usb, and go. My one concern is that there is no way to charge through the usb. My thought was that I'd be able to get a cable that connects to the charging port of the surface and then to the usb port on the dock, that way I could charge it and be connected to the dock at the same time. Is this possible?

I know it is a little far fetched, but I'm poking and hoping at this point. Thank you for any constructive input.

elysm1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Why not just get the Docking Station for the Surface Pro 2? Anyways, the Targus is a universal dock, so it should work fine.

I like the new dock, but it's expensive, and won't allow the Surface to sit flat on the desk. I'd like to be able to take hand-written notes on it while it's docked.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Maybe a better solution would be to invest in a Miracast dongle for your monitor. Then you could wirelessly connect to the monitor and extend your display, without having to plug anything into the Surface Pro at all but a charger.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Search YouTube. I saw a video of one of those USB docks being used on a surface pro. It was pretty impressive.

Last edited:

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Until last week, I was using a SP with a Targus USB 3.0 dock. I had two monitors, external HD, mouse, keyboard, and Ethernet hooked up. No problems.

elysm1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a better solution would be to invest in a Miracast dongle for your monitor. Then you could wirelessly connect to the monitor and extend your display, without having to plug anything into the Surface Pro at all but a charger.

That would be awesome. I've never used miracast, would I be able to extend the display?

elysm1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
The dock was connected via USB, so the SP charged normally, thru the charging port.

That's what I was assuming, but I was hoping you found some alternative. I think that with any usb dock my only option will be to have the usb cable for the dock and the charging cable for charging. I'm being picky, I know, I was just hoping that there was a way to have the dock connected and charging with only one cable connected.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The new display port (1.2) will allow for daisy chaining of monitors. As long as your monitors have a display port, yes it will support dual monitors.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I use one of these with my Surface Pro...

Amazon.com: Toshiba Dynadock Docking Station (PA3927U1PRP): Computers & Accessories

WP_000089.jpg

I have dual monitors connected and it works great. I have my Surface standing up behind my keyboard and centered under the two monitors to the touch screen is right near my fingertips. For charging, I just connect the regular charger cable which is not a problem in my case. Though, I can see how you would want both cables on one side or a single cable if you want to use it as a writing surface. USB doesn't carry enough amperage to charge a higher power device like the Surface Pro so I don't think you will find any USB charging solutions. Your best bet is probably to just get creative with wire ties and maybe get a 90 degree USB 3.0 cable. This one would direct the USB cable up the left side towards the top of the Surface Pro...

Amazon.com : Estone Blue Vertical Left Angled 90 Degree USB 3.0 Male To A Female Adapter Converter : Computers & Accessories

As far as Miracast, that is probably a good option too if you only want to connect to one monitor and don't need wired Ethernet or extra USB ports. Miracast support is new in Windows 8.1 so I haven't been able to try it on my Surface Pro, but the Pro 2 should support it out of the box.

elysm1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Amazon.com: Toshiba Dynadock Docking Station (PA3927U1PRP): Computers & Accessories

View attachment 45335

I have dual monitors connected and it works great. I have my Surface standing up behind my keyboard and centered under the two monitors to the touch screen is right near my fingertips. For charging, I just connect the regular charger cable which is not a problem in my case. Though, I can see how you would want both cables on one side or a single cable if you want to use it as a writing surface. USB doesn't carry enough amperage to charge a higher power device like the Surface Pro so I don't think you will find any USB charging solutions. Your best bet is probably to just get creative with wire ties and maybe get a 90 degree USB 3.0 cable. This one would direct the USB cable up the left side towards the top of the Surface Pro...

Amazon.com : Estone Blue Vertical Left Angled 90 Degree USB 3.0 Male To A Female Adapter Converter : Computers & Accessories

As far as Miracast, that is probably a good option too if you only want to connect to one monitor and don't need wired Ethernet or extra USB ports. Miracast support is new in Windows 8.1 so I haven't been able to try it on my Surface Pro, but the Pro 2 should support it out of the box.

I actually own a dynadock that I use with my current setup. I'm not running dual monitors, but your setup is pretty sweet. I believe that I'll heed your advice and see about buying a new cable with a 90 degree and do it that way. Thank you for your input, and the time that you put into researching it.

jfourman

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
While I am waiting for my SP2, I am ordering all of the accessories. I originally planned to wait for the MS dock; but then I found this: Plugable UD-3000 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station. It has more ports than the MS dock at half the price. It is not as elegantly designed as the MS dock; but it will serve the purpose. You do need to connect both the charging connector and the USB 3.0 cable. The web page link has a video on its use. I believe it may be the video that poster etphoto referred to above. I received the dock last week. It is sleek and well built. Now I just need one more piece to make it work...my SP2 :excited:

dbdmora

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 45335

I have two VGA monitors, can i use this as well?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven