Xbox Controller?

elysm1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I've seen that the Surface Pro supports a wired xbox controller, which is awesome. My question is, will the Surface Pro 2 support a wireless controller? I've seen some stuff about buying a wireless receiver, but it seems silly to have a receiver plugged in with a wire so that I can use a wireless contoller; kinda defeats the purpose. I can't find anything about it, so if anyone has any information that would be great. Thanks.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It would be cool, but unfortunately not. The Xbox 360 wireless controllers use a custom method for wireless communication. That means that the tablet would need extra special hardware inside in order to connect to it.

However, the Xbox One wireless controllers use a custom protocol over Wifi-Direct. That means that with a special device driver from Microsoft, the Xbox One should be able to connect wirelessly to most devices with Wifi.

Microsoft stated this would not be possible at launch, but support will be coming not long after. Hope this helps!

elysm1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
It would be cool, but unfortunately not. The Xbox 360 wireless controllers use a custom method for wireless communication. That means that the tablet would need extra special hardware inside in order to connect to it.

However, the Xbox One wireless controllers use a custom protocol over Wifi-Direct. That means that with a special device driver from Microsoft, the Xbox One should be able to connect wirelessly to most devices with Wifi.

Microsoft stated this would not be possible at launch, but support will be coming not long after. Hope this helps!

That will be awesome if they make it happen, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime I'll just have to make due with a wired controller. Thank you kindly for the quick response.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Well, they didn't necessarily say that support for connecting directly to the device would be coming. They only specifically said that PC support is coming sometime in 2014. I'm hopeful as well that it will just connect via the Surface's built-in Wifi, but that's not at all confirmed yet.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
*facepalm*
so you expect magically surface pro tu have an invisible received for the wireless controller? im sorry but thats not logical...
the point of using a wireless controller its... exactly that... not having to care about the wire, not because it would look or not cool to have a receiver plugged... you know thats how it has been working forever... and surface pro its a PC in a Tablet form so you will have to deal with it...

but yeah, surface supports wireless Xbox controller... with a receiver that you always have to buy yoruself.even Surface RT supports wireles controller.

of course I guess you also meat something like Xbox One controller and "wifi direct" well answer its, Xbox one hasnt been released yet, and we dont know when or how Xbox one controller will be pc compatible, you know, you have to wait until next year to know that.

but wireless controller its compatible with a receiver (again, like it has always work) surface rt and surface pro work like that.

this video shows a wireless controller in action.
Halo Spartan Assault with Xbox 360 Controller on Surface RT and HD TV - YouTube

elysm1

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
*facepalm*
so you expect magically surface pro tu have an invisible received for the wireless controller? im sorry but thats not logical...

Actually it would be logical. The next time that you want to make one out of someone behind your computer, you may want to use it first to research the basis of your argument. Playstation controllers utilize a fairly popular technology known as Bluetooth (ring a bell?) to communicate with the gaming console. Pretty simple really, nothing "magical" about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro