Has anyone else been charged for their Surface Pro 2 pre order?

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd also asked the woman on the phone about my 2nd pre-order (even though I only got the email regarding CC problem on the 1st pre-order), and she says my 2nd one has same problem, argh.

As for other venues, my local-mall Microsoft Store in town said they're out of stock of all the Pro 2 models. I searched online and while Best Buy, Staples and Tiger Direct have some of the lower models, they're also out of the 256 and 512 GB models. Actually for Best Buy, the local stores don't carry the 256 & 512, but their online store claims to still have the 256 to ship out, but I wouldn't get it till end of Oct or start of Nov. Thus I'm inclined to wait on my existing Microsoft pre-orders to see if they can really ship them out to me by then as well...

P.S. I actually wanted the 512GB model for one of my pre-orders, but it was unavailable to click on back on Sep 24th for some reason...

mysticdragonfly

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
My pre order from Oct 9th was canceled too. Then out of the blue keyboard shipped. I chatted with Microsoft and they said my card was declaimed. Then a why was the keyboard shipped? Now they say I will get an email to update my credit card by Friday and then it will ship out. Is that true? I don't want to wait til Dec now. What's up with that?

Anyone else have this problem?

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the USA. Have 2 pre-orders placed 9/24 (both for 256GB). Supposed to have shipped Oct 21, but order status online for both still say "In process". Just got an email a few hours ago for one of the orders, stating:

"Unfortunately, we were unable to ship your pre-order xxxxxxxxxxx because your credit card company could not authorize your order for purchase. We have not canceled your order, and continue to hold your Surface for you.

In order to complete your order to purchase your Surface, you will need to provide another credit card for authorization between Friday, October 25th and Sunday, October 27th. We will email you by the end of the week with a link to update your payment information. If we don't hear from you in this window, we can no longer hold your order, but you can place another for future delivery.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause. If you have any questions, please call us at 877-696-7786 so we can help."

I checked my CC online but did not see any attempted or pending charges from Microsoft, strange. So I called the above number and the Indian woman who answered said the CC-declined problem is happening to *everyone* and they're getting a lot of calls from customers, but that she can't do anything and I just have to wait for the email to update the order payment. Strangely she said I don't even have to use a different CC, I can just re-enter the same CC to be re-submitted again?? At least she kept saying that I won't lose my place in line, we'll see if that's true...

What's going on here, did Microsoft switch to some new 3rd-party (or off-shore) order billing company that's causing all these problems?

I had an almost identical experience. I received that email and the people at the provided number had no record of me receiving that email. I'm speculating the adobe incident last month is why all the credit cards are 'compromised'. This process has been extremely frustrating.

Jason Harrison2

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I received a phone call from my Bank on Monday morning saying a payment tried to come out on Sunday evening and asked me to authorise it, so I did everything they said but payment wasn't taken.

Today I received an Email from MS stating my bank didn't authorise the payment and that my order isn't cancelled but I will receive an email tomorrow Friday to update my payment details before the 27th to get SP2 256GB shipped.

I phoned the number on the email to get more info, my pre order is still on the system just waiting for payment but was not able to pay on the phone unless i cancelled my order and made a new one to which she said it would still ship tomorrow??? But if I made a new order wouldn't that delay it till Dec 15th (United Kingdom) as updated on their site. Anyway I shall wait for the email tomorrow to enter new payment details so fingers crossed.

Hope you all get yours soon.

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
So I finally got the email with a link to update payment information on the order. Concerned that submitting the same CC again might lead to the same "declined" problem, I submitted another CC that was also registered on my Microsoft account (both CC's are good for what it's worth).

But after clicking to submit, the DARN website responded with some kind of error! I didn't write it down, it was something like "timeout error" or whatnot!? So I tried opening the link from the email one more time, but the website won't let me try this again, it now says:

"We're sorry, your order is not available for a payment update. Please view your account for details."

Argghh! Why Microsoft?

EDIT: Just got yet another email saying this order is now CANCELLED!

Thank you for shopping at Microsoft Store. Unfortunately, your order was cancelled due to your payment method not being authorized, or our receiving incorrect payment information. If you believe this cancellation was in error and you would like to re-place your order, please contact your financial institution, and notify them you will be resubmitting your order, or try again using a different credit card to place your order.

Should I have just tried to submit the SAME CC again, instead of a different CC??

EDIT2: On the phone right now with another Indian man with broken English, and I'm giving him a piece of my mind. Kinda feel bad though since it's not his fault...

He ducked out to "talk to manager" and came back saying he can place a new order for me, and I can get it by DEC 15. Grr, no thanks!

I also had him check on my second pre-order and he doesn't have anything new to report, it still says order in process.

Last edited:

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I went back to MicrosoftStore.com to check on stock status (at least for USA where I am).

SP2 256/512 still showing Dec 15. And now most of the accessories (Type Cover 2 Charcoal, Touch Cover 2, Arc Touch Mouse Surface Edition) are showing out of stock altogether (these were included in my cancelled pre-order).

But strangely, it's letting me add the Docking Station to cart, even though it wasn't supposed to be available until next year? Are there glitches in the system?

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
So I finally got the email with a link to update payment information on the order. Concerned that submitting the same CC again might lead to the same "declined" problem, I submitted another CC that was also registered on my Microsoft account (both CC's are good for what it's worth).

But after clicking to submit, the DARN website responded with some kind of error! I didn't write it down, it was something like "timeout error" or whatnot!? So I tried opening the link from the email one more time, but the website won't let me try this again, it now says:

"We're sorry, your order is not available for a payment update. Please view your account for details."

Argghh! Why Microsoft?

EDIT: Just got yet another email saying this order is now CANCELLED!

Thank you for shopping at Microsoft Store. Unfortunately, your order was cancelled due to your payment method not being authorized, or our receiving incorrect payment information. If you believe this cancellation was in error and you would like to re-place your order, please contact your financial institution, and notify them you will be resubmitting your order, or try again using a different credit card to place your order.

Should I have just tried to submit the SAME CC again, instead of a different CC??

EDIT2: On the phone right now with another Indian man with broken English, and I'm giving him a piece of my mind. Kinda feel bad though since it's not his fault...

He ducked out to "talk to manager" and came back saying he can place a new order for me, and I can get it by DEC 15. Grr, no thanks!

I also had him check on my second pre-order and he doesn't have anything new to report, it still says order in process.

This is almost my exact experience. I just got off the phone and they said that they show my order still in process even though the website says cancelled. This is truly unbelievable. The only other thing worth noting is that my second cc entered and error'ed out like you is that when I look at the original receipt it now has the updated cc number instead of the last compromised cc number.
Why would anyone order through this website again?

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks PhilWitt, I'm not sure if I feel better or not, that at least I'm in good company :)

I checked the original receipt for my order online, and I too see the new CC number now listed there.

I just don't get why Microsoft's online billing and order processing are so troublesome. After their nearly USD 1 billion write-off last quarter for excess Surface inventory, they've gotta be desperate to make the second gen more of a success story. These problems are undermining that...

OTOH the first gen's excess supply might lead Microsoft to ration production capacity more conservatively this time around. Perhaps that's a reason why at least some models have constrained supply and long back-orders (for those who are ordering, or re-ordering now)?

drunkbuddha

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. I called them up about 20 minute ago. Talked to an Indian guy who put me on hold like 5 times. He asked me like 4 times whether I want to put in a new order because my old order is canceled. But my new order would be shipped Dec 15.

I told him I placed an order on October 2, and was promised that it would be shipped now. So I do not want it in December. So after the final time he placed me on hold, he came back and told me there is a technical error. My preorder would be honored, and I would be getting my pro 2 soon. I think you need to be a little hard on them and push things a little bit.

He gave me a number to call 1800 642 7676. His English wasn't good. Now I think about it.... Am I suppose to call this number to put my order in, or is this just a number to call back if i need anything else on the matter?

Can someone confirm what I'm suppose to do with this number?

Thank you

Update. received an email Sunday saying my order has been canceled. I called them up, told them my story. After 10 min of them looking into it, they can only put in an order in for Dec 15. They said the Microsoft rep I talked to on Friday misinformed me. So I ask for the names of the rep I talked to on Friday and also of the guy I was talking to at the time so that I can file a complaint. He hung up on me. I only know his first name, which is Mel.

this really changed my opinion on Microsoft. Very disappointed.

Last edited:

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
On the phone again for the 4th time this week. The lady last night said my order was still processing even though I was seeing it canceled on the website. I think she was just trying to get me off the phone. This morning I call (on hold now) and this lady said that it is for sure canceled. I'm just dumbfounded at this whole experience. I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a news story yet.

I will post more as the story develops......

update 1:
OMG!
It was suggested I place a new order and not today, tomorrow because if I place it today it will automatically be canceled again.
WHAT is that?

I said no, I was told it would all ship out today. I want to figure out a way right now to make that happen. Not tomorrow because that will take me out the line which is the reason I pre-ordered in the first place.

I'm back on hold again.

update 2:
So now I'm supposed to wait a couple of hours so I can receive an email and simply type in my billing zip code and it will be shipped out immediately.
Who the heck are these guys?

on hold again.

update 3:
Speaking with a manager did not help. I'm so confused. I wish amazon sold what I wanted.

Last edited:

Jason Harrison2

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Update 2:

Didn't get the second email for the pre order, but received a phone call from MS asking about the issue and if I had the email yet. My response was no so she gave me a link to go to and was able to update my payment details.

Think my problem was the default address on my MS account was when I had an xbox 360 so had the wrong address for billing, this caused a problem with the check on the bank. but since I've updated my account still says in process but can see in my bank the funds are being processed and should post it on Monday IF ALL GOES WELL.

Surface Pro 2 256GB (UK)

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I am done with Microsoft Store. I actually searched amazon which took me to tigerdirect and decided on the sp2 128/4gb and touch cover 2 that they had in stock. So far I've already received a confirmation email with NO errors. If they truly have them in stock I expect to have it shipped out today. I could kick myself for not attempting this earlier in the week. Lesson learned!

update: AND tigerdirect has already charged my cc successfully! So easy, what a concept.

update 2: Now I have a tracking number and will eagerly await for my surface pro 2 and touch cover no thanks to Microsoft Store. Thank you Tiger Direct!

Last edited:

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately no one I checked (Tiger Direct or anyone else) seems to have the SP2 256GB or 512GB model in stock :( I also haven't had any status updates on my 2nd pre-order, but at this point I'm assuming it'll have problems just like my first pre-order...

Curiously I did get a call and email follow-up from a real Microsoft rep, from a Dallas, TX area code (I'm in Houston, TX). She was very understanding, but nonetheless can't offer anything beyond placing a new order with Dec 15 shipping.

lukus99

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I've got a question, In the UK Microsoft store it says ships by December 15th, but in the payment section it says ships by 29th October. Which is more Likely? The money has gone out of my account so hopefully I'll get it next week.

This is for the 256GB Surface Pro 2 Btw.

Edit - Even on the email it says ships by 29th. I'm quietly hopeful. (I only ordered it yesterday btw.)

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
FYI as expected, I got a cancellation email for my 2nd pre-order earlier this morning (this second one never even got an email to update payment details, unlike the first one).

I wonder, which payment method is usually more successful with Microsoft billing? Paypal? A debit card? The CC I originally used with my two pre-orders was American Express, and it led to both being cancelled in the end...

russmov

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Monday last week I received an email from future shop saying they couldn't process my order so I cancelled that and ordered another. Now I have had mine since Thursday afternoon and just received another email from future shop saying they have shipped my new SP2. Complete amateurs apparently working at future shop. Oh well it will just go back when I get it, but what a hassle.

bastanet

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Drunkbuddha I have a similarly bad situation with MS Store support.

1. I had a pre-order (256gb) at the start of October but I wanted a student discount applied so they had to make a new order. This was mid-October. I told the customer rep, do not make the new order if this would delay my pre-order. The guy said, do not worry, you will get your device on the release date.

2. A pre-authorization charge happens on my card. My type keyboard arrives but no Surface Pro 2. I make a call to ask what happened, they said, oh your order says December 15, I then referenced the previous ticket number where the customer rep assured me no delays. I also gave my pre-order numbers (current and the previous one)

3. Another pre-authorization charge happens. So I am carrying two surface pro 2 pre-authorizations on my credit card, essentially putting my card on hostage. I ask about it and they said that normally happens when it's about to ship. I said that's weird, but ok.

4. I make another call the following day, apparently the pre-authorizations are for both the cancelled order and the current pre-order. They supposedly escalated my issue with level 2 support and they're supposed to call me. The agent apologized and was saying they can't do anything but offered to sell me a 128GB. I didn't want that device and I told the agent to follow up with the support and tell them that's not an acceptable solution to my issue.

Still waiting now for some kind of resolution. Supposedly the level 2 support will give me a call. Not sure when that will happen and what kind of solution they will have for me. I don't think I have to put up with this because of a mistake that their customer support made. 10% off is not worth this aggravation.

If there were a real substitute product for the device I would've taken my business elsewhere.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
They'll never call back... when you are told by ANY company "we will call you back", it means "I have no freaking clue, and I want to hang up". You will to have to call back. In all my years, I have not heard 1 single large company that calls one back, nor experienced that. only small companies as they need every sale, and maximum satisfaction in the hope you'll mention how great they are as free a free ad for them.

I would not worry about anything. You know why? You used a credit card, it's the banks money.. not yours. So what it means, is that if you are charged for 2 and only get 1, you contact the credit card company and notify of the error charge, which the bank will rectify on your side, and they'll battle with Microsoft to know what happened. Perhaps, it might be wiser to notify them about this issue, and be sure to mention to make a note on your case. They might also suggest actions to take.

If you DO end up with 2x Surface Pro... no problem. From my understanding they have free returns... so just return it. Just don't open the box. I don't know if the return shipping is paid or not. Contact Microsoft for that, as it might vary between regions. If you need to pay shipping, and there isn't a Microsoft store near by, then that sucks. You probably will need to push things, which sucks.

One thing I learned from experience with big companies... whether Dell, HP, Lenovo, or wtv... the system they use never assumes special requests. That is something you should always keep in mind. As soon as you ask them to do some special request, you are asking trouble, as you can fall with someone that think they can do it (as he or she is trained to pretty much say "no problem!" for great service on anything), and you end up with a mess like you have right now.

Always keep it simple.

bastanet

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to make a call later and just see what's up. If there's nothing I'll just buy off DrunkBuddha's linked site. (Though they appear to be out of stock too) then cancel my orders. Oh well. MS' inexperience in handling a store experience on their own has screwed a lot of potential customers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss