Treat the SP2 like a computer?

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
So I'm new to the fascination with the surface products. I had. A question regarding the SP2. If this is running a full version of windows, does this mean that one should/needs to install security programs like Norton or McAfee on it? And if this is the case, wouldn't it quickly fill up the hard drive space, causing it to eventually perform slower as updates pile up?
I'm really interested in this product and am thinking of replacing my little netbook with it but would hate for its performance to become mediocre over just a few years. Thanks for any info!

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the original Surface Pro and yes, I would recommend some type of anti-virus (definitely not Norton or McAfee though), but I don't think you need to worry about storage or performance issues. Mine has definitely held up over time. These things are head and shoulders above those old netbooks, so if that's what you're used to you'll be blown away.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So I'm new to the fascination with the surface products. I had. A question regarding the SP2. If this is running a full version of windows, does this mean that one should/needs to install security programs like Norton or McAfee on it? And if this is the case, wouldn't it quickly fill up the hard drive space, causing it to eventually perform slower as updates pile up?
I'm really interested in this product and am thinking of replacing my little netbook with it but would hate for its performance to become mediocre over just a few years. Thanks for any info!

The Surface 2 Pro IS a computer.

I personally don't have a separate antivirus on my Surface Pro. I rely on good and safe habits combined with the default Security Essentials.

I'd recommend getting as much storage space as you can. Also, don't go installing everything under the son.

It's also a good idea to get an SD card to store files if you think you'll have trouble with the amount of space you have.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the built in Windows Defender should be OK for normal use

the storage can potentially become cramped if you install a boatload of stuff (does the pro have an SD slot?)

the Pro is actually a pretty powerful computer, especially compared to a netbook, just in a tablet body.
it'll easily blow away my current ThinkPad I would think

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
There is a powerful message in your post if you read between the lines.

... install ... Norton or McAfee ... causing it to eventually perform slower ...

I cannot recommend strongly enough AGAINST installing either of those products. I would rather have a virus than have Norton or McAfee on my PC. I'm half joking, but both products really are way too bloated and invasive.

AVG is pretty lightweight and does a good job, but MS Security Essentials is even better in my opinion. Starting with Windows 8 it's built into the OS (merged into Windows Defender) and I haven't had any need for anything else. It's so well integrated and so light on resources you don't even know it's there until you need it.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments. I am indeed coming from a netbook and after a few years, it is already slowing down quite a bit.
Here is another question: there is a SD card slot right? I can't remember if it was a micro or not. But would it be possible to store music or photos on there and have the music or photo app pull the files from the card?

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It's micro SD and yes you can do that. The best way to do it is to add the folder location on the SD card to the built in music library. The music library shows up in windows file explorer and you can add folders to it through its properties menu. there are libraries for pictures, videos, and documents as well. The built in MS programs all point to those libraries so it should be seemless.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
im currently relying on Windows Defender on my Surface Pro 2...but if the time comes when i feel the need for anti-virus software ill install AVAST, which is FREE and has worked flawleesly for me 5 years and counting on my desktop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos