Where To Get a 256GB Pro 2 on Launch Day?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Is it safe to assume that unless you pre-ordered early, we cannot go to Best Buy and get a 256GB Surface Pro 2? I've checked stores in my area and did Zip Codes for major areas...it looks like they will not get the 256 or 512 on launch day.

milesmcever

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
It was the same at the local best buy here ended up picking one up at the Microsoft store. At first they were not going to let me pick one up they said those were only for people that had preordered them, the problem with this was the call center was telling people they had them in stock even though they were spoken for. I ended up speaking with the manager about this and they ended up letting me get one. Also got the touch cover with it couldn't be happier.

dsharp75

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree, this is some bs. Especially on Best Buy's part. Forget that there's supposed to be a Microsoft section in the Best Buy stores now like Samsung and Apple. Best Buy's been advertising all 4 versions of the Pro 2 since it was announced, but get this: you could "pre-order" the 256 version, but not pick it up in stores and it wouldn't actually be shipped until after launch day and I haven't heard from the people I know that pre-ordered it getting theirs yet. But as soon as launch day happened, it reversed! You can't order it to be shipped at all, but you can pick it up in the store, but no stores nationwide have it! They have tons of the 64gb version, which no one wants (apparently they didn't learn from the first generation because no one actually wanted the 64 version of pro 1 either) and the 128, but no 256 and no 512. At least they have the decency to state the 512 version was sold out online and is back ordered by 1-2 weeks. The 256 version though? They can't say that because they never had it. I've called and visited stores in the vain hope that it's just a web site error, but no - they really didn't order any. And everyone wants to throw blame. Some at Microsoft, some at not pre-ordering. Bull. You're a major brick and mortar, dying by the way, and when you post a product and want to retain business, you meet that head on. It would be different if they actually ordered a limited stock, like 3 and then quickly sold out. But that's not the case. I've personally seen lots of the 64gb version, a few 128's and 0 256/512 versions. That's bad ordering, bad decisions and not only lost sales, but very possibly lost consumer. What happened here is akin to bait and switch. It isn't, mind you - just akin. Again it would be different if just the 3 stores I visited sold out or didn't order any, but they didn't sell out because they were never there to sell out. The sad thing is, not only do they not know of the magnitude of this colossal blunder (meaning this missed opportunity sparks giving up on brick and mortars in the first place and subsequently moving to only online retailers), but a. the people answering the phones don't care, b. the sales people in the store don't care, c. management doesn't know (and possibly doesn't care) - but then they wonder why and how they're losing sales to competitors.
Hey, being in retail is tough, don't misunderstand me and assume I'm aware of all the intricate portions that make the machine known as Best Buy work. But at the simplest level, evaluate this. Product is announced, you advertise it on your site for "pre-order" with "free shipping". Product actually becomes available, you stopped accepting pre-orders and switch to in store only, but no with stock. In the entire United States. At least you don't lie and say sold out, because as fast as people can order online, nothing sells out nationwide in 2 seconds - which is how long it took for my page to refresh on launch day at 12:01 when the product should have been made available.
Sorry, this is long, and I know some people will feel me on this. That's cool.
I also know that ones that will attempt to poke holes in this and say silly things like "why didn't you pre-order?".
To answer that, because there is no product known to man that you should have to pre-order. But more specifically, if you're afraid it'll sell out - by all means, pre-order it you just gotta have it. But let's face the facts, the Surface Pro 2 is not a hot selling product. A good product yes, overpriced definitely. But this is about Best Buy, well, brick and mortar in general really, it just so happened that Best Buy is trying to stay competitive and re-energize itself. I've answered surveys from them quite a few times and they clearly revamped the rewards program. That's nice and encourages you to continue to shop there (and the more you do, the greater rewards, blah, blah, blah) and heck, I decided to give them another go. And then this happens. What should have been a seal-the-deal moment, turned into a deal breaker. As of this writing, the day after launch, you still can't get a Surface Pro 2 (256) from Best Buy. Nationwide. And that's just sad. And they won't do anything about it, which gives me as a now on the fence consumer, no incentive to do any more business with them. They could reach out and rectify, but seriously - I'm only one guy. The bottom line will miss me - I do a fair amount of tech shopping year round not only for myself, but for others. I recommend tech equipment and where to obtain said items all the time. It's much easier and faster to order online, but nothing beats going in and touching products. But I guess, I'll have to evolve and move past physical stores.... :unhappy:

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
The MS Store in Bridgewater mall, NJ had the 521 and 256 on launch day. I was under the impression that these 2 models are only available after Dec 15th. So, I went ahead with the 128 while he was putting everything together, I just asked him when will the 512 and the 256 available in store. He said, they sold out of 512 and have a couple more 256 left. I jumped and took the 256 instead. Not sure why this rumor started through...

milesmcever

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Think it was per area the Microsoft store near me said they got no 512GB versions and they were the only one in the area getting the 256GB versions. When I went by Bestbuy earlier that morning they were unloading them from the truck and the guy said when they do these releases it comes in on a truck not theirs so what their stock shows might not match what they are unloading. Then he came back to say they were getting no 256GB versions.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I agree, this is some bs. Especially on Best Buy's part. Forget that there's supposed to be a Microsoft section in the Best Buy stores now like Samsung and Apple. Best Buy's been advertising all 4 versions of the Pro 2 since it was announced, but get this: you could "pre-order" the 256 version, but not pick it up in stores and it wouldn't actually be shipped until after launch day and I haven't heard from the people I know that pre-ordered it getting theirs yet. But as soon as launch day happened, it reversed! You can't order it to be shipped at all, but you can pick it up in the store, but no stores nationwide have it! They have tons of the 64gb version, which no one wants (apparently they didn't learn from the first generation because no one actually wanted the 64 version of pro 1 either) and the 128, but no 256 and no 512. At least they have the decency to state the 512 version was sold out online and is back ordered by 1-2 weeks. The 256 version though? They can't say that because they never had it. I've called and visited stores in the vain hope that it's just a web site error, but no - they really didn't order any. And everyone wants to throw blame. Some at Microsoft, some at not pre-ordering. Bull. You're a major brick and mortar, dying by the way, and when you post a product and want to retain business, you meet that head on. It would be different if they actually ordered a limited stock, like 3 and then quickly sold out. But that's not the case. I've personally seen lots of the 64gb version, a few 128's and 0 256/512 versions. That's bad ordering, bad decisions and not only lost sales, but very possibly lost consumer. What happened here is akin to bait and switch. It isn't, mind you - just akin. Again it would be different if just the 3 stores I visited sold out or didn't order any, but they didn't sell out because they were never there to sell out. The sad thing is, not only do they not know of the magnitude of this colossal blunder (meaning this missed opportunity sparks giving up on brick and mortars in the first place and subsequently moving to only online retailers), but a. the people answering the phones don't care, b. the sales people in the store don't care, c. management doesn't know (and possibly doesn't care) - but then they wonder why and how they're losing sales to competitors.
Hey, being in retail is tough, don't misunderstand me and assume I'm aware of all the intricate portions that make the machine known as Best Buy work. But at the simplest level, evaluate this. Product is announced, you advertise it on your site for "pre-order" with "free shipping". Product actually becomes available, you stopped accepting pre-orders and switch to in store only, but no with stock. In the entire United States. At least you don't lie and say sold out, because as fast as people can order online, nothing sells out nationwide in 2 seconds - which is how long it took for my page to refresh on launch day at 12:01 when the product should have been made available.
Sorry, this is long, and I know some people will feel me on this. That's cool.
I also know that ones that will attempt to poke holes in this and say silly things like "why didn't you pre-order?".
To answer that, because there is no product known to man that you should have to pre-order. But more specifically, if you're afraid it'll sell out - by all means, pre-order it you just gotta have it. But let's face the facts, the Surface Pro 2 is not a hot selling product. A good product yes, overpriced definitely. But this is about Best Buy, well, brick and mortar in general really, it just so happened that Best Buy is trying to stay competitive and re-energize itself. I've answered surveys from them quite a few times and they clearly revamped the rewards program. That's nice and encourages you to continue to shop there (and the more you do, the greater rewards, blah, blah, blah) and heck, I decided to give them another go. And then this happens. What should have been a seal-the-deal moment, turned into a deal breaker. As of this writing, the day after launch, you still can't get a Surface Pro 2 (256) from Best Buy. Nationwide. And that's just sad. And they won't do anything about it, which gives me as a now on the fence consumer, no incentive to do any more business with them. They could reach out and rectify, but seriously - I'm only one guy. The bottom line will miss me - I do a fair amount of tech shopping year round not only for myself, but for others. I recommend tech equipment and where to obtain said items all the time. It's much easier and faster to order online, but nothing beats going in and touching products. But I guess, I'll have to evolve and move past physical stores.... :unhappy:

Vent away...sometimes we have to. I've been a Microsoft Supporter for a long time but far from a ****** and will give them criticism when needed. My workplace was ready to buy 2 of these on launch day. I understand the whole write down on the original Surface but surely, get these high end models in the stores...at least a very limited number...there are people out there who want them.

And I can echo your Best Buy comments...their availability of the 256 modem keeps changing. It went from in store only but no one having them to suddenly, online only with 1 day estimated shipping. I even called the 800 number to confirm the 1 day availability. So, I get online, make my order and bam, it says the item has been removed due to low stock levels and now, we can no longer select the 256 model for shipping. So frustrating.

So, they lost a sale on one of them as our owner decided on a Lenovo ultrabook. I've still got my Pro 2 on order through Microsoft Store but need to wait for December 15th. :(

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The only online stores that I have them listed are:

Best Buy
PCM
Tiger Direct
Microsoft Store

There may be others but no 256GB at all. PCM actually shows IN STOCK on the 512, which is interesting.

Last edited:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Best Buy, once again, show's them available for shipping within one business day. This time it did accept my order...watching it carefully for changes.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
It shows cancelled...we have another open order on Microsoft Store still showing IN PROCESS.

I know we need to be patient but some of us Microsoft Supporters wanted a 256GB model on launch day! :(

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
My Yoga2 order is in process of being cancelled and my only other option is SP2. I can run to Best Buy today and get the 128/4gb, but I really prefer the 256/8gb. Wondering how much I want to wait though.

It shows cancelled...we have another open order on Microsoft Store still showing IN PROCESS.

I know we need to be patient but some of us Microsoft Supporters wanted a 256GB model on launch day! :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss