The Official "I got a Surface Pro 2" Thread

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, MBytes. I didn't know all that. I've heard of Display Port, but hadn't ever looked at it, so I didn't know all that. I just wish Microsoft would have either labeled this better, or made it clear that there were incompatibilities. I saw HDMI and I saw VGA. I grabbed HDMI for one reason and one reason only. Because I already have an HDMI cable coming out of the monitor on my desk at work. The monitor has VGA, DVI, and HDMI, and it is one of two monitors connected to my work laptop, so on my desk there are three screens. When I get bored, I pull out my own laptop to tinker, and sometimes I plug the HDMI into it (the DVI is connected to the work machine), so I can use two screens on my own laptop. Of course, it depends on what I'm doing, but that's how it works, sometimes.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.... Just had another thought - if the Display Port is a standard port, then I don't have to buy Microsoft's adapter, do I? I can buy one that's a lot cheaper. Is that right? :grin:

Will any old Mini Display Port adapter work with the Surface given the slanted surface that the port is on?

EDIT: Never mind - I found this thread linking to one that works. :smile:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...playport/e38e294d-8955-4484-81d9-f46f0145285d

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
correct. The only difference is that the plug won't fit (LOOKS ONLY) perfectly with the angle of the device, and not look as nice overall. If you care about a matching looks, they yea, any adapter or cable for mini-DisplayPort will do perfectly. :D

Feel free to return that wrong adapter that you got.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I'll look at those. I think I'll also check at WalMart here in a bit - as we were getting home, my wife remembered that we need to go pick up an Rx.

I've had a time with this already. Went to the Microsoft Store specifically for a case and the video cable. They had a case I liked, but I'm not willing to drop $50 on a neoprene sleeve. I picked up the HDMI video adapter. Then I looked at Costco (no cases at all), Target, Staples (where I bought the one that I ended up returning after we ate), and OfficeMax. All a bust. Even looking for iPad cases to use.

Then I got home, and figured out that the video cable I bought is NOT for the Pro or the Pro 2. Seriously?? Come on, Microsoft! Ever heard of standardizing? And what about the Softie that was helping me in the store? He could have told me I had the wrong one. Or when I said Surface, he could have clarified it. That wouldn't be so bad, but the Microsoft Store is an hour away when there's no traffic. Unless I want to wait until next Saturday and go back then, I'll have to fight traffic after work, though at least if I'm going from work, I'd be halfway there.... GRRR!!!

So I guess when we go get our Rx later, I'll look at WalMart, and otherwise I'll look at the cases you've suggested, and Amazon.

But aside from that and the touchpad on the Type Cover 2, I really love this PC.

And here's your picture. Me, kicked back in my Ikea chair with my SP2. :grin:
View attachment 56001

Sorry about the video cable! Yeah, the video cable for the Pro versions are different than the RT vesions. But I'm glad you like the SP2, and nice picture!

Sent NOT from my iPad using Tapatalk

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
And also hopmedic, the incipio sleeve I got from Microsoft was only around $18...

I looked it up. I read the reviews, and it sounds like kind of a snug fit, if you try to stick the power supply in there, so I went with something a bit bigger. I wanted to be able to drag the power cable in case I felt like I was going to need it. Thanks for the feedback, though. I appreciate it.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I looked it up. I read the reviews, and it sounds like kind of a snug fit, if you try to stick the power supply in there, so I went with something a bit bigger. I wanted to be able to drag the power cable in case I felt like I was going to need it. Thanks for the feedback, though. I appreciate it.

Ah, I see. If I'm going on a trip or something, I put the power supply in a suitcase, and the surface in the sleeeve. But if I'm just taking it for the day somewhere, my average use gets me far enough, so I don't bring the power supply. I'm glad you like the case you got though. Hope it suits your needs well!

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I forgot if I mentioned this, but if you plan to use the pen a lot, get a screen protector if you have not already.
The screen isn't scratch proof. It's glass... well it's tempered glass which is actually really easy to scratch, but it's gorilla glass 2, which is supposed to bring the tempered glass back as strong as normal glass. But glass is not scratch proof. It will scratch. Maybe with newly released Gorilla Glass 3 (possibly with the next generation of Surface), it would be stronger to a point where we would not care about it, but so far, I suggest to get one.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I forgot if I mentioned this, but if you plan to use the pen a lot, get a screen protector if you have not already.
The screen isn't scratch proof. It's glass... well it's tempered glass which is actually really easy to scratch, but it's gorilla glass 2, which is supposed to bring the tempered glass back as strong as normal glass. But glass is not scratch proof. It will scratch. Maybe with newly released Gorilla Glass 3 (possibly with the next generation of Surface), it would be stronger to a point where we would not care about it, but so far, I suggest to get one.
Thanks for the tip. I'm planning on getting a screen protector when I run down to the Microsoft Store to return the "wrong" display adapter. I was planning to do that tomorrow, after work, but at this point I'm not sure if I'll be going to work or not. I was in the ER Sunday morning with a kidney stone, so now I'm sitting here in a Percocet-induced fog.... But yes, I'm going to get a screen protector. Figured I'd buy it there, since I'll be there anyway, and they can put it on better than I can (and replace it if they screw it up). :wink:

millerliteboy

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just got a 64GB yesterday as a gift from my wife! (I had always told her if I ever bought one I couldn't justify the 400 for extra drive space and ram for the 256GB and the 128GB was out of stock.)

What to do first...? Well second I already removed the recovery drive. :smile:

Last edited:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hai, even i got my Surface Pro 2 today in India,128 Gb one and 1.9ghz but my cousins little daughter scratched its back.

It's inevitable. While the magnesium case feels wonderful and looks incredible, but damn is it easy to scratch. Expect plenty more scratches, my friend. They're practically unavoidable. Thankfully, they fade with time, but are still ever present.

Unfortunate, but it comes with the territory.

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
How to check battery info in SP2 powercfg thing i have searched for it in charms but didn't get any result help me

Thanks��

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It's inevitable. While the magnesium case feels wonderful and looks incredible, but damn is it easy to scratch. Expect plenty more scratches, my friend. They're practically unavoidable. Thankfully, they fade with time, but are still ever present.

Unfortunate, but it comes with the territory.

Thank god I'm not alone on this one!! I put my tablet back down on a desk at school, and then slid it across to put it in my bag and it earned a nice big, thin scratch line down the back. Thankfully it does fade a little

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I always put my Surface down where the keyboard is on the table.
I got used to magnesium body with my previous system. I didn't even put a peace of paper on it.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I got one... So much nicer than my SP1. I got a 128gb brand new. My SP1 was a second hand Craig's list deal. Its much nicer knowing I am the only one to use the device. I got mine Thursday it only took about 15 minutes to set up with all my apps and start using it. That's so nice to have all my stuff right there in minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs