The Official "I got a Surface Pro 2" Thread

s0briquet

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone here ordered a Surface pro 2 after MS updated the date of delivery to december 15? If yes, how is the accuracy of that date holding up? Any info?

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Not seen the likes before? LOL, no. Surface is not new or original, but better and tighter. I've had a Samsung Series 7 Slate for the last two+ years. Nearly identical, except for the covers, which I don't need anyway. LOVED that thing.

Sadly, it's end came this week.

Now have a SP2@256GB! Woohoo!

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine today. I'm impressed so far. But things are a little out of wack. I'll report more after more use.

Where's the WPC app? And geez these apps/games are expensive.

lgdlman

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone end up also getting Office loaded up? Need to be able to use for work as well. My home tower is old timey Vista.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone end up also getting Office loaded up? Need to be able to use for work as well. My home tower is old timey Vista.

I did. I have Office 365 university and I had an extra install. Works great except they're desktop apps since I would prefer metro on a small screen.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't really mind the price, just wish the tablet apps would also work in my phone, like android

Yeah, it's annoying how my phone has more (and better apps) than my tablet which seemingly beholds so much power that the gods themselves inhabit its insides. Thankfully, Store unification is supposedly only a few months off, so not too long now! And if Taptitude is any kind of base, using Windows Phone apps on Windows 8 won't look none too shabby.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Picked up thus the 128GB model today and got it running before a 2 hour bus trip. Been using it for a while now and it is really an amazing hybrid with the type cover. Like the Lumina 920, the weight issue is ridiculously overblown as well. Sure, it is heavier than the usual plastic 10 inch tablet, but the balance is very good, and the kickstand allows me to offload the weight a lot of the time when I would otherwise have top support it with my hands. It also works surprisingly well to just fold back the keyboard, which is a major advantage compared to transformer style of the Asus tablets. They got their own advantages, but to avoid the hassle of docking it all the time if you switch between laptop and tablet mode is certainly an advantage.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Picked up thus the 128GB model today and got it running before a 2 hour bus trip. Been using it for a while now and it is really an amazing hybrid with the type cover. Like the Lumina 920, the weight issue is ridiculously overblown as well. Sure, it is heavier than the usual plastic 10 inch tablet, but the balance is very good, and the kickstand allows me to offload the weight a lot of the time when I would otherwise have top support it with my hands. It also works surprisingly well to just fold back the keyboard, which is a major advantage compared to transformer style of the Asus tablets. They got their own advantages, but to avoid the hassle of docking it all the time if you switch between laptop and tablet mode is certainly an advantage.

Yeah, agree totally. Considering the Pro model harnesses the full power of a laptop (hell, it's so powerful, it makes most other consumer laptops go home and cry), it's actually rather slim and trim. Even the Macbook Air (praised for how thin and light it is), still comes it at .38 pounds heavier than the Surface.

And as you said, Microsoft balanced the weight very well, so it's not as fat as one would think. And again, as you said, the kickstand really helps, because you can often just use the kickstand when you would otherwise have to hold any other tablet. And I've personally found that holding it directly in the middle, not bad at all, and I can hold it for a long time no problem. Holding from the sides? Ok, it shows it heft there, but from the middle, very nicely balanced.

And yeah, the keyboards are great is how easily you can flip the back an forth, so effortless. And those strong magnets do a great job of holding the keyboards in place.

Love my Surface Pro 2, it's so versatile and excellent!

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I got a Surface Pro 2 64GB two weeks ago! ... because they didn't have the 128GB. Went back today, and they sold out again! They has them in stock on Thursday. Both happy that it is selling well, and sad that I still have to wait for my swap.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for a week and just accidentally discovered that the magnetic power cord and the surface pen's right-click button are the same size for a reason. It clips to the side! That's actually a really cool touch, and saved me shelling out for a new case with a pocket.

And the battery life is so long I don't even carry the cord around. I bought an extra so I have one at work and one at home always plugged in, and I'm never not at one location or the other long enough to need to carry a cord. It's so much nicer than my Samsung slate from 2 years ago. It's all the little touches that add up to a much nicer experience, hardware capabilities aside.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
There are certainly some nice touches with the design which show that it is a premium device, the power cord and the pens magnetic connectors are some examples, but a few other examples are the volume buttons and the power button which have surprisingly nice tactile feedback compared to some other tablets I have seen. This might be details, but they all add up in the end. The automatic backlight on the covers is also brilliant, the Touch cover 2 is probably very nice as well but I personally want a real keyboard.

Thus far, I am pretty much using it the same way as I used many previous last gen atom tablet which weighs the same as the surface 2, that is 680g, and the kickstand has decreased the amount of times that I am actually having to support the weight of the tablet. Battery life thus far seems perfectly ok and 8 to 10 hours seems realistic at the moment depending on the brightness and the load, but no matter what, we are finally into the territory of diminishing returns with the battery life here and certainly competitive with some ARM tablets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa