The Official "I got a Surface Pro 2" Thread

pandarock32

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I got a surface pro 2 - and am returning it as soon as possible. I love the design, the screen, the UI, but the thing is plagued with bugs. My type cover 2 is forever turning off, when I press the standby button it crashes the computer, and it frequently shuts itself down for no reason, literally restarting when I simply press sleep, also it attracts scratches like crazy! I would swap it for another but my mom has the RT and hers didn't even recognize her type cover until she refreshed the computer (reinstalled windows) and when she used windows update it shut off the keyboard again entirely, she now has to use a touch cover instead. For all this money I want something that works, not a pc that shuts off the keyboard when we are making notes in class, leading to me reconnecting the cover multiple times with everyone commenting on how bad it is. I am now inclined to believe them after trying with it for just under a month. If it worked, I'd love it, but I can't wait for Microsoft to iron out the bugs, they've had months to do that already. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have got all updates

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I got a surface pro 2 - and am returning it as soon as possible. I love the design, the screen, the UI, but the thing is plagued with bugs. My type cover 2 is forever turning off, when I press the standby button it crashes the computer, and it frequently shuts itself down for no reason, literally restarting when I simply press sleep, also it attracts scratches like crazy! I would swap it for another but my mom has the RT and hers didn't even recognize her type cover until she refreshed the computer (reinstalled windows) and when she used windows update it shut off the keyboard again entirely, she now has to use a touch cover instead. For all this money I want something that works, not a pc that shuts off the keyboard when we are making notes in class, leading to me reconnecting the cover multiple times with everyone commenting on how bad it is. I am now inclined to believe them after trying with it for just under a month. If it worked, I'd love it, but I can't wait for Microsoft to iron out the bugs, they've had months to do that already. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have got all updates

Strange I don't have these issues. I have the Type Cover 2.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, FedEx hasn't updated the status of my PC since Monday when it left Houston. All this snow we got here in Atlantarctica locked everything up, so I probably won't see it until Friday at the earliest, is my guess.

Thank God, though, for truck drivers who deliver stuff to us - may they be safe out there.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, FedEx hasn't updated the status of my PC since Monday when it left Houston. All this snow we got here in Atlantarctica locked everything up, so I probably won't see it until Friday at the earliest, is my guess.

Thank God, though, for truck drivers who deliver stuff to us - may they be safe out there.

Atlantarctica? :shocked:

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You guys see a few snow flakes and freakout and school are closed
Here, in Canada, you open the door, it's half way filled with snow, and people arrive on time for work, schools are open, like a nice summer day.. almost :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You guys see a few snow flakes and freakout and school are closed
Here, in Canada, you open the door, it's half way filled with snow, and people arrive on time for work, schools are open, like a nice summer day.. almost :)

But you have plows and salt, right? You're two up on us down here.

Don't get me wrong - I grew up five miles from Lake Michigan, and lived most of my adult life in the Midwest. I can drive in it all day long. But the majority of people around here can't, and they're the ones you have to watch out for.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
But you have plows and salt, right? You're two up on us down here.

Don't get me wrong - I grew up five miles from Lake Michigan, and lived most of my adult life in the Midwest. I can drive in it all day long. But the majority of people around here can't, and they're the ones you have to watch out for.

It was a joke... making fun of the mail carrier not showing up for your mail.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No worries... But the mail carrier did show up both days. It was the FedEx guy who failed to show.

So tonight I kept checking the Package Tracker app on my phone, and all of a sudden the expected delivery date of today disappeared. I went to FedEx.com, and it had changed to N/A! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! My Surface sat on a truck riding around all day, behaving itself, and now apparently it was going to go back to the shop for the night????

But a half an hour later, at almost 8:30 pm, it showed up.

YAY!!!
:grincry:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok. When I get home, I'll try to remember. :grin:

What cases are you guys using? I bought a Swiss Gear iPad case, but didn't realize until I was walking out of Staples that it rang up for $42 total, when I grabbed it off the shelf where the tag said $24.95. At almost $20 more than I thought I was paying, I'm thinking of taking it back.

I'd like something that fits well, a little loose is better than a little tight, I like neoprene, and want a handle and a pouch that will carry the power supply and an Arc Touch Mouse. I like the idea of loose, because I want a power cover when they come out - then definitely wouldn't need power cord.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok. When I get home, I'll try to remember. :grin:

What cases are you guys using? I bought a Swiss Gear iPad case, but didn't realize until I was walking out of Staples that it rang up for $42 total, when I grabbed it off the shelf where the tag said $24.95. At almost $20 more than I thought I was paying, I'm thinking of taking it back.

I'd like something that fits well, a little loose is better than a little tight, I like neoprene, and want a handle and a pouch that will carry the power supply and an Arc Touch Mouse. I like the idea of loose, because I want a power cover when they come out - then definitely wouldn't need power cord.

I use the incipio sleeve for mine. It doesn't really fit the power supply, but it fits my surface, pen, type cover, and arc touch mouse.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought this:
Init 10" Neoprene Tablet/Netbook Sleeve (NT-NB974) - Black : Laptop Sleeves - Future Shop
Despite saying 10inch, the Surface Pro 2 fits perfectly fine with the typecover 2, with a bit of more room. I could put the pen with it inside on teh side.. but not.. I am afraid that it removes itself form the magnets and scratch the device during transport in my school bag. A bit too close to the metal zippers, so to not a chance of scratch my device by accident when zipping and unzipping, I glues some soft pad in the inner of the zip. It does not interfere with the function of the zip, and when hit, even on purpose, won't scratch.

You can see that the sleeve was done for cheapo netbooks, with an extended battery on the back, and well thicker. I am sure, if I get the Power Cover, it will fit fine, still. This is all thanks that the Surface Pro 2 is so small, compared to a cheapo netbook.

I got this, because that was the only thing I could find. It's OK in term of quality. does the job, smooth inside and covers a bit that you have an expensive device inside. I did not want those book casing as they break the main purpose of the Surface Pro 2 for me... putting it flat and write with the pen. And most, don't allow the 2 angle adjustments, and the straps looks like it will scratch in some fashion the device.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I'll look at those. I think I'll also check at WalMart here in a bit - as we were getting home, my wife remembered that we need to go pick up an Rx.

I've had a time with this already. Went to the Microsoft Store specifically for a case and the video cable. They had a case I liked, but I'm not willing to drop $50 on a neoprene sleeve. I picked up the HDMI video adapter. Then I looked at Costco (no cases at all), Target, Staples (where I bought the one that I ended up returning after we ate), and OfficeMax. All a bust. Even looking for iPad cases to use.

Then I got home, and figured out that the video cable I bought is NOT for the Pro or the Pro 2. Seriously?? Come on, Microsoft! Ever heard of standardizing? And what about the Softie that was helping me in the store? He could have told me I had the wrong one. Or when I said Surface, he could have clarified it. That wouldn't be so bad, but the Microsoft Store is an hour away when there's no traffic. Unless I want to wait until next Saturday and go back then, I'll have to fight traffic after work, though at least if I'm going from work, I'd be halfway there.... GRRR!!!

So I guess when we go get our Rx later, I'll look at WalMart, and otherwise I'll look at the cases you've suggested, and Amazon.

But aside from that and the touchpad on the Type Cover 2, I really love this PC.

And here's your picture. Me, kicked back in my Ikea chair with my SP2. :grin:
WP_20140201_003.jpg

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The neopreme sleeve are 50$? What a rip! I found them at 15$ on the web. The only reason that I paid 25$ for it, is:
1) I am in Canada, and everything cost more, even things made in Canada by Canadian companies cost more in Canada than in the U.S.
2) I needed it, NOW. As University started, and my 5 year laptop could not be continued to be used.

As for the adapter. The Surface Pro 1 and Pro 2 uses mini-DisplayPort. This is a standard connector part of the DisplayPort group DisplayPort | High Performance Digital Technology.
That is currently the best video connector you can possibly get. It is so ahead, that graphic card are catching up to it. Just recently Nvidia and AMD support the almost the full functionality of DisplayPort 1.2. You are suppose to be able to plug 4 (yes, 4!) monitor in daisy chain, and operate 4K resolution display, at 60Hz, at 10-bit colors (1.07 billion colors).

The Surface 1 and 2 (non-Pro) has mini-HDMI, as this is what the Nvidia Tegra chip inside (on both) supports, as this is what most OEMs wants to equip their tablets for. As these other tablets are entertainment focus and not work focused like the Surface Pro is. So does not support DisplayPort.. maybe the next Tegra chip.

Advantages of DisplayPort.
-> Supports more plug in's and out's than any other video connector around (HDMI, VGA and DVI), before breakage.
-> Consumes less power than any other video connector.
-> Carries error correcting bits like DVI, but unlike HDMI, to ensure that every frame displayed on your screen is perfect.
-> Can daisy chain multiple monitors together:
Display-Res-Photo-300x101.jpg

-> Internal laptop and tablet connector version exists for ultra low voltage operation, helping increase mobile devices battery life.
-> Support longer cable than DVI, and HDMI
-> Support the highest resolution by a long shot (4K 60Hz 10-bit colors. Dual-link DVI is limited to 2560x1600 at 8-bit colors. As for HDMI 1.4: 4K 30Hz 8-bit only)
-> Easier to produce cables, and connector making them inexpensive for the consumer
-> Holds better, and the full version of DisplayPort, has a latch system
-> Support encryption to support HDCP content (Blu-ray)
-> Carries audio and video, and can also carry an auxiliary source like USB or Ethernet (not implement by any graphic card manufacture, so not in use anywhere yet. Just audio and video together)
-> Royalty free. Means cheaper monitor, cables and devices for the consumer. HDMI royalty fees are sky high, that is why you see mostly old HDMI version in products, even on a new ones, as it cost too much.
-> Backward compatible with a simple inexpensive adapter down to: HDMI or single link DVI, or VGA with an active adapter.

HDMI was made for the TV space. And the only reason it was made, was to support copy protection system which was said to eliminate movie piracy forever... (yea we all know how that turned out). The only reason why it got support, was that it got big financial support from the movie industry. Sony wanted to make money out of a propriety connector (they love propriety stuff), and well.. if you join in, you get to pay no royalty fees. You don't... prepare to pay... a lot.

DisplayPort has over 200 technology company that supports it. Dell, Apple, Lenovo, HP, and NEC are the biggest computer manufacture that supports it.

DisplayPort is also hard at work for 2.0 which is set to support 8K displays Yes, 8K already. No release date known, or even approximate time. It is still in R&D sages, but it is their goal.

So, in conclusion, using DisplayPort is simply the best option. If the Tegra processor support DisplayPort, than the Surface non-Pro would have it.

The majority of buisness class systems uses DisplayPort, and now it is entering the consumer market at a slow paste, but it is coming in, replacing HDMI. It will take time, as the consumer wants HDMI, ignoring the fact that the cable would be cheaper, and that they can get an adapter for it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05