What programs is the Pen useful with?

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I've used it with MS Word, PDF (comments and filling up forms), Paint, One Note, and believe it or not, even in the email client. I am sure there are a few more... but by far these are the ones I've used the pen with.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Mainly art stuff, like Flash.

That said, I've found it oddly useful in games made by Telltale, particularly the Tales of Monkey Island. Go figure.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
With my original SP and now my SP2 I use it everyday taking notes in OneNote. I also use it in Outlook 2013 to handwritten emails when sitting in an airport lounge or office lobby and don't want to be typing about on a keyboard. People flip out when they get an email from me in my handwriting asking me what crazy font I'm using LOL :)

calebcre

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When using it for one note, does it convert your writing or let it stay as is? Is there any problem with formatting? This is why I would want the stylus most, but I have not really seen it at work.

freshfelicio

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
First, OneNote. It is amazing what the program can do with that handwriting.
Second, Windows. For everything that doesnt have a ribbon interface and relies on context menus you better go with the pen because it is more accurate and you can "hover" with the cursor, while using context menus with the finger is always a shot in the dark.
Third, FreshPaint app. Works very well.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Photoshop does work, but the controls in Photoshop are small and you always have to switch tools, and overall Photoshop just isnt made for tablets. So better not build on using ?Photoshop with it. But you can connect a bigger monitor and dublicate the screen and then use it as a Wacom tablet, that works pretty well.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Used it for adding some notes in PDF files in scientific articles today, which is one of the primary reasons for getting the Surface Pro 2 for me instead of the RT version. Almost as convenient as doing it on paper but I don't have to print it, and it can then be printed or shared very easily. OneNote could be useful and sometimes in cramped places where you can't use the keyboard and have to hold it , the pen works as both a pointing device and as a basic method of text input for most programs.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to disappoint you, but Photoshop does work, but the controls in Photoshop are small and you always have to switch tools, and overall Photoshop just isnt made for tablets. So better not build on using ?Photoshop with it. But you can connect a bigger monitor and dublicate the screen and then use it as a Wacom tablet, that works pretty well.

I sat with Photoshop yesterday for a while. If you do something where you have to use the same tool in the same area for a long time (like removing a million specs of dust in an old photo) then it really isn't as bad as I had feared. Lack of keyboard shortcuts while I had it flat on my lap using only the screen was really more of a problem than tiny icons. But maybe I can try and find a comfortable position with the keyboard attached as well. The only point for me in usning a Surface for this is if I can work while lounging in a sofa somewhere or in bed. Otherwise I do have a desktop computer.

As for the miniature tool icons, there was a sort of fix for that which I now cannot find, involving a registry patch on how big the palettes and icons are displayed. Basically forcing them to a smaller resolution than the image you are working on. I have to look for that and read it again.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Lack of keyboard shortcuts while I had it flat on my lap using only the screen was really more of a problem than tiny icons.
I know what you mean. Consider a portable Bluetooth keyboard that you can put on your lap.

As far as the OP I use the pen with Sketchbook Pro, Corel Painter, and occasionally Word for mark ups. SBP is just about a perfect implementation of a stylus oriented interface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb