Surface Pro 2 USB 3.0 - Getting USB 2.0 File Transfer Speeds - ANYONE ELSE???

panman91

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
So I just received my Surface Pro 2 (128gb model) yesterday and one of the things I loved about the original Surface Pro was the fact that it had a USB 3.0 port.
I was able to reach file transfer speeds of up to 115mb/s peak with ~85mb/s sustained transfer rates. But after receiving the '2' yesterday I noticed that I was only able to max out at ~40mb/s.
I have also tried testing this with multiple drives and I keep getting the same speeds. A friend of mine bought a 256gb model and is topping out at only 50mb/s.
Is anyone else having the same issue and do you all think that this has to do with a driver problem?
I would like to see what kind of results you guys are getting.
Please post your speeds and thoughts on how we can resolve this issue.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Sorry friend, I don't own anything with USB 3 except for my Surface, and a 4-port USB 3.0 hub I bought in anticipation of my Surface (even though I don't own anything yet with 3.0, just wanted to "future proof" myself).

rlatarche

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
With my external USB3 drive plugged directly into my SP2 the transfer rate jump to 30/40mbs then plummets to nothing for 20-30 seconds comes briefly back up to 20-30mbs and does this the whole time. Same drive on SP1 sticks at 100mbs so i know its not the drive its the SP2. If this is happening with someone else, does make me think software issue. I have screen shots however this forum will not let me upload photos, no matter what browser i use.

phrozenghost

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
With my external USB3 drive plugged directly into my SP2 the transfer rate jump to 30/40mbs then plummets to nothing for 20-30 seconds comes briefly back up to 20-30mbs and does this the whole time. Same drive on SP1 sticks at 100mbs so i know its not the drive its the SP2. If this is happening with someone else, does make me think software issue. I have screen shots however this forum will not let me upload photos, no matter what browser i use.
upload to photobucket or imageshack then link the picture

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I finally decided to test this by transferring pictures from my DSLR's SD card, using a SD->USB adapter. I was getting transfer speeds of 100mb/s, so this transfer speed issue may not be very widespread.

phrozenghost

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I finally decided to test this by transferring pictures from my DSLR's SD card, using a SD->USB adapter. I was getting transfer speeds of 100mb/s, so this transfer speed issue may not be very widespread.

Yeah, had no issues with my external hard drive either, sounds like a driver issue.

panman91

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a new Surface Pro 2 this evening from Best Buy and I was able to get back the file transfer speeds I had originally had with the original surface pro. It appears that the usb port on the one shipped to me from MSFT was defective. When I inserted the USB cable all the way into USB port it would keep connecting and disconnecting the usb drive almost instantly. Only when I would pull the plug out just a tad would it stay connected and at that point I realized that it would only read the drive as a USB 2.0 device. After much fiddling with the cable I was finally able to get the drive to be recognized as a USB 3.0 device but it was not reliable at all and would lose its connection. I am in the process of returning that unit and keeping the one from Bestbuy.
On a side note, my docking station arrived today and I love the simplicity and factory fit and finish that it brings to the table but sad that the ethernet jack only supports 10/100 connections and not gigabit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers