Current Issues with Surface Pro 2

Bremen Cole

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Looking forward to that trackpad update. Scares me though that they never noticed how unresponsive the trakpad is until you took one into a store.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
If you want Microsoft attention, e-mail: DefragShow@Microsoft.com.
It's a show at Microsoft 9Chanel where you have a tech guy who will help you out, but any bugs, he will say if it's known to them or how to fix it, if there is a fix, or add it to the list.
Of course, also contact Microsoft Answers section make a thread there. Microsoft doesn't roam the web.. things posted here, Microsoft won't know, and if no one complains, then don't expect any fix.

Once, XBox Music service in Canada was down... waited 1 week, still nothing. I had to contact them, to get attention and they were shocked, confirmed the issue, and wrote a report, went at Microsoft Answers, posted there, got some attention, posted on where other people posted about it... and now it got fixed.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone elses Skydrive account randomly disconnect and not allow to reconnect? Get an error to check account in PC Settings, when everything looks fine...requires me to restart my Pro 2.

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I also have another issue, which is that some times, when i touch slowly the screen to scroll, it scrolls really fast as if i flicked it. I have noticed a pattern, like, of it happens more in some app than others. But it happens frequently, quite annoying. Anyone has experienced this too?

Lumia 920

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

If hou have some drivers issue with your surface pro 2 after reset it, like ''unknown device'' in device manager, or old drivers version even after the windows update, try this

1. RESET SURFACE PRO 2 back to factory default, Do a RESET not a REFRESH and then log back in with your live or local account. DO NOT PERFORM WINDOWS UPDATES!

2. Download the October driver pack from microsoft and exact to a folder on your hard drive. https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fdow&token=RX7QO7vk [...] x?id=40856

3. Create a text file in the top level root folder of the extracted driver pack with the following script. Make sure to rename this file with a .PS1 extension and not .TXT

$ScriptPath = Split-Path -parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition

$files = get-childitem -path $Scriptpath -recurse -filter *.inf

foreach ($file in $files)

{

Write-host "Injecting driver $file"

pnputil -i -a $file.FullName

}

4. Open powershell as admin(right click and choose to launch powershell as administrator

5. Run the command: set-executionpolicy UNRESTRICTED and say Y to confirm. This will allow you to run the unsigned powershell script you created. If you want to lock this back down later you can run set-executionpolicy RESTRICTED after you run the script in step 6.

6. In the admin powershell window navigate to C:\FOLDERWITHDRIVERUPDATES\ by using the CD command

7. Run ./Scriptyoucreated.ps1 make sure to have the ./ before the name of the script file. You will see it begin to install all of the drivers in the driver pack.

8. When it is done, reboot and perform all windows updates.

9. All fixed! No more unknown device.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone elses Skydrive account randomly disconnect and not allow to reconnect? Get an error to check account in PC Settings, when everything looks fine...requires me to restart my Pro 2.

Man, this is happening more and more frequently now...very frustrating. its not like 1/10 attempts, its at least 50% of the time, a reboot usually fixes the issue. No connectivity problems with Skydrive on my iPhone or via browser...just using the Skydrive Metro app.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Man, this is happening more and more frequently now...very frustrating. its not like 1/10 attempts, its at least 50% of the time, a reboot usually fixes the issue. No connectivity problems with Skydrive on my iPhone or via browser...just using the Skydrive Metro app.

How about not using the Metro app, and using the desktop.
I recall having a lot of problem with 8.1 Beta with SkyDrive Metro app, on my laptop and desktop.

I don't have a SP2 yet to test.

Just an idea of a possible fix. How about uninstall the Modern UI app and re-install it.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
How about not using the Metro app, and using the desktop.
I recall having a lot of problem with 8.1 Beta with SkyDrive Metro app, on my laptop and desktop.

I don't have a SP2 yet to test.

Just an idea of a possible fix. How about uninstall the Modern UI app and re-install it.

Ya, its just frustrating since the Metro App is easier and right there. Its possible the problem is tied to me removing the 2 step authentication from the account.

username55

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine is buggier by the day :(((
Even just to type this reply I had to tap the text box 40 times. Each time the keyboard pops up for one second them disappears. Finally I managed to hit a key before it disappeared and it stayed.

I wanted this to be what it could have been so bad. But its just too buggy and the pen is forever too inaccurate for my doodles. Can't reliably trace a line.

Its like they didn't even have a test phase. This could have been such a game changer in my field of work but they blew it. Every time I try to show it off for co workers it bugs out. Photoshop crashes 50 percent of the time upon opening. This seems likes some half baked Taiwanese product

Ie metro is a joke. Swipe to go back reliably breaks in 10 mins or less of browsing. I maybe get 1.5 hours battery life browsing the web now. Such an immense let down

bluetroll

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine is buggier by the day :(((
Even just to type this reply I had to tap the text box 40 times. Each time the keyboard pops up for one second them disappears. Finally I managed to hit a key before it disappeared and it stayed.

I wanted this to be what it could have been so bad. But its just too buggy and the pen is forever too inaccurate for my doodles. Can't reliably trace a line.

Its like they didn't even have a test phase. This could have been such a game changer in my field of work but they blew it. Every time I try to show it off for co workers it bugs out. Photoshop crashes 50 percent of the time upon opening. This seems likes some half baked Taiwanese product

Ie metro is a joke. Swipe to go back reliably breaks in 10 mins or less of browsing. I maybe get 1.5 hours battery life browsing the web now. Such an immense let down

wow, that's some terrrible luck.

if you battery is draining quick, you might have a rogue app that is eating it up!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

If hou have some drivers issue with your surface pro 2 after reset it, like ''unknown device'' in device manager, or old drivers version even after the windows update, try this

Ended up returning a Surface Pro 2 due to driver errors that even the Microsoft Store people could not resolve. That appears to be what they tried as their last ditch effort but it was still stuck with unknown device and unending issues with the type cover. The first two people at the answer desk who looked at it were clueless but the third certainly seemed to be familiar with the issue but could not manage to resolve. Quite disappointing for a $1300 device. No point in keeping if it could only occasionally see the type cover and would try to find devices every time it woke from hibernation, so it had to go back.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Ended up returning a Surface Pro 2 due to driver errors that even the Microsoft Store people could not resolve. That appears to be what they tried as their last ditch effort but it was still stuck with unknown device and unending issues with the type cover. The first two people at the answer desk who looked at it were clueless but the third certainly seemed to be familiar with the issue but could not manage to resolve. Quite disappointing for a $1300 device. No point in keeping if it could only occasionally see the type cover and would try to find devices every time it woke from hibernation, so it had to go back.

That's too bad, they didn't let you exchange it for a different one? Did you try refreshing the device before returning it? A real shame the Surface venture didn't fair well for you, I love mine to bits! Well, happy trails wherever your next tech purchase takes you. :)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's too bad, they didn't let you exchange it for a different one? Did you try refreshing the device before returning it? A real shame the Surface venture didn't fair well for you, I love mine to bits! Well, happy trails wherever your next tech purchase takes you. :)

Actually it was just out of stock so I could either keep a non-functional Surface Pro 2 or return it and wait for new stock. I had no complaints about the store staff. Granted the first two people were not very helpful but they were clearly new. One of them though grabbed the third person who just as clearly understood the problem. He just could not resolve the issue and acknowledged it was almost certainly a corrupt driver image. Perhaps the most disappointing thing was simply the fact they did not have a flash drive behind the desk to wipe the recovery partition and do a clean reinstall.

As it turns out the new stock arrived late today so I already picked up a new one. Out of the box the new one still struggles a bit with the Type Cover and Device Manager shows a driver error for it, but everything else works fine. This time at least the residual issue is the trackpad is disabled (my preference) rather than it being on even when the cover was flipped back (one of the problems with the first tablet). The USB 3.0 port and SDXC slot also work at the same speed as my Surface Pro, whereas the first Surface Pro 2's ports were functioning at barely half that speed.

Chromeo_El_Lobo

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is an actual issue or not, but I can't seem to watch many embedded YouTube videos on various websites. I assume this might just be a global thing with Flash?

Droidophobe

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a problem with left-clicking that I haven't seen described above (sorry if I just missed it somewhere). I've had my Pro2 x 3 weeks, and this problem seems to be getting more frequent with time.

When I'm using an online forum, Twitter, the Gmail website, etc, and I try to left click on something, frequently nothing happens. The link/command/button/etc sometimes highlights, but nothing else happens. This occurs with both the Type cover and the wedge mouse, as well as using the touchscreen. Then if I close the cover for 10 seconds, the left click function and touchscreen function are usually restored. Sometimes I have to restart though.

Is this a known bug? Or am I inadvertently inactivating the left click function somehow? Thanks for your help.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure why I bought this I already have an iPad for most uses. I guess I wanted more of the slick beauty of my Windows phone. So I was a bit surprised to find that the OS and apps all seem very unfinished. A lot more so than on the phone OS.

On the Windows phone most apps are either copies of good ones or slimmed down diet versions with less features than you know from your other platforms. On this Surface Pro 2, even more so. A great many settings simply don't work. Or maybe I'm too stupid to figure them out in only three days.

For instance I don't know the background to what I type now in OneNote is green, or why the fonts are so tiny even though I did set them larger, or why auto correct is underlining every word even though I did turn it off. Everything is like this. The keyboard sometimes auto hides and sometimes not in the Metro interface. And then you have the keyboard that you need to open and close from the taskbar in the classic interface.

New words are usually auto capped but not always. I've set my system to be in English and the keyboard to Norwegian (bought the Surface in Norway), yet parts of the operating system still appears in Norwegian. Why?

I've set notifications to be turnes off at night yet sometimes they still ring out. I've set login to not require a password yet after a day of demanding a password half of the times it has now started demanding it all the timer again. Can't even find how I managed to turn ot off the first time. This morning it wanted the password twice because the PC I was working on was "disconnected", apparently. Disconnected from what?

The possibility to have full desktop apps was another big temptation that won me over but if everything is this tiny in all applications and touch gestures don't Works for anything then can you really say that it is usable? It's like running a Windows emulator on a Mac. I was going to get Adobe CC for this but it seems a further waste. Having not used a Windows PC since 2000 it is somewhat shocking to see that it still looks the same and it still lets a simple Cnet software download install several bundled suspicious apps without asking me.

A lot of other features looked tempting but I haven't yet been able to get them to work. Perhaps they do but I don't know how. Not yet anyway. The handsfree page turning for the recipes app doesn't work more than once in a while. Hardly ever for flipping backwards at least. I watched a YouTube video praising it, hoping that I could pick up some tips. And even though the video guy said it was a great feature, what you actually saw was him waving his hand in front of his screen repeatedly, which resulted in an actual page turn once in a rare while.

Also I still haven't found those alternative suggested words while you type anywhere, that you can supposedly touch the keyboard to choose between.

God, everything is so cheesy! I can't even find a Solitaire game that doesn't look like something from the '90s. The email client insists on opening my Microsoft email account (I don't use Microsoft's mail) every time I launch the email client so I have to click on my own account below it every time. And links cannot be clicked in emails. And my cool retro text smileys are converted into cheesy MS ones. Small annoyances. But they add up.

The Type Keyboard 2 is quite good tho (except for the trackpad of course). There, I said something positive! There are of course other great things, like the pen for instance. Hopefully the experience will get better. :)

P.S. wpcentral's forum won't let me enter the textbox with the Surface Pro 2 unless the keyboard is attached.

P.P.S. Sorry about the length of this rant!

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I am quite pleased with my SP2, however I had my first major issue last night. The Firmware update (or other update downloaded at the same time) caused the connection between the keyboard (Type 2) and the SP2 to drop intermittently. Detaching and re-attaching the keyboard to the SP2 would activate the keyboard briefly then the screen would shut off and both devices would become unresponsive.

I spent 2 hours last night injecting the missing drivers into my USB restore image and restoring the device back to factory settings. The problem is gone, but the system has not been updated again. I plan to install each of the 22 updates individually today to see if I can determine the culprit. I'm hoping it is NOT the firmware update, but that remains to be seen. I'll keep you updated on what I find.

UPDATE 1: It appears the firmware screws up the Type 2 Keyboard Driver. I can't reinstall the Driver from a file as it gives me a Code 1 or Code 2 error. I can't uninstall the firmware, but I may be able to roll the OS back to just PRIOR to the firmware install.

~Ex

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo