Current Issues with Surface Pro 2

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I am quite pleased with my SP2, however I had my first major issue last night. The Firmware update (or other update downloaded at the same time) caused the connection between the keyboard (Type 2) and the SP2 to drop intermittently. Detaching and re-attaching the keyboard to the SP2 would activate the keyboard briefly then the screen would shut off and both devices would become unresponsive.

I spent 2 hours last night injecting the missing drivers into my USB restore image and restoring the device back to factory settings. The problem is gone, but the system has not been updated again. I plan to install each of the 22 updates individually today to see if I can determine the culprit. I'm hoping it is NOT the firmware update, but that remains to be seen. I'll keep you updated on what I find.

UPDATE 1: It appears the firmware screws up the Type 2 Keyboard Driver. I can't reinstall the Driver from a file as it gives me a Code 1 or Code 2 error. I can't uninstall the firmware, but I may be able to roll the OS back to just PRIOR to the firmware install.

~Ex

Interesting, because my Type Cover 2 has been working tremendously better since the updates. My one complaint is that, since the update, my average battery life has dropped from 8-10 hours to about 4-6 hours. I can get by, but it's extremely inconvenient to suddenly have my battery life drop drastically. Hopefully next Patch Tuesday will take care of this...

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, because my Type Cover 2 has been working tremendously better since the updates. My one complaint is that, since the update, my average battery life has dropped from 8-10 hours to about 4-6 hours. I can get by, but it's extremely inconvenient to suddenly have my battery life drop drastically. Hopefully next Patch Tuesday will take care of this...

It's a miss read of the battery circuit. Microsoft is looking into the issue, but there is a fix, apparently the following works:

1. Shut down.
2. Hold volume Up (+) button and power button for 15 sec. Surface logo may flash, but don't let go for 15 sec.
3. Let go of both buttons after 15sec.
4. Wait 10 secs.
5. Press power button to start up.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It's a miss read of the battery circuit. Microsoft is looking into the issue, but there is a fix, apparently the following works:

1. Shut down.
2. Hold volume Up (+) button and power button for 15 sec. Surface logo may flash, but don't let go for 15 sec.
3. Let go of both buttons after 15sec.
4. Wait 10 secs.
5. Press power button to start up.

Bit late to be asking, considering I just did it a matter of seconds ago, but how exactly, does this remedy the problem? Just curious.

Anyways, thanks, I'll keep an eye on my battery for the next few days and see if there's any improvement. Hope so, because my wonderful SP2 just becomes a $1000+ brick if it can't turn on...

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Bit late to be asking, considering I just did it a matter of seconds ago, but how exactly, does this remedy the problem? Just curious.
That is what was suggested by Microsoft. My guess is that it does a special action for the device to reset the battery sensor.

Anyways, thanks, I'll keep an eye on my battery for the next few days and see if there's any improvement. Hope so, because my wonderful SP2 just becomes a $1000+ brick if it can't turn on...
Well if your battery is faulty just call Microsoft for replacement.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Surface Pro 2 because I live far away from my compay. I have to spend an hour on the bus which is very boring. I like to view movies and videos so it is really great if I could enjoy them on the way. So, when I get the wages, I bought it.
At first, I was confusion that I can not play my Blu-ray movies, DVD movies and the videos I downloaded online. Then I googled online and found that Pavtube can solve my problem. When I downloaded the trail version, the fast conversion speed and output quality attracted me. The most important is that it solved my pronlem to view videos on my Surface 2.
I hope my experience can help the people who have the same problem as me before.

Oh there are a bit better and free ways for this.
First thing first, you need to get a codec pack to complete Windows 8 built-in ones. This will allow you to play all sorts of videos formats perfectly.
The tricky thing is finding a good one. Many still live in XP area, where it replaces Windows codecs and tend to break stuff up for it to work. Then when it comes to uninstall it for some reason you are left with a broken Windows experience in the video playback. Its sad that we are in 2013, and the group of people working on many of these codec packs, simply don't care. To be fair, however, I haven't tried the latest and greatest codec packs of these bad ones, to know if they FINALLY took 5 min to read Microsoft documentation on how to do thing properly. In any case, I recommend the awfully name: Shark007 codec pack. Its 1 person that handles it, and he does a pretty darn good job. Even comes with a fairly easy to use control panel in the case you want to change things. There is also a 64-bit add-on codec pack that you install after, and that will not only allow you to use Windows Media Player 12 64-bit properly with your videos, but also enjoy thumbnail preview on supported formats.
The codec pack is specifically designed for Windows 7 and 8.

Shark007: Standard Codecs for Windows 7 and Windows 8
64-bit add-on: Scroll at the bottom of the page. If you don't see it, here is a direct link: Download ADVANCED x64Components for Windows 7 and 8 - MajorGeeks

Now to get your blur-ray and DVD movies, check out MakeMKV (MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD).
Alternatively, (for DVD only), you can use DVDShrink to backup a DVD movie into an ISO file. Windows 8 can load ISO files by double clicking on them. All you need is the Media Center pack of Windows 8 Pro, to get the DVD codec for Media Center (sadly it doesn't work on Media Player, you have to use Media Center). While not great, it is better than spending ~100$+ on a DVD codec pack and use a crummy video player. Alternatively to that (and free), you can use VLC player.

Hope this helps.

I don't have a Surface Pro 2 yet (trying to buy it, but sold out everywhere), but I would also try some small indie games. Most indie games are very original and fun, and they are graphically simple, it should not make your device struggle. Indie games, for those that don't know, are games made and published by independent small studios. They usually have no publisher. They usually cost 5-15$ when not on special, and give you a much more fun and complete gaming experience that you simply cannot get from a smartphone game. Some are funny, some are puzzle focused, some are about adventure, or skill, there is everything. A breath of fresh air from the big publishers taking 0 chances and releasing the same game, over and over and over again, because that is what sell.

You can find them at Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/). A famous game store for PC, you simply buy and you download the game. Easy as making and eating an already made delicious apple pie.

If you are/used a gamer, and wish to play some good old games.. well you have GOG.com (Good Old Games), which is a small company, that goes to large length to bring back these old games by getting the original authors or publishers or current owner of the game and make it available. These old games are normally not playable on modern systems. But what they also do, is patch the game or do things to make it not only playable in today's system, but be sure to provide the same exact experience as the original game. If you have a trouble with a game, and their support team can't fix it, you get your money back. Games are mostly ranging from 5 to 15$ as well. Older games being cheaper, of course. Dig up an old classic, and enjoy!

Last edited:

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I am quite pleased with my SP2, however I had my first major issue last night. The Firmware update (or other update downloaded at the same time) caused the connection between the keyboard (Type 2) and the SP2 to drop intermittently. Detaching and re-attaching the keyboard to the SP2 would activate the keyboard briefly then the screen would shut off and both devices would become unresponsive.

I spent 2 hours last night injecting the missing drivers into my USB restore image and restoring the device back to factory settings. The problem is gone, but the system has not been updated again. I plan to install each of the 22 updates individually today to see if I can determine the culprit. I'm hoping it is NOT the firmware update, but that remains to be seen. I'll keep you updated on what I find.

UPDATE 1: It appears the firmware screws up the Type 2 Keyboard Driver. I can't reinstall the Driver from a file as it gives me a Code 1 or Code 2 error. I can't uninstall the firmware, but I may be able to roll the OS back to just PRIOR to the firmware install.

~Ex

UPDATE 2: I have installed everything except the firmware driver. I only have one persistent problem now and that is corruption of the background image (Desktop and Start Menu Wallpaper are matched) of the Start Menu when first booting the system up (from off). Once I go to the desktop, the problem is solved. My Type Cover 2 works flawlessly now and I have NO driver errors reported. I'd also like to note that MS pulled the December 10 Firmware update and will be re-issuing the update in January with the bugs worked out.

~Ex

Sean West

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue with streaming media over wifi and using bluetooth headphones at the same time as well. I have Parrot Zik bluetooth headphones I got as an early Christmas present which are bluetooth and noise cancelling. I never had trouble streaming anything before but when I started using them, YouTube, Netflix, Spotify and others all started having problems where they'd play about 30 seconds of audio/video then buffer for a long time and constantly cycle through that routine.

I didn't make the connection to the bluetooth headphones at first but the Parrot Zik have the option to use a wire instead of a bluetooth connection so I experimented by trying different sites and switching back and forth between wired and bluetooth. Sure enough, everything was great over the wire but unwatchable while using bluetooth audio.

The best explanation I've heard is that the wifi and bluetooth share a chipset/antenna and that they are interfering with each other because both won't work at the same time (i.e. wifi downloads sound then bluetooth sends it but while bluetooth is sending wifi speed slows to a crawl so the buffer empties and you get a stutter or pause, during the pause there's no sound so bluetooth loses precedence and wifi speed picks up, the buffer gets filled so bluetooth sends the sound but that kills the wifi speed... and on and on...)

My question is, is this a known issue for the Surface Pro 2 or do I have a defective unit?

Sean West

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think I finally found the answer to my own question. I have a dual-band WiFi router and by splitting it into two different network names I was able to force the Surface Pro 2 to connect to the 5GHz signal instead of the 2.4GHz default. This seems to have cleared up the conflict between the WiFi signal and the Bluetooth headphones and in testing so far I haven't had any buffering problems while streaming music and video. Of course, that's not going to work outside my own home so it would be nice to be able to set the network card on the Surface Pro 2 to default to 5GHz signals when they're available.

Stuart Drummond

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Surface Pro 2 on the 26th. While I really love this thing, I'm running into one annoying problem. Running the SP2 on Power Saver battery plan seems to cause an tremendous drop in system speed and performance. Even simply browsing the web causes several freezes to occur every minute or so. Has anyone else seen this? I'd like to get as much time with one battery charge and I'm rather disappointed this is unusable.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
While I don't have a Surface Pro 2 (just ordered it :)), this is normal, because you use a ultra low voltage CPU. Basically it's stuck at ~800MHz, and is well very slow. Much like if you play a demanding game on the system, the CPU will stay at full speed of ~2.6GHz, and your battery life will be significantly short... maybe 3-4h at most for such a device.

In the advance power plan settings of Power Saver, you can adjust the performance of the CPU min and max settings.

Another thing you can do, is try a different web browser. I know that, for a fact, Chrome doesn't like a slow system. Its very fast web browser, but on a slow system it's a pain, and eats battery life. Not a great web browser for mobile device.. at least the Windows version of Chrome. While Firefox, isn't as fast as Chrome, only close, but runs better on slower system, and more power efficient, a better choice to select between the two, for such processor when on Power Saver. I can't comment on IE, because the benchmark performance and power usage were not measured with Windows 8.1 specific IE version, so I have no definitive data on. But you can be judge.
Firefox Beta has a true Windows 8 App, much like IE. Sadly, for now it doesn't support Flash, despite the desktop version obviously can, only HTML5.

Other things you can try to save battery life, is if you use the desktop version of Media Player, use instead Media Player 64-bit over the 32-bit version.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think I finally found the answer to my own question. I have a dual-band WiFi router and by splitting it into two different network names I was able to force the Surface Pro 2 to connect to the 5GHz signal instead of the 2.4GHz default. This seems to have cleared up the conflict between the WiFi signal and the Bluetooth headphones and in testing so far I haven't had any buffering problems while streaming music and video. Of course, that's not going to work outside my own home so it would be nice to be able to set the network card on the Surface Pro 2 to default to 5GHz signals when they're available.

Sounds strange that solution. But it's great that you solved it! I just got a Bluetooth receiver yesterday which I plugged into my living room stereo. So all evening I was streaming music to the SP2 from Spotify through WiFi and through Bluetooth to the stereo. No hiccups or delays whatsoever. All of the music was online since I hadn't downloaded any playlists yet for offline listening.

The Surface even found and connected to my device immediately, which surprised me since it refuses to connect to my Windows 8 phone. In fact I've given up on that one. But Spotify was the important feature to get for me. I'll just leave the Bluetooth settings alone now and never touch them again.

lucy perry

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I brought the surface pro 2 less than 2 weeks ago and the pen has stopped working. i have done all the obvious answers such as restarting, turning it off and on, installing new updates and even calibrating which never worked as it completely does not work and the pen is not being registered. however touch is still working. Can anyone help with my situation as obvious i'm upset about this breaking so soon! thanks in advance

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The pen might be broken or the digitizer.
I would return the device. If you have a Microsoft Store near by, just bring the tablet itself, and they'll give you a new retail box. You'll end up with 2 pens and 2 charger. If not, return it where you purchase it, and order a new one. I recommend to do a return and buy again, and not an exchange to restart the return period in the case you have very bad luck and it also has a problem.

mazzitmo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
So glad to have found your post. I chose Microsoft because I didn't like the idea of Apple ruling the world and also wanting to support an underdog (being Microsoft - not sure if they're aware?).

The surface pro is very difficult to use. I bought one last may and have used it for some recordings (terrible camera) and internet browsing. Adjusting tables in Word is very tedious because the trackpad (?) is difficult to use (waaay to hard to click on the corner of a table). I have been using my 2009 DEC High School issue laptop for much more satisfactory use of MS Word and Excel. Typing is easy and the unit itself is as tough as a Kingswood. This Surface Pro is gonna smash for sure...my iPhone just did...(after that it didn't like my water bottle leaking on it...)

mazzitmo

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
My initial issue with the Surface, that drove me to this thread is that iTunes is difficult to coordinate with the Surface Pro..

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
iTunes is difficult to coordinate with ANY computer...worst program ever.

Amen... Apple is praised for making things easy to use, but I've always, always, ALWAYS loathed iTunes... It's trying to do too much at once, and does a poor job of it. Granted, that's an often cited complaint against Window 8, and while there is some credibility to it, at least Windows 8 looks nice. iTunes? Blegh, completely bland, stale and boring....

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Amen... Apple is praised for making things easy to use, but I've always, always, ALWAYS loathed iTunes... It's trying to do too much at once, and does a poor job of it. Granted, that's an often cited complaint against Window 8, and while there is some credibility to it, at least Windows 8 looks nice. iTunes? Blegh, completely bland, stale and boring....

The big problem, I find, is that while Windows 8 does that in some ways, it is at least fast and responsive. iTunes, at least on PC, feels like you need 50 super computers to run smoothly and in a responsive matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diane Cunhm