4RAM 128gb vs. 8RAM 256gb, Which do you prefer and why?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I'm looking at buying the Pro 2 as a device for school next year - ideally the cheaper the better because I'd have to buy office on top of that so I'm looking at 128GB/4GB or 256GB/8GB....however I'm not sure that 4GB is enough - I'm a design student so I'd be using the Adobe CS6 Master Collection on the Surface Pro 2. I currently run a desktop on a first-gen i5 w/ 4GB of RAM and on idle it's using 2GB out of 3.5GB (32-bit OS) anyone have any suggestions? Cheers

username55

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the 256 GB model and it runs adobe cc products without any slowdowns so far. Everything super snappy. Plus Maya and zbrush. Although Maya can stumble in poly edit mode for some reason I think its graphic related

PandaSPUR

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I'm looking at buying the Pro 2 as a device for school next year - ideally the cheaper the better because I'd have to buy office on top of that so I'm looking at 128GB/4GB or 256GB/8GB....however I'm not sure that 4GB is enough - I'm a design student so I'd be using the Adobe CS6 Master Collection on the Surface Pro 2. I currently run a desktop on a first-gen i5 w/ 4GB of RAM and on idle it's using 2GB out of 3.5GB (32-bit OS) anyone have any suggestions? Cheers

Just a quick note, you can get the full Office 2013 Pro suite for $10: Microsoft Home Use Program - Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013. The software suite includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, Access and more!

PandaSPUR

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but what's this about a program code or something? Also I think it only applies to those working for a business and I'm still at school....

Yea its a bit odd, but for me and my friends, we were able to just click the link that says "Don't Know Your Program Code? Click Here."
Then we enter our university email address (____@nyu.edu for example, was mine), and it worked.
So give that a try.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My 128 had 90+ gigs free, i deleted some bloat and had around 94.
And additionally, you can just pop in a 64 Gb micro SD card to boost this further and store media files and other content which does not really benefit by being stored on the high speed SSD.

I got the 128 Gb version in the end as I do not need the additional storage and RAM on a device of this type as I got other computers for the heavy lifting.It feels better to put it down in the bag when it is slightly more affordable as well...

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the 256 GB model and it runs adobe cc products without any slowdowns so far. Everything super snappy. Plus Maya and zbrush. Although Maya can stumble in poly edit mode for some reason I think its graphic related

Is the CC suite even usable on that tablet? 10" is quite small, and I've heard the high DPI mucks up a few programs like photoshop and Chrome....

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone running Revit and/or 3D Studio successfully? Which SurfacePro?

Edit: I purchased the 8GB with 256GB SSD version at the Microsoft Store last night. I had been trying for days, but the Store said that none were available. An email confirmed the purchase and said they would email again, when it shipped.

Last edited:

username55

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Is the CC suite even usable on that tablet? 10" is quite small, and I've heard the high DPI mucks up a few programs like photoshop and Chrome....

Its not so bad if you know the layout of the program already, I don't really need to read or hunt for things too much. Laying in bed there is no problem seeing text either. Can't recommend art dock enough either. I can navigate scenes and canvas without a keyboard with it. Plus create shortcuts you might like. I feel 95% as productive in zbrush and 85 in Photoshop. As I would on desktop. On top of that drawing or sculpting right onto the screen is much better than a detached wacom feeling to me.

I'm extremely hopeful about the potential of this thing. Especially combined with art dock

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes