05-27-2015 08:50 AM
99 1234
tools
    There is a similar problem on the SP1 I have but its only on the lower right corner. All of the other corners track perfectly.
    10-26-2013 07:25 PM
    After I did voluptuary xda's trick, my surface was a little bit better. You must be very careful to do that. I think we have to live with it, or wait for Microsoft.
    Last edited by minhthanhvn; 10-26-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    10-26-2013 07:33 PM
    I tried several Samsung slates a couple years back because of this issue, and they all were inaccurate in the corners. That's normal for Wacom.
    minhthanhvn and SwimSwim like this.
    10-27-2013 02:31 AM
    Just an update on this issue. Even with the taskbar on top working in a program like Manga Studio 5 I am not able to close the program clicking on the 'x'. I am noticing this to be an issue with other programs that have custom GUI. You can use your mouse or touch to close it.

microsoftsurfacepro2flaw.jpg
    10-27-2013 02:55 PM
    I have similar issues on my Lenovo X220 Tablet. I've seen this behaviour on countless wacom digitizer screens. Even Wacom's own Cintiq line, which is a screen with built-in digitizer made by Wacom, exhibit the same behaviour. I use a standalone Wacom Intuos for photo editing, and they make the digitizer surface oversized to avoid this problem. But oversizing the digitizer layer is a lot harder (or impractical) to do when attached to a LCD screen. I'd venture to say that this is not a Surface problem, it is a characteristic of the Wacom digitizers. What I've done is increased the system-wide size of text and menus so everything has a much larger landing area, so it is easier to hit. Makes it a lot nicer for using your fingers too. I'm at 125% on my 12.5" screen at 1366x768. I'd probably go a lot higher on a 10.5" screen at 1920x1080.
    Kevin Rush and SwimSwim like this.
    10-27-2013 04:42 PM
    I have similar issues on my Lenovo X220 Tablet. I've seen this behaviour on countless wacom digitizer screens. Even Wacom's own Cintiq line, which is a screen with built-in digitizer made by Wacom, exhibit the same behaviour. I use a standalone Wacom Intuos for photo editing, and they make the digitizer surface oversized to avoid this problem. But oversizing the digitizer layer is a lot harder (or impractical) to do when attached to a LCD screen. I'd venture to say that this is not a Surface problem, it is a characteristic of the Wacom digitizers. What I've done is increased the system-wide size of text and menus so everything has a much larger landing area, so it is easier to hit. Makes it a lot nicer for using your fingers too. I'm at 125% on my 12.5" screen at 1366x768. I'd probably go a lot higher on a 10.5" screen at 1920x1080.
    Pity, but I can live with it. Now that I'm aware of the issue, I've been able to be a little more careful when using the pen near the corners. It's bothersome that I need to think about it, but once you get in the habit of adapting to the issue, it's not that big a deal. Bit odd though that seemingly all Wacom digitizers experience this, why does the accuracy drop so drastically near the corners, I wonder?
    10-27-2013 08:01 PM
    maybe it is a defective unit that need to be replaced
    10-27-2013 08:15 PM
    UPDATE: Are you guys sure calibrating doesn't work? I just calibrated mine, and I was extremely meticulous and careful about it. It can still be a little finicky around the corners, but it's a great deal more accurate and precise than before.
    10-27-2013 10:25 PM
    Mine is doing the same thing, but it doesnt bother me as much...i actually prefer this "bug" as it avoids me from having to go directly to the corner when trying to Menu file or other options. But i could see how this would cause problems for an artist.
    10-28-2013 09:32 AM
    Important Update:

I just got a call back from Microsoft. They confirmed there is a problem with the pen tracking system and it has been brought to the attention of the Surface Pro engineering team. They have no idea when this issue is going to fixed.

I hope this is not a hardware issue.
    PhilWitt and minhthanhvn like this.
    10-28-2013 11:46 AM
    News?
    10-29-2013 08:26 PM
    News?
    Been like this since day one on the sp1 id wager there is no fix. Holding the pen vertical helps.
    minhthanhvn likes this.
    10-30-2013 09:06 PM
    I tried. Calibrate with 175 points did help. It made the pen more accurate. However, installing wacom driver clear the calibration's effect. Moreover, calibration also makes the pen can't move to the right edge of the surface's screen, where the pen is supposed to open charm bar.
    10-30-2013 09:15 PM
    Well at worst, I think we should close it from the task bar, or drag the window out of position from maximize, which will make restore to non-maximized state, and then you can close it.
    I mean if this is Wacom issue in general, there isn't much to do. If you have 125% or 150% DPI scaling, then it should not be much issue in that regard as you can just use your finger... maybe with 100% DPI as well.. I don't know I don't have my SP2 yet.
    10-30-2013 10:23 PM
    OK, so I re-calibrated the pen input and now its all working perfectly... the corners are working as expected, originally I had the issue with top left corner but after calibration its dead on. Me a happy camper :)
    10-30-2013 11:08 PM
    OK, so I re-calibrated the pen input and now its all working perfectly... the corners are working as expected, originally I had the issue with top left corner but after calibration its dead on. Me a happy camper :)
    Did you do the normal 4 point calibration? Did you have the Wacom drivers installed? Did you hold the pen perpendicular to the screen or in your normal writing angle?
    10-31-2013 01:48 AM
    Did you do the normal 4 point calibration? Did you have the Wacom drivers installed? Did you hold the pen perpendicular to the screen or in your normal writing angle?
    4 point calibration at each corner of the screen

Not sure if they're installed, I only have what Microsoft update would install on my system. I didn't go out of my way to install any additional drivers...yet.

Normal writing angle
    10-31-2013 04:36 AM
    4 point calibration at each corner of the screen

Not sure if they're installed, I only have what Microsoft update would install on my system. I didn't go out of my way to install any additional drivers...yet.

Normal writing angle
    Thanks, the drivers aren't installed by default, you have to get them from wacom, guess that means I'll try to uninstall them tonight and go without them. Hoping it'll work
    10-31-2013 05:56 AM
    Thanks, the drivers aren't installed by default, you have to get them from wacom, guess that means I'll try to uninstall them tonight and go without them. Hoping it'll work
    Ah, thanks for the heads up
    10-31-2013 09:35 AM
    So if i understand this correctly... to get pressure sensitivity you need to install Wacom drivers.
    They are not installed by default. But, Microsoft has support for pressure sensitivity out of the box (no Wacom drivers needed) for Modern UI apps?

If so, why Microsoft doesn't make these API available for desktop applications? Well isn't it obvious thing to do?
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    10-31-2013 09:55 AM
    So if i understand this correctly... to get pressure sensitivity you need to install Wacom drivers.
    They are not installed by default. But, Microsoft has support for pressure sensitivity out of the box (no Wacom drivers needed) for Modern UI apps?

If so, why Microsoft doesn't make these API available for desktop applications? Well isn't it obvious thing to do?
    Probably because Microsoft is really trying to push RT apps. The future truly is mobile computing. Legacy Windows is powerful, but it's also old. And since back in the day, Microsoft had no clear vision for itself, anytime a new OS version came out, they just layered and slapped on more code atop what's already there (I'm well aware it's far more technical than that, but I don't fully understand it myself, so I'm simplifying it. Therefore, I ask all the developers who know what they're talking about too not slaughter me ). It works, but also makes development a pain. There are many different things trying to run side-by-side, and older software limitations can come back to bite (doing something as simple as changing a menu's layout could mean a lot more work than necessary, just because of code that's ancient).

It works, but it's also a pain. Just like Microsoft is reorganizing and rebranding itself so all the departments are less fragmented and communicate more efficiently (I.E: the Metro language is now being used across nearly all services and products), they're trying to do the same with Windows. Windows RT offers a fresh slate, a new, clean beginning. Where things can be more intuitively designed and make life easier.

So yes, while legacy Windows is still relevant, Microsoft is also really trying to move forward with a new, clean beginning, without all the problems of yore.
    MBytes likes this.
    11-02-2013 02:16 PM
    Oh no I agree with Microsoft vision and direction... hence why I am getting a Surface Pro 2. And why I have Windows 8, well now 8.1 on my laptop and desktop.
    It's just that... you know.. you HAVE the code done.. why not port it as additional API for desktop programs to support, if they want to. I am not saying Microsoft should figure out a way to make all current desktop support it.. that will spell disaster for sure, already the new DPI scaling in 8.1 system break some games, even at when Windows is set to 100% (normal) DPI setting (there is a fix, with compatibility mode, so it's not the end of the world). Just additional API for software to support. So like, let's a say a new version of PhotoShop on desktop can support it out of the box, without Wacom drivers.
    11-02-2013 02:25 PM
    FYI: I decided to look at the tracking on my Wacom Cintiq 21UX and even that has corner issues (albeit less pronounced than on my SP2). This is dedicated drawing hardware produced by Wacom costing more than the surface pro and is generally amazing to draw on. I'd go with the basic-technology-issue outside of MS control and wouldn't rely on the 1cm square at each corner being accurate. If it is you're just lucky.
    11-03-2013 01:04 PM
    Also discussed here BTW.
    Last edited by vipkl; 11-04-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    11-03-2013 01:18 PM
    The pen default calibration works perfectly.
    The problem is that you are not holding the pen in the right angle of what it was calibrated to.
    If you hold the pen (right hand), in the fashion of not having your palm black your horizontal peripheral view, bellow your pen, then the tracking is near excellent.
    If not, ie: holding the pen like 'normally', then you have what you see on the video.
    Try positioning your hand/pen at different angles in rotation and tilt, you'll find the right angle the pen was calibrated to, and how everything, by magic, works perfectly (considerating the wacom technology limitation, of being not great on corners, so not a true perfect, but definitely better)... beside possibly not be comfortable for you.

You need to calibrate the pen, for your hand holding position. Things to keep in mind. A small offset of the target at some point will create a larger gap in your tracking at some location, in addition, you need to hold the pen while you calibrate and when using, at the same defined position, else you'll have spots where the tracking is off by a few degree... up to you, if the gap difference will be an issue at the particular zone, if you prefer to change the pen angle at each for corner. Keep in mind that the calibration considers the entire pen position, when you hit the target point.

I hope this helps understanding how it works
    01-01-2014 03:48 PM
99 1234