So there is warrant extension for my surface pro 2.
    It covers physical damage no question ask exchange for two years. Do you think it is worth it?

Official information here: Surface warranty | Surface standard warranty | Microsoft Complete

I have 40 days to decide. Please help! :)
    10-27-2013 04:15 PM
    Some banks offer device insurance when you upgrade your account, I pay 17 a month and 4 devices are covered as well as the extra banking benefits, a lot cheaper than individual insurance.
    10-27-2013 04:37 PM
    Some banks offer device insurance when you upgrade your account, I pay 17 a month and 4 devices are covered as well as the extra banking benefits, a lot cheaper than individual insurance.
    . Thank you. Yea my credit card offer 1 yr extended warranty in addition to the original manufacturer warranty. However it doesn't cover any accidental damage or spills. Since this is an expensive tablet, I have a fear of dropping it or damage it. Does the Microsoft complete gives you a brand new sp2 or s refurbished one like apple?
    10-27-2013 05:02 PM
    You'll probably get a refurbished. As they are hard to open, and refurbished... expect minor scratches here and there, but the device should be working properly. At worst get a complete casing with the refurbished to hide them. The screen should be fine. It's better a refurbished than no unit. Of course, like any computer sent for replacement, your data won't be transferred to the replacement unit, if you wonder.

The warranty is only 150$ US/Canada if I am not mistaken. A repair out of warranty is ~500$ + shipping cost.
    Source: Surface Pro: Broken Windows & Out of Warranty Repair Costs | CRASHCTRL
    10-29-2013 01:31 PM
    I got it for my SP2, the coverage is really the best you will see, it covers everything and the service is great. I had it on my Surface RT as well (not as necessary on a ARM tablet). The reason you want this on the SP2 is because, this thing is an ultrabook at heart. Unless you plan on owning it for less than a year and half to two years I'd get it. An ultrabook, especially such a portable one, is far more prone to needing service than an ARM tablet. That is my 2 cents. Good luck!
    10-30-2013 12:45 PM
    I had it on my old Samsung Series 7 tablet. Definitely worth it. In my case the digitizer stopped working. So they refunded me the purchase price of the tablet as it was too expensive to repair which I applied to my new SPRO 2. Don't think they do refurbs. Either they'll fix it, give you a new one if its still being made, or credit.
    10-30-2013 01:09 PM
    I took it on my old SP and the new SP2 as well. For me it's more peace of mind. I don't have to care about putting it in a cage all the time, plus I get to show off my naked SP2 in public when I am using it. If it falls down or cracks something, I'll get a new one. :)
    10-30-2013 02:31 PM
    Yes, you should. It was well worth the $150. Not only you get added warranty and damage, but get special software!
    rdubmu likes this.
    10-30-2013 02:31 PM
    Special software?
    10-30-2013 04:51 PM
    Special software?
    Here.
    imageuploadedbywpcentral-forums1383170122.200578.jpg
    10-30-2013 04:55 PM
    Ok, so Windows Defender... next.
    I was expecting Office or something, not software that is already free.
    10-30-2013 05:37 PM
    Ok, so Windows Defender... next.
    I was expecting Office or something, not software that is already free.
    I think it's something else though. Said something about PC tune up.
    10-30-2013 06:35 PM
    I think it's something else though. Said something about PC tune up.
    While it might be some software that does this... it will just:
    - Empty your folder.
    - Execute full drive TRIM on the SSD (which Windows 8 does that for you) Or defrag if you are on a HDD.. but this is Surface for TRIM.
    - Remove startup programs and Task scheduler startup programs
    Like all Tune Up programs. (they do more things, but mostly bogus, so I am not mentioning it)

And that's about it.
    Something we all do.. so I am not particularly exited.. a bit more convenient for sure.. but not exciting.
    10-30-2013 06:58 PM
    how much is the deductible?
    10-30-2013 07:08 PM
    how much is the deductible?
    To get a replacement surface if it is broken, and have complete, I think it's $50.
    rdubmu likes this.
    10-30-2013 07:36 PM
    How much damage does it have to be in order for Microsoft to be considered damage? For example, if I drop and damage the casing, but still functional.
    10-30-2013 10:04 PM
    How much damage does it have to be in order for Microsoft to be considered damage? For example, if I drop and damage the casing, but still functional.
    Drop it again?
    10-30-2013 10:31 PM
    Just drop it so hard again, that it's not functional and get a new one..
    10-31-2013 09:59 AM
    I'm a little confused about the Microsoft Complete warranty. First, I thought it was only $99 but I guess it's now $150? I just bought a Surface Pro 2 and when I registered it online it says "Standard Warranty: Expires Jan 13, 2015". When I go to buy Microsoft Complete it says...
    Plan covers hardware malfunctions and technical support for 1 additional year on top of the manufacturer's warranty. Also covers up to 2 instances of accidental damage during the coverage period.

So does that mean I'll have accidental damage coverage until Jan 13, 2016? I'm trying to figure out if this is better then the Best Buy extended warranty for two years which is $250. They will only even out if I have to replace the device 2 times (50 dollar deductible each time). I don't think the Best Buy warranty has limits, the Microsoft warranty can only be used twice. But then again, if I'm replacing the device more then twice I have some other problems that I have to deal with.
    10-31-2013 10:49 AM
    99$ is the Surface 2
    150$ is the Surface Pro 2
    You should read the small prints for the BestBuy warranty carefully. Don't assume, it only leads to disappointments.
    10-31-2013 10:58 AM
    The staff at my local Microsoft Store called this the "consumer" extended warranty, and mentioned that they also offer two "business" extended warranties. Both business warranties are for 3 years (instead of 2) -- there's a $300 policy that also covers 2 instances of accidental damage, but without any deductible. So if you do use up 2 incidents, you'd end up paying $250 for the consumer warranty for 2 years, vs $300 for 3 years...

The other business warranty is cheaper but doesn't cover accidental damage. I forget the price since I wasn't interested...
    11-01-2013 03:45 PM
    The staff at my local Microsoft Store called this the "consumer" extended warranty, and mentioned that they also offer two "business" extended warranties. Both business warranties are for 3 years (instead of 2) -- there's a $300 policy that also covers 2 instances of accidental damage, but without any deductible. So if you do use up 2 incidents, you'd end up paying $250 for the consumer warranty for 2 years, vs $300 for 3 years...

The other business warranty is cheaper but doesn't cover accidental damage. I forget the price since I wasn't interested...
    Aha! I new back with the Surface Pro 1, I saw 3 year Microsoft Complete extended warranty, which was 300$ no deductible... then it disappeared at some point... and I think this is when Microsoft made the Business section Surface page. So now we where it ended up.
    11-01-2013 03:58 PM
    So I just Bought a tablet with Microsoft Complete thinking that if I damaged it they would replace it on the spot. 2 weeks later I dropped the tablet on the floor shattering the screen. IT has been at the Microsoft store here in Boston for 1 week now "getting inspected". I keep calling and they tell me it will probably be 2 weeks before it "goes through" Meanwhile I am without a tablet. This is a very inefficient warranty plan, When I bought it was under the impression that if I was traveling and had a catastrophic accident they would replace it on the spot. So far I have been very unimpressed with the warranty plan I would not do it again. 100$ for a 400$ machine and I have to pay 50 $ deductible and wait 2 weeks. I would probably just buy another machine and eat the cost, I am not one who frequently drops tablets, this was an isolated incident, but still the wait was not expected when I forked over the cash for the plan in the first place.
    05-24-2014 06:18 PM