QuickTime in IE11 on SP2

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
My ADT cameras require QuickTime to view them through my browser. I have QuickTime installed and Firefox sees it just fine and will launch the cameras. However, there are somethings in the ADT site that won't work properly with Firefox so I usually use my IE browser. When I got my SP2, I tried to access my cameras and got a message that I need to install QuickTime. It's already installed. What I'm not seeing is the plug-ins installed in IE. Is there a problem with IE11 and QuickTime? I can't seem to find anything about this when searching the internet.

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the "Metro" version of IE? Plug-ins don't work on that version. If you haven't already, try using the desktop version.

NO plug-ins at all? I haven't worked with windows 8 yet. Is it the same with Firefox and Chrome? I really would prefer working with "Metro". Or is there no big difference to the desktop version?

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
NO plug-ins at all? I haven't worked with windows 8 yet. Is it the same with Firefox and Chrome? I really would prefer working with "Metro". Or is there no big difference to the desktop version?

Well as of right now Firefox and Chrome don't have Metro versions, so you'd be stuck using the desktop version with those anyway. The Metro version of IE does have Flash built in, and it handles HTML5 nicely, but that's about all you'll get as far as embedded media is concerned. What I do when I run into a site that requires some type of plug-in is use the "View on Desktop" option, which shoots you straight to the desktop version where you can use your plug-ins. There are only two real differences that I can think of between the Metro browser and the desktop one: The Metro version is full screen while the desktop one is not (but this can be fixed by pressing F11 on the desktop) and the desktop browser doesn't let you go back/forward through pages by swiping. Not a huge deal, imo.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm launching IE from my desktop. I see other plug-ins (add-ons), like I see in my IE browser on my desktop. I just don't see the Apple QuickTime plug-ins. It's still activeX so I don't understand where the problem is.

GaryJE

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with ADT and Windows 8.1/IE 11. Definitely using the desktop version of IE. Other plug-ins work for me, too.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Modern UI version of IE11, has Flash included itself. That is all. You cannot install any other plug-ins.
To enjoy other plug-ins you need to start IE11 on the desktop environment. Any plug-in that does not work there are simply not currently supported by IE11. You may want to contact the company of the plug-in for a status update on this, or for a beta version which they are willing to share.

Firefox Beta has a Modern UI version available, but does not support any plug-ins. It can only play HTML 5 audio/video content.
Of course, the desktop version of Firefox support all the same plug-ins and extensions we came to know and love.

The problem with all this, is that Modern UI apps are completely sandboxes. As much as people praise sandboxing.. you have the mess that you have now. Microsoft needs to open up Modern UI apps to the "outside" to allow other programs to interact with it, and give you the ability to install plug-ins for it, and have the Modern UI apps be able to load them. Sadly, doing this, opens security holes.
It doesn't help the 'cause when you have Adobe doing a half job with their security protection with Flash, where you see exploits being used. So, it's a difficult balance that people needs to choose. You want power, and flexibility.... expect to live in a world of exploits, and the important of keeping your system updated, including versions of Windows (or Mac, or Linux based OSs), and live with an anti-virus solution. You want none of that... live in an enclosed environment, Apple'esk where everything is limited, and for an OS like Windows, you have this mix world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6