Major problems with surface pro 2, unexpected shutdowns, sleep issues, unknown devicedevice manager

dborden

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
There are half a dozen threads now covering these issues.

If you perform a reset on a surface pro 2 and perform all windows updates you are left with an unknown device in device manager for SURFACE COVER TELEMETRY. This device is not functioning and updating the driver does not resolve.

My system also experiences random unexpected shutdowns and reboots when waking from sleeping or going to sleep as well as issues going to sleep consistently when closing the type cover 2.

I am creating a thread here to see if others are noticing this. It may be overlooked because of how quickly SSDs boot up however if you check your event log I think all surface pro 2 owners are suffering from event ID 41 unexpected shutdown issues as well as an unknown device driver.

dborden

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I have not had any issues since I performed a reset and choose not to install the firmware update. I patched windows fully but blocked the firmware update.

AndroidRon

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. Was very random until the past few days and now is happening much more consistently. Surface 2 often doesn't wake up from a sleep until you perform a full reboot. Pretty embarrassing considering how many people I've been showing the Surface 2 to. Lots of iPad users I was trying to impress are walking away laughing!!!! Come on Microsoft - this needs a fix ASAP!!

dborden

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I received my replacement surface pro 2 tonight. I booted it up and there was no unknown device in device manager. installed all updates and everything still looked good. I performed a reset and booted up and there it was again. unknown device. performed all updates and still an unknown device. looks like this one is getting sent back. I think microsoft has a serious software/driver issue on their hands and they are either hiding it, ignoring it, or are incompetent.

I went to the microsoft store and all the staff refused to let me look in the device manager or event log of any of their devices. I don't know what to think of all this. I guess I will have to call support again tomorrow.

WG Rowland

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I received my replacement surface pro 2 tonight. I booted it up and there was no unknown device in device manager. installed all updates and everything still looked good. I performed a reset and booted up and there it was again. unknown device. performed all updates and still an unknown device. looks like this one is getting sent back. I think microsoft has a serious software/driver issue on their hands and they are either hiding it, ignoring it, or are incompetent.

I went to the microsoft store and all the staff refused to let me look in the device manager or event log of any of their devices. I don't know what to think of all this. I guess I will have to call support again tomorrow.

If you'd confirmed that apparently there is a driver missing in the Surface reset, and had multiple people backing this up, and you'd JUST received a working Surface Pro 2 back from Microsoft, why was your first act to do the thing you had already confirmed would screw it up?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just not sure I'm following the logic.

I haven't had to reset my system (although now that I know there's issues, I think I'll look at a third party backup solution), I've installed all the updates along with the firmware update, and haven't had any issues with my system.

dborden

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
If you'd confirmed that apparently there is a driver missing in the Surface reset, and had multiple people backing this up, and you'd JUST received a working Surface Pro 2 back from Microsoft, why was your first act to do the thing you had already confirmed would screw it up?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just not sure I'm following the logic.

I haven't had to reset my system (although now that I know there's issues, I think I'll look at a third party backup solution), I've installed all the updates along with the firmware update, and haven't had any issues with my system.

Your not following the logic because you haven't worked in IT your entire life. I am evaluating this product for a potential large purchase for my company's mobile sales force. It's my job to try and break it. A reset should in now way cause a problem with these devices and if it does it needs to be resolved ASAP since it is the first thing Microsoft's technical support will tell you to do. You should be thanking me.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I have worked in IT all my life for about 24 years, and no logic there, yes trying to break it ahead of time would solve issues later, but saying microsoft will tell you to reset it first thing is ridiculous that a last resort same as phones. Dont know what with you people and resetting everything every chance you get, it sounds like a very simple problem in the software installation or some drivers are missing on the backup copy of windows, which only means they probably forgot to add them in, thinking nobody would need to reset their device one month into owning it considering it was most likely working perfect before you did and didnt require a reset. Your one of those IT instead of fixing a problem you just wipe the drive and start new every chance you get. yes sounds like there is a software problem in the reset, i'm sure they are aware and it will be fixed, is it a reason not to buy them? I would think a reset would happen once every few years especially since these are not windows xp and have proved to be working perfect months and months after purchase with no slow down or lag. So i'm sure by the time you actually NEED a reset and even then probably iffy it will be fixed. So yeah i have an SP2 it works perfect and i have no plans of resetting unless i wanna wipe it because i'm selling it.

WG Rowland

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Your not following the logic because you haven't worked in IT your entire life. I am evaluating this product for a potential large purchase for my company's mobile sales force. It's my job to try and break it. A reset should in now way cause a problem with these devices and if it does it needs to be resolved ASAP since it is the first thing Microsoft's technical support will tell you to do. You should be thanking me.

Actually I'm a DBA and former IT support person. I didn't follow the logic because you didn't mention your reasons anywhere that I'd noticed and I haven't been psychic my entire life. Now that I understand where you're coming from it makes sense.

No offense intended and thank you.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I would think a reset would happen once every few years especially since these are not windows xp and have proved to be working perfect months and months after purchase with no slow down or lag. t.

This i can related to...but its been a long time since i've had those issues with my work PC. My work laptop was running XP for 4 years and i never had to reformat or reset the device clean....but i know many others that had to. Since updating my work PC to Windows 7, its been SOLID without any major lag or slowdowns...runs exceptionally well on a 4+ year old laptop. To note, with my home PC i had to reset the device once in 5 or so years? that was my fault due to catching a trojan virus from a questionable website. I've had my current deskop for 4 years running Windows 7 and never once had to reformat/reset the device.

All im saying is it does look like MS/Windows have come a long way in the last few iterations...i cant say ive had many problems and feel happy with the products they provide.

littlebib

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I used that driver pack. Thanks for the link.

Ultimately, here's what's happened to me:
  • Powered on, joined my domain and linked my live account to my domain account.
  • Somehow in this process I managed to get to the point where I could no longer download anything from the store.
  • So I decided to just wipe the machine and fully patched it. The loss of network drivers is what got me to this thread.
  • Just trying to update the network drivers didn't work for me. I don't recall the exact error I was getting, but basically the surface wouldn't recognize the drivers.
  • Ended up running the "refresh your PC" option. That actually fixed the network drivers. Firmware update showed as available again but I smartly decided not to install it.
  • Using the drivers you provided I both updated the version of the NIC drivers as well as the "Surface" driver that shows up as unknown in device manager.

There's more to this story including getting the error "To use this app, you need to sign in with the Microsoft account that was used to download it." in Xbox games, but I don't know how I fixed that so I can't give details. If I figure it out, I'll post because there seems to be a fair number of people who get that error.

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been factory resetting an SP2 unit multiple times as well, and here's my similar observations:

- Just from resetting each time, Device Manager already showed the "Unknown device" (even before doing any Windows Updates).

- The next reboot (perhaps after the firmware update but can't remember exactly) would inevitably showed the Wi-Fi driver not having been loaded (first indicator being a red X on the lock screen Wi-Fi icon). But another reboot after that always seemed to fix it...

- Windows Update on the reset SP2 is missing three device drivers found on other SP2 units:
  • ASIX - LAN - ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter
  • Microsoft - Other hardware - Type Cover Trackpad Settings
  • Western Digital Technologies - Other hardware - WD SES Device

- As dborden mentioned, Device Manager on the reset SP2 is missing:
  • System devices: Surface Cover Telemetry

- Toggling "Show hidden devices" in Device Manager showed additional missing entries on the reset SP2:
  • Disk drives: WD My Book 1140 USB Device *and* WD My Passport 0740 USB Device
  • Human Interface Devices: Surface Type Cover Firmware Update Device, etc
  • Network adapters: ASIX - LAN - ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter
  • Other devices: WD SES Device USB Device
  • Portable devices: IMAGING
  • Universal Serial Bus controllers: Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub, etc

P.S. Not sure what "ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter" is on the SP2. It's not the Surface USB Ethernet adapter since I have that, and when plugged in it's registered as something else. Also not sure why "WD SES Device" is on the SP2. I usually see this from having plugged in a WD My Passport USB hard drive, which I haven't done on the SP2. Could these be remnants of the method by which Microsoft (or the OEM) configures these SP2 units at the factory?

EDIT: I was in a rush and ended up exchanging my reset unit today (for other hardware-related reasons), so unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try the manual firmware & drivers that MBytes posted to see if they would've helped...

Last edited:

dwigfor

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I just had a new issue where my pen stopped functioning. I went back to the MS kiosk "store" and the pen worked on other surface pros/2s, but no pen would work on mine. I had even tried reinstalling Wacom drivers to see if that'd fix it. We couldn't get it to work. Then, after previously experiencing the unable to boot problem, I think I even tried the hold power button for 10 sec. then press power again. Then, on another forum, I found a new thing. Hold volume up button and power and then release at surface logo to bring up a bios. I just restarted after that, and then the pen started working again! I've experienced other issues with the pen; it works fine in metro apps, but on desktop apps (photoshop, after effects), the cursor would be WAY misaligned. Like half the screen off. I think reboot fixed that.

I've encountered more issues than I've expected. Microsoft hardware running Microsoft software should work. Well. The failure to boot and the pen not working have me a bit worried. I think I'll be glad I purchased MS Complete.

Max Pittsley

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same issues. I pre-ordered a SP2, but it was having shutdowns during sleep, and the stylus stopped working for a period of time. In fact, a few times, the Surface would refuse to turn on for about a day. I just now finished setting up my replacement unit, and am already getting Code 41 shutdowns during sleep. There aren't any apparent solutions online right now. I'm going to do a factory reset and abstain from the firmware upgrade, in hopes that will prevent the issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion