Major problems with surface pro 2, unexpected shutdowns, sleep issues, unknown devicedevice manager

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft 9Channel has a show called Defrag Show, where they fix people problem, or will inform the appropriate guys at Microsoft to have them fix it. Some of the solution will be presented on the show.
Simply contact: DefragShow@microsoft.com
The Defrag Show | Channel 9

I don't have a Surface Pro 2, so I can't do it for yo guys.. but I would blast the e-mail (everyone on this thread e-mail about the sleep issue), to have them report it, and the Surface team fix it asap.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For those with the sleep/wake up problem... I just recalled I had a similar issue with my desktop and Realtek wired adapter.
The fix was simple. Go in Device Manager, and double click on the Marvel Ethernet wireless controller, and go under the Power Management tab, and UNcheck the box to allow Windows to put the device to sleep. Click on OK, and now see if you have a problem. You may need to restart.

I know, mine is wired and Realtek, but it's worth a shot. I can't test it as I don't have a SP2.

freshfelicio

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I have that unknown device after resetting too. But my Type Cover 2 works perfectly. Instead, I cant log into Xbox in games. And also, when I put it to sleep at the evening, I start it in the morning and it boots up like I did a shutdown.

Lumia 920

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Exacly the same issu here!
Unexpected shutdown ,reboot after sleep mode, unknow device, kernel issue, unknow driver
I also have bad wifi and ie//settings crash, and when i've booted for the first time, Windows was not activated.
I had to type a series of 60 numbers !

Msft will send me a new one...

Last edited:

Anastasia Yeager

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Have a surface pro 2 512GB both surface and keyboard were replaced once because they weren't functioning properly. Now it runs almost like a dream. The only hang up is when it is off or sleeping for any length of time it does not see the type cover. Have tried many many things. What works consistently? Unattaching keyboard, turning tablet sideways (volume key up top) and re attaching keyboard in that position. Sound silly? Hubby said its an interface problem that Microsoft should really fix if they want to be considered prime time. I love my machine so I'll put up with this for now. Everything else is smooth as silk. It is so intuitive I love it.

rowena barramed

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Pls help me...
why my nokia 700 is running slowly after reset? I expected that after reset it will fast because all data was deleted and it turn back in the original settings.
Thank you po...

kravex

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Don't have any unknown devices but closing the cover is like rolling a die to see what happens when you open it again...

username55

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine is buggier by the day :(((
Even just to type this reply I had to tap the text box 40 times. Each time the keyboard pops up for one second them disappears. Finally I managed to hit a key before it disappeared and it stayed.

I wanted this to be what it could have been so bad. But its just too buggy and the pen is forever too inaccurate for my doodles. Can't reliably trace a line.

Its like they didn't even have a test phase. This could have been such a game changer in my field of work but they blew it. Every time I try to show it off for co workers it bugs out. Photoshop crashes 50 percent of the time upon opening. This seems likes some half baked Taiwanese product

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
While I don't have a SP2 yet to confirm anything,
I think you have a bad luck manufacture error in your hand. I would RMA it.

Tom Murray2

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I thought this could help with the type cover issue, cause mine seems to be waking the SP2.

Control panel, ease of access, ease of access centre, make keyboard easier to use, (at the bottom) keyboard settings, hardware tab, surface type cover device (properties), change settings, power management tab, allow this device to wake computer.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine started rebooting only yesterday, instead of going to sleep. I've had it for some three weeks without that issue so I'm thinking it may be something I have installed or configured.

Other than that I am struggling with some of the issues everyone is having, like using the pen in desktop applications that have tiny menus on top. Well, lots of little problems really.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
You need to hold pen pointing upwards, where your palm doesn't block the your horizontal view of the system. That is what the pen is calibrated to by default. Strange hand position, but I have see many using a tablet, writing like this, for some odd reason. It needs to be calibrated to your hand position. calibration is very tricky, because a small offset on the target point, could mean a visible offset in some area of the screen. So it is important to really take your time, and be sure your position your hand as would normally do when interacting with the system. The thing to remember is that the entire pen angle and tilt is used to track the pen. So if it changes as you use the system, the tracking is no longer as good as before. Yes corners will not be perfect, there is nothing you can do about it, it's a limitation of Wacom pen technology. That is why the Surface Pro 2 has a large border around the screen, which is the extension of the digitizer, and why the tablet of Wacom, have an even larger surrounding, all in order to reduce the lack of precision at that angle.

What I would suggest is to set Windows to not install updates automatically. Like this you can uncheck firmware and driver upgrade, so that you can keep track of what gets installed, so that you know what is causing the problem when it gets installed, an revert back to the previous version (well when it's firmware you can't go back, but at least you can check it out if people have issues).

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
If you click on "reset" in the calibration, it will return everything back to the original calibration. You can try again... maybe a Windows update cleared something...
It's hard for me to test and help you out more, as the pen is faulty on my side, I'll return it on Monday.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you click on "reset" in the calibration, it will return everything back to the original calibration. You can try again... maybe a Windows update cleared something...
It's hard for me to test and help you out more, as the pen is faulty on my side, I'll return it on Monday.

Yes, I'm trying again now. Seems logical that it should be possible to calibrate it since there is a feature for it. Trying with and without calibration now and the calibrated version is clearly better although it is still impossibly inaccurate towards the edges. Especially towards the bottom in my case.

Oh well... I don't think I have bought a single electrical device during the last ten years at least that even remotely lives up to the features promised. If they do they break down the day after your warranty runs out. And society seems to accept that.

I'm sure some sort of fix or workaround will appear eventually. Probably after I have scrapped this and boight something else. :)

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Calibration is very hard, as we are not precision.. we can't be, we vibrate none stop ,while the computer seeks perfection. You need to use a machine to calibrate something. So, in our case, we can only do the best we can. The thing is that even if you have Microsoft come to your place, and uses fancy tools to calibrate the Surface Pro 2 for you and uses these settings for all... you'll be happy, but virtually no one else, as we all old our pens differently, all have different sizes and preferences.

Pen technology needs to improve further... basically, it needs to be able to track without using the pen, but rather the tip, without caring the angle of the tip. And the tip can't be a button. So, not easy as it sounds when you try to think about it in building one. Remember also that it can't click without having touch the glass surface...

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
True, very true! Still I don't remember the inexpensive Bamboo tablet I used at work last year for photo retouching being anyway near as inaccurate. So a good deal of improvement should be possible.

More calibration points perhaps, to compensate for the inaccuracy radiating out from the middle. When calibrating the corners like this, the middle ends up as fairly good. But since the inaccuracy seems to increase exponentially towards the sides, it should perhaps be possible to calculate for that with more sampling points. Or a tweaked formula. Hehe. Easy for me to say. :)

Hope your new pen works out good!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss