Office 2013 pre-installed on SP2?

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this should be obvious. Does Surface Pro 2 have the Office 2013 program files already pre-installed, and we just need to supply a product key to activate it? FYI I have the Office 365 subscription.

When I was setting up our first SP2, I thought that the Microsoft Office icon was just an advertisement link and not the actual program files, so I immediately uninstalled it without even checking. Afterward I was planning to do the real installation from the Office 365 website.

But if the program files are actually already pre-installed, then on subsequent SP2 units that I set up, I can just activate with my Office 365 credentials, without having to install the program files again?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My memory is a little fuzzy, but the way I remember it, I just clicked the Office icon, it prompted me to log-in or enter a license key, then when I clicked something (I think it was to log-in), I was directed to the Office 365 website, where I easily enabled the one-month trial, and all the Office apps installed in just ten minutes. Been very happy with them thus far, I'll make sure to subscribe when the trail expires, I'm wowed by how seamlessly it all works and syncs across my SkyDrive!

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
My experience was a bit less smooth, I clicked and registered the 1 month trial then decided I want to buy it. Got a Office 365 University subscription and there was no way to register it on the same email I entered for the trial. Ended up chatting with support for a while until the conclusion was: use a different email to register the University. Not ideal but it worked.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My experience was a bit less smooth, I clicked and registered the 1 month trial then decided I want to buy it. Got a Office 365 University subscription and there was no way to register it on the same email I entered for the trial. Ended up chatting with support for a while until the conclusion was: use a different email to register the University. Not ideal but it worked.

Couldn't you have just subscribed using the same email when the trial is over? It gives you full access to everything the full subscribed version gives (Aside from the 20GB of SkyDrive storage, but since you get 200GB of SkyDrive storage with your Surface, that's a moot point).

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't you have just subscribed using the same email when the trial is over? It gives you full access to everything the full subscribed version gives (Aside from the 20GB of SkyDrive storage, but since you get 200GB of SkyDrive storage with your Surface, that's a moot point).
Yes you could with most versions (I think) except the University. This was a few months ago though (for the SP1) maybe they managed to close that bug/feature :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb