Trying to decide between the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and the Surface Pro 2. My Best Buy had the Lenovo on backorder, so I took the "sign" and got a Surface Pro 2. The sales associate was more knowledgeable regarding Microsoft products that I had anticipated, but he failed to mention that the 256GB SSD version was $300 more because it also carried 8GB of RAM. Doh!

So while I haven't noticed any memory issues playing Civilization 5, I don't want to get something that'll be obsolete in the next six months or regret not forking up the additional cash for something superior. Obviously there's going to SOME difference, but I wonder if it really justifies the upgrade.

If anyone has any input, please respond. Thanks! :D
    11-10-2013 09:54 AM
    For most uses, the difference in RAM should be irrelevant. Surface Pro 2 should be as optimized as Surface Pro, which was in my experience, faster with 4GB of RAM than other devices I have used with 8GB and comparable processors. From my perspective, the real benefit is the 256GB drive since 128GB can bet used up very quickly. On that front, it can be quite important. Unfortunately, I will also add though that the $300 differential is excessive, bordering on gouging by Microsoft. The retail difference in the cost of components is barely $150 at this point.
    11-10-2013 10:12 AM
    Thanks very much for the reply! I'm not crazy about spending another $300 for memory (the drive space doesn't really impact me as much), but again, I don't want to have something that won't last me a few years.

"For most uses".. What types of things would justify the extra memory? I do play SOME games, but mostly older things that seem to run okay so far.. I'd imagine that 8GB would allocate more memory to the video card?
    11-11-2013 10:11 AM
    For me RAM gets eaten up pretty quickly due to VMs and multiple browser tabs.

I tried on my Thinkpad T410 before buying a SP2 (arrives next week) and I was hitting 3GB just with my 10-ish tabs open in chrome.
    I started up the VM I need for my class and I was hitting 6GB.

That right there told me I needed 8GB at least.

On my desktop I'm using 12 GB right now with Chrome and a VM open. Although Chrome has at least 30 or so tabs open right now lol.

It all depends on your usage.
    11-12-2013 12:53 PM
    I get an Out of Memory warning while playing Diablo 3. I have the 4GB model.
    11-12-2013 03:26 PM
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the program/game itself has to be a 64-bit program/game to even take advantage of 8 GB ram. That is because 32-bit applications have a 4 GB ram limit, which also includes the video ram (VRAM) associated with the video card. So even if you have 8 GB, not all games/programs would even be able to use it.
    11-12-2013 03:33 PM
    Would the 4GB version be fine for running programs such as Visual Studio?
    11-12-2013 03:41 PM
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the program/game itself has to be a 64-bit program/game to even take advantage of 8 GB ram. That is because 32-bit applications have a 4 GB ram limit, which also includes the video ram (VRAM) associated with the video card. So even if you have 8 GB, not all games/programs would even be able to use it.
    Not entirely true. Windows will manage your memory for the applications, all that happens is the 32bit applications can only address 4GB of RAM (using LARGEADDRESSAWARE). So if you were running TWO 32 programs, both of which were maxing out their 4GB address space, then you would be using up your full 8GB of RAM and have none left. Theoretically. That's where page files and virtual memory come into play, so you can address a lot more than your physical 8GB of RAM, and Windows will move things in and out of physical RAM on the fly as needed. Windows Phone 8 does the same thing.
    jamojamo likes this.
    11-12-2013 03:45 PM
    Yes.
    Would the 4GB version be fine for running programs such as Visual Studio?
    Rem97 likes this.
    11-12-2013 03:56 PM
    8GB is better, but I couldn't see spending the extra money on it for mainly casual tasks like replying to forum posts. :) If you're desktop replacing then get 8GB. If you're just wanting the convenience of a mobile computer, but not living on the thing day-in-day-out then 4GB is fine.
    11-12-2013 06:41 PM