It's gone with no eta on a restock and I need something powerful enough to run Visual Studio and a few other 'heavy' desktop apps. Any suggestions on something that can "bridge the gap between laptop and tablet" as SP2 was designed to do, preferably running Windows 8/8.1?

Yes, I've been doing my homework but just figured I throw it out there and see if anyone could offer some non-sarcastic insight (or at least WITTY sarcastic non-insight).
    11-14-2013 10:04 AM
    I have no recommendations for an alternative but I just want to say, dont give up on finding a SP2.

All four models were actually in stock on MS store earlier this week. As in you could add to cart and it DID NOT say "Ships by December 15" on the page.
    Right now three out of four models seem to still be in stock, only 256GB model says "Ships by December 15"

Microsoft and their retailers seem to be getting a steady trickle of SP2s.
    I was watching Staples and Bestbuy randomly get stock for like half an hour before they sold out again.
    I ended up snatching up one 256GB SP2 from Staples. They actually matched the 10% off, gave me an extra $10 off, and then another $25 off when they delayed my order due to a processing mistake.
    Although when I went back and tried again to get the 10% price match for the type cover, they said they dont do educational discounts... meh.
    11-14-2013 10:22 AM
    Don't give up on the Pro 2, but the dell venue 11 pro is a great device as well.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-14-2013 10:27 AM
    Why don't you just order the SP2 if that's what you want. I found that all models are available from tiger direct, the 64/128/256GB models from walmart, and the 64/128/256GB available from Best buy. I found those in less than 2 minutes. I'm sure they're other places that have SP2 available.
    It's gone with no eta on a restock and I need something powerful enough to run Visual Studio and a few other 'heavy' desktop apps. Any suggestions on something that can "bridge the gap between laptop and tablet" as SP2 was designed to do, preferably running Windows 8/8.1?

Yes, I've been doing my homework but just figured I throw it out there and see if anyone could offer some non-sarcastic insight (or at least WITTY sarcastic non-insight).
    11-14-2013 10:54 AM
    Why don't you just order the SP2 if that's what you want. I found that all models are available from tiger direct, the 64/128/256GB models from walmart, and the 64/128/256GB available from Best buy. I found those in less than 2 minutes. I'm sure they're other places that have SP2 available.
    I apologize guys. I'd checked the MS site a few days ago and saw they were out, then did a little research and all the articles I was reading were about them being sold out.

Looks like the situation in't as dire as I'd thought. I see a few online retailers (microcenter & even walmart) both have it in stock. I'm gonna be sooooo broke but who needs food when I can have a SP2?
    11-14-2013 11:05 AM
    It's a great machine. The pen/stylus is just great addition that I didn't even think I would really use. But, I use it non stop because the sketching apps for the SP2 are so awesome.
    I apologize guys. I'd checked the MS site a few days ago and saw they were out, then did a little research and all the articles I was reading were about them being sold out.

Looks like the situation in't as dire as I'd thought. I see a few online retailers (microcenter & even walmart) both have it in stock. I'm gonna be sooooo broke but who needs food when I can have a SP2?
    11-14-2013 11:19 AM

Haha its all good, I was panicking last week as well, especially since there were news articles saying MS had trouble stocking the 256 and 512 models.
    But it seems like they're doing just fine now. Either the initial demand has died down or they were able to ramp up production.
    11-14-2013 11:20 AM
    Don't give up on the Pro 2, but the dell venue 11 pro is a great device as well.
    Just checked up on this, looks pretty good. Hmmm.
    11-14-2013 12:15 PM
    Just checked up on this, looks pretty good. Hmmm.
    I have a 256GB/8GB surface pro 2, and love it. I think you'll be satisfied with the pro 2. Even better yet, it's made by Microsoft, and has GREAT support!
    11-14-2013 02:33 PM
    Microsoft products are tanks. I still have, and use DAILY my Microsoft Zune 120 MP3 player. 2008 device, still works today, despite dropped it several times, and survive extreme cold from Canadian winter to instant hot, by going inside, or taking a bus. Not even a scratch on the glass, thanks to the scratch resistance surface. I know no one with a broken Zune. I have complete confidence in Microsoft products build quality. Now, it doesn't mean that the Surface Pro 2 will survive drops, as the glass screen is edge to edge, and large so it could (most likely will) breaks, and while my Surface glass screen has no scratch, doesn't mean you can key the screen, either. Scratch resistance is not scratch proof.
    PandaSPUR likes this.
    11-14-2013 09:34 PM
    Microsoft products are tanks. I still have, and use DAILY my Microsoft Zune 120 MP3 player. 2008 device, still works today, despite dropped it several times, and survive extreme cold from Canadian winter to instant hot, by going inside, or taking a bus. Not even a scratch on the glass, thanks to the scratch resistance surface. I know no one with a broken Zune. I have complete confidence in Microsoft products build quality. Now, it doesn't mean that the Surface Pro 2 will survive drops, as the glass screen is edge to edge, and large so it could (most likely will) breaks, and while my Surface glass screen has no scratch, doesn't mean you can key the screen, either. Scratch resistance is not scratch proof.
    Agreed. I wish I'd never have sold my Zune HD Unfortunately I was a broke college student. It's a shame the way politics and bad marketing killed the Zune brand. Both the hardware and software were some of MS's best work.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    11-14-2013 09:52 PM
    I really wish more people would realize this lol. There are too many people out there that complain about bad craftsmanship when their screen gets scratched or cracks after falling on its edge =.=
    MBytes and unstoppablekem like this.
    11-14-2013 09:56 PM