Buy from Big Box store or Microsoft online?

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I see that many of you have purchased your SP 2 through Microsoft online.

Is there any advantage to that over just going to, say, Best Buy?

I'm considering the SP 2 as my everything computer... my pad, my notebook, and my desktop. Will want to hook it up to two monitors, bluetooth keyboard/mouse, etc for the desktop application.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess the "advantage" is that you get the BestBuy or wtv big retail store extended warranty coverage, which might be more than 2 years + accidental damage protection from Microsoft, but I doubt the same period will be any cheaper.. and I doubt the service will done right. I don't know if they'll just replace it to you to repair it, same for Microsoft.

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
So there is a difference in warranty/ extended coverage with Best Buy (or similar box store)?

Is the consensus that extended warranties are a good idea for these SP's?

rubytuesday922

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No advantage at all. In fact, it will likely be better to purchase from Microsoft online. They are running some Holiday promotions where if you purchase a SP2 + Type Cover you get a free Touch Cover. Also, you are able to apply a 10% student discount (if it applies to you). Not to mention, if you go in store, they were doing One Note demonstrations and if you do it, you will receive a $35 coupon (I believe). This may or may not still be going on. I would say go for Microsoft.com and purchase with a Discover credit card or AMEX for the additional year warranty through your CC company.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I see that many of you have purchased your SP 2 through Microsoft online.

Is there any advantage to that over just going to, say, Best Buy?

I'm considering the SP 2 as my everything computer... my pad, my notebook, and my desktop. Will want to hook it up to two monitors, bluetooth keyboard/mouse, etc for the desktop application.

My concern is more about you wanting to use it as your "everything" computer. I get the idea of it being all things, I even thought about that myself. The I5 processor is powerful enough but you're talking about around $1,300 for a 128 GB model with a touch or type screen. I guess you could use the cloud but it seems to me that you would also need an external hard drive (remember about 20GB on your SP will be used for OS). The SP only comes with one usb port so you'll also need a hub to connect those monitors and keyboard. It's your money but it looks to me like you're spending over $1,500 for the setup you want. I think there are a lot better and cheaper options.

With that said good luck on your search.

kelton

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the "everything computer" (laptop, tablet, desktop) solution...

I would expect that I'd need a USB hub and definitely external hard drive. I already have the monitors.

But what's the cheaper option? Given that I need a tablet and an ultrabook and a destop.... it is hard to think of cheap options that would give me all of these.
Decent ultrabook ($800+?), tablet ($300), and a low end desktop ($500).

It is possible that the Surface is the cheapest option. Even if it were exactly equal to all of those things, it might be massively more convenient to just have the one, tidy, little computer rather than all of that.... stuff! That alone is worth something.

Just wondering if I might be missing something (I often am)

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I hear what you're saying. I might suggest a high powered laptop and use it as your laptop/desktop replacement. Last year I got a 17" hp media laptop for $600. quad core, amd A8 processor, 75GB hard drive. That would leave you the balance or whatever your budget is to get a tablet, be it a "pro" or "rt".

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
For me personally, I chose Best Buy over Microsoft this time in respect to the loyalty/rewards program that Best Buy offers. Not sure if you know about the details, but you essentially get a percent of your purchase back in certificates that you can use on just about anything when you earn at least $5 worth of points. In the upper tiers, you can opt to save your points up for when you want to use them, and this is one thing I really like. I'm currently sitting on a little over $200 worth of points. For the higher tiers of membership, you also need to spend a certain amount per year. Best Buy just changed the tier structure a bit, and the highest is $3,500 spent annually. The SP2 can help towards that number.

Warranty-wise, I think I've read on here that some have bought the Surface Complete (or whatever it was called) from Microsoft even if the tablet itself wasn't bought from them. Also, as others have pointed out, you can use a credit card you have to take advantage of extended warranties, purchase protections, and even double-dip on loyalty points through the card.

My RT and SP1 were bought from Microsoft for the "support your local businesses" approach, but I needed about $1,800 more to maintain my tier on Best Buy and I do like the points program.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
No advantage at all. In fact, it will likely be better to purchase from Microsoft online. They are running some Holiday promotions where if you purchase a SP2 + Type Cover you get a free Touch Cover. Also, you are able to apply a 10% student discount (if it applies to you). Not to mention, if you go in store, they were doing One Note demonstrations and if you do it, you will receive a $35 coupon (I believe). This may or may not still be going on. I would say go for Microsoft.com and purchase with a Discover credit card or AMEX for the additional year warranty through your CC company.

Actually, student special is exclusive to U.S right now.
Including the special you speak off.. well any specials really.

The only thing at discount and/or student special in Canada, despite being just up north is the Surface Pro 1 and Surface RT. Yay?!
I would normally not mind an old version, but the short battery life of the SP1 makes it a big no for else, else I would have already bought it on day 1.
I didn't get the SP2, as it's sold out everywhere. (I guess that is why there is no student specials or any discounts, it sales well here).

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy also offers free financing with their Best Buy card. I'm not sure how the warranty works though... I know with the RT's they get swapped out on the spot and warranty fulfilled, I haven't seen any Pros come in under the warranty though. They may (because they are technically PC's) go out for service, which isn't technically bad, because your plan does not become fulfilled.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy also offers free financing with their Best Buy card. I'm not sure how the warranty works though... I know with the RT's they get swapped out on the spot and warranty fulfilled, I haven't seen any Pros come in under the warranty though. They may (because they are technically PC's) go out for service, which isn't technically bad, because your plan does not become fulfilled.

Actually it's bad... the Surface Pro 2 is super glued shut. Those that have a unit opened once, don't have the screen flush as it was before, due to left over glue. A replacement is best, and if anyone should service the device, its Microsoft, not some third party that have a reputation of using hot glue on everything, and unofficial parts. But if Best Buy gives you a replacement, then that's great!

When you purchase the Surface Pro 2, you can go on Microsoft website, and you can get Microsoft warranty there for your device.
Ask Microsoft Store Chat for the appropriate link for your region.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Actually it's bad... the Surface Pro 2 is super glued shut. Those that have a unit opened once, don't have the screen flush as it was before, due to left over glue. A replacement is best, and if anyone should service the device, its Microsoft, not some third party that have a reputation of using hot glue on everything, and unofficial parts. But if Best Buy gives you a replacement, then that's great!

When you purchase the Surface Pro 2, you can go on Microsoft website, and you can get Microsoft warranty there for your device.

they call it "service" but much of the time they just send a refurb that doesn't fulfill your plan

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Your statement about Microsoft using superglue, etc., is patently untrue. As an almost exclusive rule, they also do not service anything you send in under warranty. They simply verify condition and then ship out a refurbished replacement unit. They do not arrive with non-flush screens or superglue.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
they call it "service" but much of the time they just send a refurb that doesn't fulfill your plan

Microsoft's practice is the same as Apple's. Yes they send you a refurbished unit almost all of the time but so what? People should realize that if they were to take the time to disassemble and repair a closed unit that would 1) take more time, and 2) give you a refurbished product that happens to be your originally defective one. Quite frankly, the practice of shipping refurbished units is now virtually industry standard. I don't see why people insist on harping on companies shipping refurbished replacement. It is coming from the manufacturer in this case, not some third party, and gets you a replacement quickly. This is as opposed to Dell's eleven day long next day service on my laptop. BTW, Best Buy almost always uses third parties for warranty support. Given Best Buy's tendency to sell still defective items as certified refurbished/open box, I would take Microsoft's tandard warranty any day.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
BTW, Best Buy almost always uses third parties for warranty support. Given Best Buy's tendency to sell still defective items as certified refurbished/open box, I would take Microsoft's tandard warranty any day.

Uh Best Buy's warranty support goes through the manufacturers themselves. And open box items are resealed by the customer service agents, so that depends on how thorough that person's testing is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo