I have a $1000 brick after update

bluetroll

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is terrible. It's a good thing that I'm not in desperate need of my Pro 2.

The SP2 won't charge while connected to power. The battery level is stuck at 16%.

This firmware update totally killed my device.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
This is terrible. It's a good thing that I'm not in desperate need of my Pro 2.

The SP2 won't charge while connected to power. The battery level is stuck at 16%.

This firmware update totally killed my device.

I'm stuck a little at the disconnect between "completely killed" and "still has a charge". Bricks do not normally tell you they have 16% battery life, haha.

Is it a battery issue or a battery level issue? But that assumes it still works it just says "16%" all the time.

Last edited:

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Mbytes posted this in another thread, and it worked for me. My battery now displays the correct percentage.

It's a miss read of the battery circuit. Microsoft is looking into the issue, but there is a fix, apparently the following works:

1. Shut down.
2. Hold volume Up (+) button and power button for 15 sec. Surface logo may flash, but don't let go for 15 sec.
3. Let go of both buttons after 15sec.
4. Wait 10 secs.
5. Press power button to start up.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mbytes posted this in another thread, and it worked for me. My battery now displays the correct percentage.

It's a miss read of the battery circuit. Microsoft is looking into the issue, but there is a fix, apparently the following works:

1. Shut down.
2. Hold volume Up (+) button and power button for 15 sec. Surface logo may flash, but don't let go for 15 sec.
3. Let go of both buttons after 15sec.
4. Wait 10 secs.
5. Press power button to start up.

This does work. But it is only ttemporary. I have to do it once every other day to get it to read the battery level properly. To check out the battery stats, use "powercfg -batteryreport" command in the command prompt. Make sure you run it as administrator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05